Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you let a stranger rent your BMW via the Turo App? I'm renting a Porsche 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you let a stranger rent your BMW via the Turo App? I'm renting a Porsche 911

I wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts as I'm super anal about letting anybody drive my car (let alone a stranger). Curious if any of you would or are using the app. For those unfamiliar with it, its kind of like an AirBNB for cars??

Anyways the buddy who intro'd me to it used it to rent someone's newer X5 when he visited San Diego a few weeks ago for like $80/day. I decided to check it out since the wifey and I are headed out to Denver in a few weeks.

I found a dude renting out his manual '07 Porsche 911 4S for $130/day. Another guy renting out his brand new Porsche GT3 with a rollcage for $330/day (!!! figured that probably wasn't the best option for early December in the mountains lol).

I wound up pulling the trigger on the 4S and we head out in a few weeks. Just curious would anyone on here actually let a stranger rent their BMW??? I can't imagine doing that with my own car. Or has anyone used the app to rent someone's car? How was the experience? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Love to hear your guys thoughts. Interesting concept and IMO a great way to get access to driving bucket list cars for cheap without going through some exotic dealer.

EDIT- Here's the $25 off referral link they sent me for first time users:

The 911 that we booked (not a fan of the black rims, but it's a 911 none the less.)

And maybe next time... :D
    2007 Big Twin Turbo 335i + 1989 E30 Track Car

No fcking way would I rent to stranger. Ever
    sigpic
    1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Sounds like a good idea for someone who wants to drive many cars that you cannot own. If I had a expensive luxury car and let someone borrow it I'd be scared to know that they are beating on it and then have to pay someone to fix it if it breaks

Comment

hell fucking no i wouldn't do that!!!!!
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I would rent other peoples cars, but mine?... nope. I let a good friend borrow my car once and you saw how that worked out
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Would not rent out my car to anyone. Hell, my best friend drove my E30 only a couple of times during my years and years of ownership. Some of the time we even lived in the same house and shared a garage.

I wouldn't rent my car because I am not a baller. I bet people renting these beautiful cars own a SC'ed Range Rover, an SRT-8, etc. and have this extra car they drive around on weekends sometimes, but they aren't attached to it at all in the way we are to our shitboxes.

I would probably rent someones car if I was in the mood. I agree with everyone on the bucket list aspect of it. I would just have a hard time justifying renting one. The wife drives a new Crosstrek which does great on roadtrips and I have the M3/4/5 that satisfies the hooning desire.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
              I wouldn't rent my car because I am not a baller. I bet people renting these beautiful cars own a SC'ed Range Rover, an SRT-8, etc. and have this extra car they drive around on weekends sometimes, but they aren't attached to it at all in the way we are to our shitboxes.
              That's exactly it. I would rent a car, sure. But I would not let anyone drive my e30 without me nearby. Not out of my sight.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                but they aren't attached to it at all in the way we are to our shitboxes.

so very true.

And probably a little depressing.

HA
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I'm pretty sure that C4S has snow tires on it in the picture.

Comment

If you're rich enough to own nice cars and not care about them, why would you bother renting them out when you don't need the money? That makes no sense to me whatsoever, especially when you factor in the increased repair costs and insurance premiums.

As for my own cars, there's no way I'm renting any of them out. Even replacing my daily (E34 M5) would be incredibly difficult with an unlimited budget as these cars are rare everywhere now, and it would be very easy for someone to ruin the (N.L.A.) cloth interior.

Comment

I dont think I could do this my self, Having to send the car there, rent it out and come and get all for $60-130 dollars doesn't seem worth it when you have full time work to do. Maybe if I were part time and e30's were easily to find then yes I would give it shot. worst comes to worst the company pays you for repairs?

Comment

wow, i can't possibly see insurance companies being OK with this. most of them won't cover your spouse or children as drivers unless they are specifically stated on your account, let alone complete strangers.

there must be a super long legal disclaimer (in the favor of the owner) that probably says you are responsible for an engine overhaul if a bug splats on the radiator. or, maybe these are just dealers or rental agencies posing as regular people?

Comment

No, because nobody would want to and they would fuck it up if they did. Also it seems like a monumentally stupid idea in general.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Not an E30. E30's are usually modified to our tastes and a lot harder to replace.

However, it would be a good way to help pay off a new 235i, or something that can be easily replaced if something does happen.

Comment

Yeah, if you manage to rent it out 4-6 times a month, that's the car payment.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X