325ix Rebuild-able Viscous Coupling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix Rebuild-able Viscous Coupling

I've had a few questions about this stuff, it should probably be somewhere else besides my stagnant build thread haha:

Finished up another little side project. A rebuildable viscous coupling. First started with cutting a burnt out one open on a lathe.

The basic idea was to add an extension to the VC barrel for the addition of an o-ring groove and a snap ring groove. After taking a few measurements I mocked everything up in autocad. I rough machined the ring from CA40 420SS and welded it to the VC.

The cover that was removed from the VC was machined to the max ID of the stator plates. Then the VC extension was finish machined for a 0.001"-0.003" loose fit to the cover. Then the o-ring and snap rings were added.

Fill hole has been drilled, reamed, and tapped for a 3/8 NPT plug. I also made the custom 0.070" o-ring. Hopefully next week I can pressure test everything and put it together for real.

I added a small anti-rotation pin to the cover. There shouldn't a lot of torque put on the cover with in service but just in case, I wanted to make sure it couldn't go anywhere.

Custom O-ring made

Pressure test was a success! I'm not sure how much pressure I tested it at but shop pressure is 125psi. I just cracked the valve for a second and let it sit overnight. Still was pressurized in the morning. :D

I filled the VC last week after work. Ended up using roughly 3 parts 100,000 cs and one part 60,000 cs silicone fluid. Unfortunately, I only have the one picture, my hands got covered with silicone haha. My method was to add silicone slowly as I added plates to make sure every plate had a film. I used a hand press to push the plates down and squeeze out the silicone as I added more plates. I kept having an issue where when I pressed the plates down the center sleeve would rise up with the silicone, disengaging the first few plates in the bottom of the VC. Had to be very careful to push it back down with out turning it and having the splines get misaligned. With all the plates and spacer rings installed I put the cover on and installed the snap ring. I made sure it wasn't over filled by leaving the fill plug out and removing any excess silicone. Some thread sealant on the pipe plug and its all ready to go. I'm going to try and reassemble the transfer case this weekend with all new bearings, seals, gaskets, and of course the "new and improved" VC :D

And whala, a rebuildable viscous coupling

Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 01-07-2018, 09:24 AM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
    Rear Diff Rebuild
    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
    Transfer Case Rebuild
    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

That's awesome. I just read through the three threads you started. This is good stuff. Thanks.

Comment

Will you be offering this service to us members? And if so have you thought about how much the cost will be?

I look forward to the final in vehicle test report.
      1986 E30 325E
      1989 E30 325iX
      2003 E54 X5.
      1993 Mercedes W124 300E
      1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
      2009 VW Touareg
      2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Nice job! Do you have a way to check the balance?

Comment

At this time I don't have the time to be doing multiples of these. I also don't really want to be held accountable, it's one thing if it breaks in my car but another if I'm taking someone else's car off the road. If anyone has any questions or needs help though I'd gladly help out!

Yes, I could check the balance. We have a Schenk balancer at work that we use for high speed pump impellers. I guess I didn't worry about it at the time but if it shakes I could pull the transfer case apart and check the balance.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
          Rear Diff Rebuild
          Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

although, having this part break wouldnt really do anything bad to the car, just make a mess in the transfer case and no more viscous coupling.

Comment

Bump for pic repair?

Comment

Working on it, really annoying

Build Thread
                Rear Diff Rebuild
                Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Nice work. Would you please repair the pics on this post?

I would love to do something similar.

Thanks!

Comment

if anyone wants a cooked VC you can have mine for the cost of shipping as i just replaced it.

Comment

Pictures fixed.

Build Thread
                      Rear Diff Rebuild
                      Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

it seems you added about 3/4" in length to the vc? there isn't any problem fitting it into the aluminum housing?

the o-ring you made: what is the temperature range of the rubber?

i found the best way to fill my vc was to assemble all the parts and fill it with isopropyl alcohol. i subtracted about 20% and matched the remaining volume with silicone fluid. i also put it in as i assembled the plates. i had an ounce or two left over that i just poured in over the top before it was welded back together.

that stuff is really messy and annoying when you get it on your hands.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

It was only about 3/16", everything past the end of the cover. The main thing was the OD, I had to machine the extension down by about 0.015" from my first design because it just bearly rubbed the inside of the casing.

I think buna o-ring are good up to 250F, it's the same material as what the x-profile o-rings and lip seals are made from.

Yeap that's pretty much what I did. I used mineral spirits, I think it had a full volume of 160cc. Yeah haha, shit was all over my desk and on my tools after I was done ��

Build Thread
                          Rear Diff Rebuild
                          Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Hhmmm intersting...Has this work in the car??

Cool when you are share this whit us
                            https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                            https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

I'm all ears for results. Also could you let us know where you got your silicone fluids from? I'd like to service a few of mine soon. But wanted to get some good advice before attempting. I have machines to use, but not exactly sure what fluid was intended, and the best place to get it. Itd be nice to know your procedure in cleaning out the original vc parts and fluid as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X