Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 mtech 1 wing restoration, rubber&fiberglass Posting more pics tomorrow though!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not yet been slammed with work will post some pictures when I get around to finishing it

Comment

Looks good. Wondering how you got the diamondschwarz color, I need to paint mine and get my hands on some diamond black paint. Tempted to try this on an mtech 1 spoiler
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

What type of compressor and gun you are using?

Comment

VERY nice job!

I have the regular "is" spoiler. Two screws rotted out, and I have been trying to use epoxy to put them back in. My biggest problem is that I still cannot get the spoiler to pull all the way to the trunk. There is a gap at that point, making it a bit unattractive, and prone to leaks. Should I drill deeper into the spoi;er and try to remount the bolt lower? I actually tried using the screws that hold in the tail lights as they are screws on one end, and machine screws on the other. Did not work

Comment

bump for more resto
            ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
              I used plastidip to restore the rubber piece.
              I was wondering about doing this to mine. How´s it holding up?
              My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
              http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Originally posted by spanish pants View Post
                I was wondering about doing this to mine. How´s it holding up?

Holds up fine, hasn't cracked or peeled anywhere. It's like a new layer of rubber

Comment

So I know all of you have been waiting patiently or progress on this. I need shot the final coat because I was lazy and I wanted to see if it would crack. Turned out it did and I found out the guy gave me the wrong primer. So I bought ppg urethane primer ppg epw 115 water borne
                  I sanded all the old pant off and I hacked away
                  Here's the pics
                  There were lots of pin holes that the primer did a good job at filling. I've never used this stuff so it's new to me. I sprayed it on really thin then thicker after letting it sit between coats, there were places in the rubber that were hairline crak which cause the primer to crack only where the small crack in the rubbe are, but it needs to be sanded down as thin as possible to get rid of the cracks. I basically removed 70% of the primer I payed down
                  It caused it to soak in most of the imperfections. If this doesn't work, I could maybe think f one more product that does. Considering this primer is about 50$ a quart.

First pic after primer was sanded off

It's on very thin here so you can see the imperfections

The cracking I talked about on the new primer, it worried me but I realized its the rubber under neath so the key is to sand it till it is very thin to where it fills in the pores

When it was left on thick I bent it down and this happens

There were a ton of pin holes

Sanded

Thin like this

How I wanted the wing before the last coat of sealer

It was to moist out tonight to shoot water borne
                  That's it for now !

Comment

Comments please ! Advice ect !

Comment

Looks like its coming out good, I never realized how much work it took to restore a Mtech 1 spoiler

Comment

Comment

Damn you photobucket.
                          SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                          IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                          BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

yup

Comment

Hi everyone ... great thread ... I’ve just located one of these - great thread oP —— would appreciate anyone who has done this providing an update - how are your repairs holding up?

thanks!

Comment

My wing has held up pretty well over the years I’ll post pics one of these days

Comment

Working...
                                X