No announcement yet.

wideband opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the LC2 isn't just a repackaged LC1, although it is similar they made changes to calibration and other internal stuff. I think it self calibrates now, for example. also, the new package is much better - you don't have to have the controller right by the sensor, and it has provisions to screw it down. I'm pretty sure everyone with an LC1 is using zip ties...
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

wideband question

I recently added MSPNP2 to my m20b25 and I'm having some issues with Wideband.
      I installed the APSX D1 Wideband with controller and I'm having issues with it reading into MegaSquirt. There are 5 wires Black(ground),Red(12v),Green(screen display), Brown(narrowband) and white(analog). am I suppose to run a wire from analog to my actual ECU or connect narrawband from the car harness to the analog wire from the Wideband.

Comment

4 year old thread - a lot has changed?

The "narrowband out" is to keep your stock ecu happy and not throw a check engine light - hopefully. The analogue out is to go to the aftermarket ECU.

With that said, APSX, I think that is DIYWB and they rebranded??? You might be better served with a more "name brand" wideband with more support.

Keep in mind, not every wideband controller manufacturer agrees on what is a standard voltage to AFR reading. For example, some of AEM products differ between the themselves even. Same company, different outputs. Insane. There is a standard that seems to have taken shape, but it's not universal.

I can only assume there are tons of people out there running super rich or lean, and don't even know it because the analog output of their wideband controller isn't what they programed into their aftermarket ecu.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          4 year old thread - a lot has changed?

The "narrowband out" is to keep your stock ecu happy and not throw a check engine light - hopefully. The analogue out is to go to the aftermarket ECU.

With that said, APSX, I think that is DIYWB and they rebranded??? You might be better served with a more "name brand" wideband with more support.

Keep in mind, not every wideband controller manufacturer agrees on what is a standard voltage to AFR reading. For example, some of AEM products differ between the themselves even. Same company, different outputs. Insane. There is a standard that seems to have taken shape, but it's not universal.

I can only assume there are tons of people out there running super rich or lean, and don't even know it because the analog output of their wideband controller isn't what they programed into their aftermarket ecu.

Thank you for the response. So i am currently running mspnp2 and i have tried to calibrate MegaSquirt with the volts and aft readings from the wide bands recommendations. So right now, i have narrowband from the wideband hooked up to narrowband from the stock o2 sensor harness i cut. Can i run analog wideband to narrowband stock o2 harness or do i have to run the analog wire from the wideband to the the ECU?

Comment

You can run it through the harness as long as you connect it on the other side to your MS. Many people do it that way. You might have to jumper the relay so it triggers with the fuel pump.

Your original post was confusing because it sounded like you had the MSPNP as well as the stock ECU..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              You can run it through the harness as long as you connect it on the other side to your MS. Many people do it that way. You might have to jumper the relay so it triggers with the fuel pump.

Your original post was confusing because it sounded like you had the MSPNP as well as the stock ECU..
              Sorry about that i meant the plug from from the o2. I think my ms already has it set up because my mspnp kit came with spartan lambada wideband but the plug doesn’t match my cars o2 plug.

Comment

Originally posted by OmarE30 View Post
                Sorry about that i meant the plug from from the o2. I think my ms already has it set up because my mspnp kit came with spartan lambada wideband but the plug doesn’t match my cars o2 plug.

Maybe my thread would help, check out the very last post.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...=332076&page=3

Maybe my thread would help, check out the very last post.

Thank you!!!!

Comment

I had the Innovate LC-2 and it went out after about a year of E85 use. It was always pretty slow to warm up (usually taking longer toocome online than EGO correction, even with delay set at 120s), so I switched to an AEM X series inline, and I am very happy with it. Takes no longer than 30 seconds to come online from cold start, and usually less than 15 on warm restart).

Comment

I have an LC-1 in my car, and I'm in the process of setting up an LC-2 on our FSAE engine. The experience was pretty similar between the two - the physical install was easy, but their software is utter garbage. Trying to get LM Programmer to connect to my LC-1 took 3 laptops and 3 different serial-to-usb adapters until I finally broke down and bough an expensive cable. The LC-2 is proving to be just as difficult.

At first glance, the LC-2 seemed to be a nice improvement over the LC-1. Smaller packaging, LSU 4.9 sensor, changing which cable was longer to allow the controller to sit inside the car, connectors that aren't 2 10ft long headphone jacks and don't require a blanking plug on the one that isn't used.

Upon installation, I found that the connectors are extremely cheap. I had a hard time getting the sensor extension cable to seat with their connector. Despite the tight fit, the pins didn't line up and one of them is now bent down inside of the connector. There's no reason for this connector to be on the cable in the first place, so when I shorten it(sensor cable is 2 feet long already, I don't need the extra 8...), I'll just hard wire it. The serial cable connectors are equally cheap feeling... I haven't broken one yet, but I feel like the headphone jacks would last longer. I still can't get it to communicate with LM Programmer. COM ports and driver seem alright, so I guess it just wants more foreplay.

Still mind boggling that they can produce a product with a serial port instead of USB in 2018. I don't think I've owned/used laptop with a serial port in the past 12 years? It doesn't affect functionality once it's setup, but it's still hateful to work with.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Serial port is actually perfectly fine. Its just not an easy, consumer friendly connector - doesnt mean its not good or useful. It would most likely end up using a USB to Serial port convertor anyway, even if they made it "USB".

But yeah, i would happily pay a little more for better quality connectors.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          Stock wiring works great for a pnp, has power, ground, signal and heater all right at the plug. No need to jump any relays, but during tuning I will insert a fused male/male spade jumper so that the o2 stays active all the time. Otherwise, the o2 relay won't energize until the engine is cranking (causing a heater warm up delay on most wb's).

As far as o2 brands, worked with many, but I still have my 12yr old lc-1. I have it wired to a harness that can plug in a cigar lighter, or alligator clip to a battery/power point. It's long enough to clip it in a tailpipe, even. Use it on a professional level to tune cars as a "stand-alone" and only failed once about 3 yr in. Called them up and they RMS'd it and had me a new one back in a few days. The controller box has been run over, dragged under cars and has wires hanging out of it, but it's still kicking.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            I found that the connectors are extremely cheap. I had a hard time getting the sensor extension cable to seat with their connector.
                            Weird, cause I found their new "controller in a cable" the same quality of protecting the sensor that they are know for- and that connector was awesome. Better then what you'll see in a lot of other builds. Innovate got a ton of crap for a bad production run years ago (10 years ago?). I guess that why there is so much distrust.
                            Last edited by george graves; 04-28-2018, 03:55 AM.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Lots of good info here.
                              http://forum.diyefi.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2267

Comment

I spent another day messing with LM programmer, and the LC-2 is communicating with our Motec (although not sure if the values are correct until I can start it and compare, currently waiting on a new cam sensor), and the gauge is connected and working.

I'm really happy I took the time to get LM programmer working, because the default output voltages listed in the manual was not how it came programmed.
                                Originally posted by priapism
                                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                                Originally posted by shameson
                                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                                X