Rear wiper not getting power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wiper not getting power

My rear wiper used to work and then it stopped. When I tried to activate it again I heard some motor feedback and believed the motor seized up.

So today I took the motor apart, cleaned and greased the internals, hooked it up to my power supply and it works great.

When I connected it to the car harness, keyed the car on and pushed the rear wiper button nothing happened. I put my meter on the plug and am getting no power which is really strange.

Fuse #26 is good and I am searching to find out the location of the rear wiper relay in case it died.

So does any other wagon owner out there help me troubleshoot this?
    Last edited by MC Hammered; 03-25-2016, 08:42 PM.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Haven't had to deal with your specific issue. You may want to ask the question on a UK E30 forum, like e30owners.com or e30zone.net.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the rear seat bottoms on my Touring, and got a really quick answer on e30owners.com.

Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

Thanks for the info Cory.

Feel free to ask me questions about how to dismantle the wagon as I've done it a few times already.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
        Feel free to ask me questions about how to dismantle the wagon as I've done it a few times already.
        Awesome! Thanks.
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

After digging around I found where the rear wiper relay is located, and it was disconnected as I suspected.

Part number is 61351385901

Reconnecting the relay it gave me power at the connector. With the rear wiper button pushed in I got a timed sweep, however, I did not get a sweep when I pressed the spray button, so I guess the system knows that no washer pump is activating.

The time per wipe I timed it at 30 seconds which seems too slow. Can someone help me by turning on their rear wiper and tell me what their time per wipe is?

Comment

From what I recall time per wipe varied amongst the touring I had. From a low of 6 seconds per swipe, to a ~10, 10, 10, 30 pattern. I also had issues with that second one not parking the wiper on the same side each time.

Additionally, the wiper should still activate on spray even if there is no fluid in the reservoir.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              From what I recall time per wipe varied amongst the touring I had. From a low of 6 seconds per swipe, to a ~10, 10, 10, 30 pattern. I also had issues with that second one not parking the wiper on the same side each time.

Additionally, the wiper should still activate on spray even if there is no fluid in the reservoir.
              Ha yeah. Sometimes the wiper gets stuck at 90 degrees, so I just hit the wiper a few more times and it eventually returns.
              '89 318i Touring
              '90 Miata

Comment

Mine also stops at random. Sometimes it stays at the random stopping point until I turn it back on. Sometimes it eventually moves to the correct position, even though I've turned off the switch. Been wondering if the relay controls the logic or if there is a separate brain box.
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by Heitzke View Post
                  Ha yeah. Sometimes the wiper gets stuck at 90 degrees, so I just hit the wiper a few more times and it eventually returns.
                  Check to make sure the tip of the wiper blade isn't making contact with the edge of the hatch spoiler. When testing yesterday I thought something broke when this actually happened, it would stress out the motor until it was freed.

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                  Mine also stops at random. Sometimes it stays at the random stopping point until I turn it back on. Sometimes it eventually moves to the correct position, even though I've turned off the switch. Been wondering if the relay controls the logic or if there is a separate brain box.
                  The relay controls the delay and the park feature.

The same wash/wipe relay is used in the e34 and this is what I found out:

unconfirmed info from e34 module.
                  Brown/Black: Wash request. Ground when lever operated to wash.
                  Brown/Violet: Wipe request. Ground when lever operated to wipe or wash.

when tested these inputs to module are all getting power

confirmed on e30 module
                  Violet/Red: Battery power. 12 Vdc when ignition key request.
                  Black/Yellow: Wiper motor. Module feeds 12 volts there to operate motor.
                  Brown: Ground feed for the module.
                  Black/Red: Wiper in park signal. Ground when wiper in park. <- this is the mechanical switch shown in this picture, the white arm is moved using a peg on the other side. when the wiper blade is in park position the switch is activated and provides a ground.

pic borrowed from e30zone wiper motor rebuild page: http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...ing_Rear_Wiper

Comment

Great info! Thanks.
                    1992 325i Cabrio
                    1988 320i Touring
                    2000 M5
                    1977 530i
                    BMWCCA
                    E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                    X