This is Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
    Struggling to understand why the 6DII is $1900 though, when you could spend $100 more for a Sony A7III, 5DIII like Sleeve said for nearly $500 less, Or even the A7II with its flaws for $900 less. Especially for stills, it makes almost no sense at that price point. Besides saving me buying a lens right away.
    I will be honest I had not really checked out the specs other than very briefly just after launch of 6D II. I may have spoken too soon, seems to me that the 6D II is mostly a 80D but with a FF sensor. The A/F seems to be much better compared to my 6D, which I have not found too much down fall with other than with fast moving things like wildlife/birds/planes. We seem to shoot a lot of similar stuff, while they fixed the A/F crippling of the 6D seems now (according to DPR) the D/R at low ISO seems to be very much lacking even compared to the 5D III..... And this is where the 6D was the choice over the 5's when before it was replaced.

Given you have little in the way of glass investment now, you have lots of freedom to look. I will admit when I got to play with a Nikon D810 a couple years ago, I nearly switched formats the next day. I know thats likely way more than your planing on spending though.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

I think Im just gonna grab a 6D now to be honest, I don't want to deal with Canons memes on new bodies, but still want full frame. Unless a deal pops up on an A7II for around the same cost with a lens.

Mainly just missing that amount of depth I was getting with full frame rental.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        I will be honest I had not really checked out the specs other than very briefly just after launch of 6D II. I may have spoken too soon, seems to me that the 6D II is mostly a 80D but with a FF sensor. The A/F seems to be much better compared to my 6D, which I have not found too much down fall with other than with fast moving things like wildlife/birds/planes. We seem to shoot a lot of similar stuff, while they fixed the A/F crippling of the 6D seems now (according to DPR) the D/R at low ISO seems to be very much lacking even compared to the 5D III..... And this is where the 6D was the choice over the 5's when before it was replaced.

Given you have little in the way of glass investment now, you have lots of freedom to look. I will admit when I got to play with a Nikon D810 a couple years ago, I nearly switched formats the next day. I know thats likely way more than your planing on spending though.
        The D810 really is an impressive body. I shot one for the air races. I'm on the fence as to whether I want to buy a second body to supplement my D600. Speaking of the D600, I'm still impressed with mine. I have shot some damn good pics with it. I have no interest in selling it, but I am looking to buy a second body to cut down on switching lenses all the time (it takes less time to put one camera down and pick hte other up) I'd look into either the D600 or D610. They are pretty cheap now and still very capable. Have a look at all the different stuff I've shot with the d600. https://www.flickr.com/photos/47309961@N03/albums

Will
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

This guys work is stunning. Yes, its a video, made from still images (a ton of still images) All his videos are amazing.

----------------------------------------- The music in this film was composed by Kerry Muzzey and is a track called The Secret History from the album…

Will
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Really cool! I did a test timelapse out my window to test out the new functionality of camera with MagicLantern installed coincidentally.

Youtube embed not work anymore?

Jpeg sequence so bland and ugly colors, but it was while I was away for 8 hours so didnt want my desktops hard drive to be full on returning.

I want to do a RAW sequence of something a bit more interesting, but after just doing this test what the guy did in the video above must have taken ages. The part in the car too where it tracks the clouds must have been ass unless there is technology to do that on a gimbal.
            willschnitz

Comment

I've been trying to teach myself how to do hyperlapse movies over the past couple evenings. I caught this frame (originally in color) with my first attempt (the video ended up kinda sucking, but some of the images I caught were cool)

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Really deep clouds. I'm dying to go back home to Washington to explore my photography more, can only do so much on foot in a small Wisconsin town and feel satisfied.
                willschnitz

Comment

Picked up a barely-used 70D for $400 a couple months ago, and have since acquired nice used examples of a canon 24-70mm f4 IS, and a canon 70-200 f4 IS. Anxious for car season to start up again.
                  Current:
                  1989 325i
                  1988 M3
                  1987 325ic
                  Past:
                  2001 330ci
                  2001 M3

Comment

Tricked my 1-4 stop Variable ND filter into being a 4-6 Stop so I could do a 25s Exposure in daylight, Im going to have to pick up a 10 Stop static cause the variable sucks.
                    20180330-_MG_5086-4 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
                    20180330-_MG_5132 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
                    Last edited by Wschnitz; 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM.
                    willschnitz

Comment

20180401-_MG_5239-2 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
                      willschnitz

Comment

That is a cool shot with the steam from the stack.

I almost bought a D810 body this weekend. It took self restraint not to do so.

Will
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Yeah I was kind of considering D810's too since they are affordable on CL but I think im locked into a New A7III with the cheap 50mm 1.8/f.

I don't want to buy another old camera, some of the QoL stuff on new cameras would be refreshing.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Dug an old friend out, My wonderful Olympus OM-1(MD). Now I can say I shoot full frame ;)

20180402-_MG_5248 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
                            willschnitz

Comment

cant really beat OM glass I nearly bought an OM 3 a couple years back....
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                                cant really beat OM glass I nearly bought an OM 3 a couple years back....
                                Was looking at tele's and some Macros and they are still hilariously expensive.
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X