No announcement yet.

91 318is Field Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recaros are still at the upholstery shop but I think they should be back to me this week. $40 is what I was quoted, and I'm happy with that price.

Saturday and Sunday the local SCCA had a double header, so I made plans to get power steering back in and functional beforehand. I spent some time scrubbing and cleaning up all the parts before installing, and so far so good. In fact, it feels like a completely different car now. I should have done this a long time ago.

Anyway, Saturday was sunny and pretty toasty. Not a huge turnout with only 37 entrants, and I managed to land 31st overall. I know for a fact there was more left in me, I just haven't had this little steering effort before, so it surprised me how much more aggressive I was able to drive.

Sunday there were quite a few more entrants, over 50 if I remember correctly. A nasty storm rolled through around 4 AM so the course started out pretty wet. By the 6th run it was fairly dry other than a couple spots. I finished 25th overall running extremely respectable times considering I'm only on 300tw tires with a lot of sidewall flex. One thing that really helped me was riding with a couple drivers to see what lines they are running. Usually I am too close in grid to the hot shoes, but managed to place myself far enough to get ride time in. I think it's almost time for some 200tw tires and some good Hawk HP plus pads. I love this car.

Comment

Recaros hopefully get picked up this afternoon. The plan is to at least install the driver seat, and then focus on getting all of the A/c parts installed.

Got a few in action shots from Saturday and Sunday:

Comment

I got the seats back from the upholstery shop. They will work fine, but one of the seat seams looks a little weird to me. Unfortunately the person who made the covers is responsible for how they fit and are finished, so I can't blame the guy who helped fasten them up for me. Bottom line I don't think I would buy the covers from them again unless they addressed some issues first. For now I have the driver side mounted up until I get to make another pair of brackets.

I need to find another one of these loop thingys, and figure out how to lengthen the driver side cable.

Comment

So I bought a distraction a week ago. Originally I planned to just part it out and double my money, but instead I'm going to try to make it a $2019 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge car. It's a 83 320is with Recaros, 5 speed, and a 3.91 lsd diff. I'm pulling the m10 and installing the Field Rat m42/trans stuff, and a full coilover suspension. So far I'm just in the parts collecting stage, but it looks like I should be able to keep it all within the allowed budget.

Comment

And I thought E30 diving boards were bad enough
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
              And I thought E30 diving boards were bad enough

Some of the worst other than the 6 series US market bumpers.

Good news with that though is I have a fiberglass front Motorsport replica and a fiberglass rep rear euro bumper.

Comment

Had some fun at another double header autocross last weekend. It was hot, but fun as hell. I think it's time to get stickier tires and some better brake pads. Maybe install the 22mm front sway bar.

Comment

Looks like a fun time! Did you end up getting the Recaro's in? Mind sharing some pics? I just picked up a set today.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
                    Looks like a fun time! Did you end up getting the Recaro's in? Mind sharing some pics? I just picked up a set today.
                    I’ve got one installed on the driver side. Still need to make another set of brackets to fit the other. I’ll snap some pics eventually and post them. It’s ungodly hot plus I’m in the middle of selling my house and building another. Hoping to have functional AC after tomorrow.

Comment

So I forgot to put up some pics from last Sunday's autocross. It made getting the AC fixed a high priority. We saw 100+ temps Thursday and Friday, so over the weekend I did my best to get everything installed. Dryer, parallel flow condenser, expansion valve, r134a pressure switch, evaporator, and of course some Pag oil. I was able to pull a good vaccum and it held without moving for a couple hours. I then tried to put some r134a in it and the compressor wouldn't engage. Gotta troubleshoot what that's all about, but I hope it's simple. A/C work sucks donkey balls.

Comment

Had autocross with the Vette club on the 5th and the SCCA yesterday. I guess the local news showed up yesterday and now my car is famous with about 3 seconds of screen time.

https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/n...oss/1364743136

Comment

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
                          Had autocross with the Vette club on the 5th and the SCCA yesterday. I guess the local news showed up yesterday and now my car is famous with about 3 seconds of screen time.

https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/n...oss/1364743136
                          ah man i was really hoping it would be screen time of it driving vs. parking. Pretty cool either way though.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            ah man i was really hoping it would be screen time of it driving vs. parking. Pretty cool either way though.

Me too. I guess I should have put a disclosure on that....

Comment

So Hoosier has a closeout sale on 225 50 14 a7s. $100 each with a flat rate of $15 shipping no matter how many tires you order. This works out perfect, as I have the stock weaves laying around that will eventually be used for the GRM Challenge e21 I'm working on. I decided to give these a try last at last Sunday's autocross on the e30 to see what the fuss is all about. YES. I will take a truck load, thank you! I knocked roughly 4 seconds off my normal times, and with some seat time I think that could end up being another second quicker. Maybe. Either way, I love the new found grip. So I ordered another set, putting my grand total for two sets at $830. Way less than shelf price for just one set. I've got another double header this weekend, so hopefully I can climb my way to the top of the pack.

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Almost forgot the local SCCA used my car for the event flyer too!

Comment

looking forward to hearing how that 22mm bar changes things.
                                1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Working...
                                X