Wide body kit for convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide body kit for convertible?

Is it possible for me to make the M3 kit like this one fit the convertible. Will there be a large gap at the top of the back quarter panels? I would like to make an M3 kit fit my convertible. What is the best route to get this look?
    https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15094...UaAlYCEALw_wcB
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Fubaru View Post
    Is it possible for me to make the M3 kit like this one fit the convertible. Will there be a large gap at the top of the back quarter panels? I would like to make an M3 kit fit my convertible. What is the best route to get this look?
    https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15094...UaAlYCEALw_wcB
    I think the pandem / rocket bunny kit works with verts. At least, I've seen pics from them of a very with it. I'm not sure about the OEM wide body kits from DTM though. I'd really like to wide body my vert some day, and I'll occasionally go through phases of research on them, but there's just not a ton of info regarding verts in my experience. I'm super interested to head what other r3vvers here have to say though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Pandem skirts are the only thing that wont work on the vert - they'll have a gap in them since the very rockers are thicc. I mean you can install it, but it's a small detail that's noticeable.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Should be pretty straight forward for a body shop. If you can get your hands on M3 sheet metal quarters and fenders, there aren't the same problems with the convertible that you might run into on a coupe. The convertible was made into an M3 in Europe, and I'm almost certain that the fenders are just normal M3 fenders blended into the convertible body lines.

On the coupe you run into the issue that the rear C pillar is shaped differently than the M3's. The M3 has the thick trunk lid edge that blends into the C pillar behind the rear window. The convertible of course does not have this issue as it doesn't have a C pillar. For the most part, the M3 rear quarter pannels follow the same lines as the convertible. Add bumpers and side skirts and you should be fine.

I created an animation by overlaying an M3 and a vert to illustrate it better.

Here is the real M3 convertible.

Here are the images I used to make the animation.

Current - 1991 E30 325i Auto Vert, 2013 F30 335i M-sport, 2014 F25 X3 M-sport
        Past - 1986 E30 325es, 1988 E30 M3, 1991 E34 535i 5sp, 1991 E31 850i 6sp, 1992 E36 325i, 1995 E36 M3, 2000 E46 323i, 2009 E60 535i, 2011 E90 335d

Comment

That is amazing!!! Thank you so much for your time. So my problem is going to be finding a M3 sheet metal... Can't use the kit linked in some way eh? Can anyone direct me to a metal replica body kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
            I think the pandem / rocket bunny kit works with verts. At least, I've seen pics from them of a very with it. I'm not sure about the OEM wide body kits from DTM though. I'd really like to wide body my vert some day, and I'll occasionally go through phases of research on them, but there's just not a ton of info regarding verts in my experience. I'm super interested to head what other r3vvers here have to say though.

It does fit :) Not as well as on a coupe though
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Star View Post
              It does fit :) Not as well as on a coupe though
              Nice! Did you have to modify the kit at all? Also, what size and offset wheels are you running with the kit?

Comment

I didn't modify it, but the rocker panel piece doesn't line up as nice as it does on the coupe. Right now Im running style 5s (17") and Im waiting for my rears to be converted to 3 piece so they are wide enough to fit the fenders (they look silly currently).

Comment

Working...
                X