Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UUC * First ever DOT-compliant LED headlight system - installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UUC * First ever DOT-compliant LED headlight system - installed.

Hey guys,

I've been working with the J.W. Speaker lighting company and their DOT-compliant LED headlamp components.

JWS is an American lighting manufacturer and technology developer that provides high-end technology solutions for industrial, military, and OEM applications. Truly the sort of American company we can all be proud of.

This new LED system is an outgrowth of their airplane lighting components, specifically a PAR36 size, but developed with full DOT and ECE compliance for automotive use, marked right on the lighting unit.

Low beam:

High beam:

I designed an adapter plate that uses the standard BMW headlight adjuster mounts for the US ellipsoid headlight frames (not for the steel sealed beam frames). Complete, normal headlight aiming functions are retained. Minor modification of the high beam frame opening is required, but nothing that would prevent reverting to the original headlights.

Original lights on passenger side (with HID low beam), JWS LEDs on driver side:

More pics:

After my first night drive, I can say this is a product that delivers more than expected. Let me put it in relative terms; remember the shock and satisfaction at the improvement you may have experienced when upgrading to HIDs from regular halogens? This is that much (or more) of an upgrade again, beyond HID. With LEDs on the driver side and HID low/halogen high on the passenger side, it looks like the passenger side has something wrong, like they're not working right, dull and indistinct. The driver side is a laser-etched projection of pure light.

Comparisons made by blocking one side at a time. Camera on fixed exposure, not automatic, so all pics exposed the same:

(I know the aiming needs to be adjusted down slightly, but that does not materially affect the output or beam pattern.)

Patterns...

Low beam:

High beam:

UUC will be offering these as kits for the E30, but pricing is still undetermined.
    Last edited by Rob@UUC; 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM.
    - Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks * 678-679-5360 * http://www.uucmotorwerks.com * rob@shortshifter.com
    Phone calls preferred. Email second. No PMs, that's why I have real email. :mrgreen:

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

Your source for E30 Ultimate Shifters, SwayBars, Brake parts/Big Brake Kits, and much more!

First ever LED headlight conversion - [ CLICK HERE ]

Wow. These are actually really cool looking. Can't wait to see a price.

Comment

Can't say I'm a huge fan, but its really cool that you're offering new products to the community.

Comment

Cant say I am a huge fan either. Looks a little too much like the ebay tails with the 3 circles.

I am sure the product performs though, and curious about pricing as well.
        sigpic

Comment

Damn this looks nice, might get a set.
          WTT: 1989 325i w/ many mods for stock e28. Pm me if interested.

Comment

Someone just has to figure out a way to make them look aesthetically pleasing and they will be awesome. Love the concept.
            Originally posted by z31maniac
            I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

They make that e30 look like a Android from the future! If I would rock these.. Id put a DARK black lamin-x overlay on them so you cant see them

Fast life fuck slow..Low life for life
              Let the mix flow..Let the night flow
              I'm so gone ✗ ♥ O

Comment

Originally posted by IminDiegoTriick View Post
                They make that e30 look like a Android from the future! If I would rock these.. Id put a DARK black lamin-x overlay on them so you cant see them
                Wouldn't that reduce the light output anyway? lol
                -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

Went on their site, damn good products they offer. Wonder what the prices are like.

Comment

Originally posted by dnova89 View Post
                    Wouldn't that reduce the light output anyway? lol
                    Yeah probably. only solution I can think to make it look better.

Fast life fuck slow..Low life for life
                    Let the mix flow..Let the night flow
                    I'm so gone ✗ ♥ O

Comment

Cool product, nice to know there is still new things being made for our e30s, I wouldn't rock a pair, but I'll sure promote them

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

im glad you're providing new products, it just looks worse then sealed beams in my opinion. could you have done something that resembles smoked smilies.
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Rob, you've been around a while and have had some hits and some misses. This one looks like a miss. Those are the ugliest lights I've ever seen for a BMW. Arachnid comes to mind. The lights are smaller diameter with exposed screws? Are you comparing your new lights to 22 year old pitted fluted US Spec DOT ellipsoids? I always thought LED's didn't provide enough light and should never be used for low/high beams. What's different here?
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I think they look pretty sweet. I would like to see what they look like on the car turned off in the daylight. From a reasonable distance, to see if they look out of place or not on a 20 some year old car.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                            This is the internet. Just make something up.

Comment

Super cool product, and I love the idea of LED headlights. But I can't say I love the look of these.

Comment

Working...
                              X