whats the value of lhd tourings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    Who said impossible? Read my post. Makes common mods harder and more expensive. Cost vs benefit, narrow buyer pool, lower price. Cut and dry. As stated, the explanation for the price difference is very simple.

But as someone who has an extensively modified RHD e30 nothing has really been that hard to source or modify. Literally the only thing on my swap that was difficult was adding A/C to a car that had none to begin with. The exhaust really wasnt that bad and typically have to be modified with S54s anyways. swapping to a manual from an auto you do have to source the pedal assembly but once again $125 shipped to my door and not hard to find at all. I understand the price difference but if someone is turned away from a RHD car because of modifications believe me its not that much more difficult or expensive.

Comment

thanks for the advice guys this has been extremely informative and kinda reinforced what I thought. Sad to face the realty that I won't be buying a touring
      :(

Comment

If you have $7000 you have enough for a touring. Just not that crappy example you linked.

Also, you are in Baltimore, so shipping from overseas is cheap/convenient, and you can get one right from the other side of the pond. Check out the DIY in the touring section, ask me questions if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shftr8 View Post
          But as someone who has an extensively modified RHD e30 nothing has really been that hard to source or modify. Literally the only thing on my swap that was difficult was adding A/C to a car that had none to begin with. The exhaust really wasnt that bad and typically have to be modified with S54s anyways. swapping to a manual from an auto you do have to source the pedal assembly but once again $125 shipped to my door and not hard to find at all. I understand the price difference but if someone is turned away from a RHD car because of modifications believe me its not that much more difficult or expensive.
          Why are you insisting on trying to tell me I'm wrong because of your personal experience? You asked why RHD cars are cheaper than LHD cars, I answered you with an explanation of why the market acts the way it does. So you don't care as much about the added complications, you are not the market in general. When it comes to pricing trends it's not about you and your car, it's not about just how much worse or more expensive any of it is, it's about what the market wants and why they want it. People are willing to pay more for LHD because it's easier and makes more sense in a LHD market, RHD only has one advantage and that's that it's unusual and mildly interesting, end of story.
          Last edited by varg; 01-22-2018, 07:15 PM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Why are you insisting on trying to tell me I'm wrong? You asked why RHD cars are cheaper than LHD cars, I answered you with an explanation of why the market acts the way it does. So you don't care as much about the added complications, you are not the market in general. When it comes to pricing trends it's not about you and your car, it's not about how much worse any of it is, it's just about what the market wants and why they want it. People are willing to pay more for LHD because it's easier and makes more sense in a LHD market, RHD only has one advantage and that's that it's unusual and mildly interesting, end of story.
            But what your telling me is that they are worth less because of the extra cost and complexity of modifying them and I'm telling from experience that statement is incorrect. The e30 was designed as a LHD car and was modified to right hand drive and they did as minimal changes as possible to make it work. Like a few others have said they do come with some inconveniences and I feel that's the difference. If it's because of the cost of modifying them it's because people don't know any better. If someone doesnt want an e30 that's not a US version then don't get a touring.

Comment

Im telling you they are worth less because almost no one wants them. How is that for an answer?
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

People on UK/AUS forums complain plenty about how RHD conversions are annoying, and they have ready parts access.

The reality is, when importing you should try to stick with what is commonly available in the country you are in. So, here we have LHD parts galore and next to no RHD parts, and for that reason alone you should buy LHD.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  People on UK/AUS forums complain plenty about how RHD conversions are annoying, and they have ready parts access.

The reality is, when importing you should try to stick with what is commonly available in the country you are in. So, here we have LHD parts galore and next to no RHD parts, and for that reason alone you should buy LHD.

I don't disagree with LHD cars being easier to modify based on parts availability among other things but if you want a car with readily available parts why would you being buying a touring in the first place? I'm not arguing the fact that LHD tourings are worth more then RHD and I'm not arguing the fact that RHD cars are harder to modify. I just don't believe the market value should be based off those factors (from personal experience). If someone wants to buy a RHD touring and wants to modify it they shouldn't be afraid just because its a RHD car. Now the fact that any type of drive through toll road etc is a pain in the ass I can say yes for sure it is.

Comment

well, whether its fair or not - that's just how it is.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      well, whether its fair or not - that's just how it is.

I completely agree with that

Comment

Working...
                      X