Fuel gauge headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge headache

Hi everyone, i got my 88 325i convertible last summer and in january my fuel pump crapped out on me. When I replaced my fuel pump, the fuel gauge immediately became temperamental. It would bounce all over the place and sometimes the empty tank light would be on even with a full tank.

Since this issue started I have tightened my ground nut, replaced my fuel relay, replaced the fuel gauge, and replaced the sender unit. I did all of this in that order according to my cost. At this point I really don't know what else to try, I am willing to try just about anything. Your help is greatly appreciated

Have you worked on the wiring under the seat?

Those connectors can get flakey.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

When it comes to wiring I don't know where to begin. I am a noob and have to youtube everything as I go. Not sure how to even gain access to the wires but from what Ive read it seems like:
      brown/black - fuel level light
      brown/yellow - fuel level needle
      brown - ground

My new sender came with another connector Idk if that helps or not, maybe i could cut the existing wires and krimp them to the new connector?

Comment

Here is your wiring diagram..
        http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BM...g%20Manual.pdf
        sigpic
        Steve Corbett
        1983 528E Scrapped
        1983 528E Sold
        1984 745I
        1984 325E - Sold
        1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
        1989 325I Zinno
        1988 635CSI

Comment

link doesnt work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

and im curious, did u ever find a solution?

@rodwent

Comment

You should have 2 senders in an 88, one in each side of the saddle tank. Try lifting your rear seat with key on and tap on the top of the tank and watch the gauge, I've had several do this over the years at the shop.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

and im curious, did u ever find a solution?

Nosir never found a solution. Replaced the gauge, tightened the ground nut on the cluster, got a new sender unit for the fuel pump. I'm going to try messing with the right tank's sender unit today and see if i get anywhere.

Comment

keep us posted

Comment

Working...
                  X