Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for cheap brake upgrade

Hi

My car is a 320i which means it has the 45mm front struts, and drums in the rear. Im converting it to a 24v with turbo, and to stay within norwegian laws i need to have brakes that handle the max output of the turbo 400hp engine = 400hp brakes

My goal is to be able to upgrade to ~400 hp in the future, but im fine settling for 321 hp (e36 m3 brakes) atm. So my question is what are the cheapest and smartest way to make this work. I have been allowed to use aftermarket brakes as long as they are from a well known brand. Which means if the rotors and calippers are as big or similar to the e90 m3 for example, i can make the engine 460hp.

The ways i have gathered:

1. e36 m3 front, e30 m3 rear end. complete kit with everything needed for the conversion. also everything is new. 4000$ (only an option if they accept the smaller rear brakes)

2. 50mm e30 struts, 325 rear suspension. 4 lug big brake kit. Probably also around 4000$ because i need the struts and rear suspesion first

any other cheaper way to upgrade brakes to the spec i need? Should i be conserned about geometry changes with the e36 hubs or does it work fine?

Ireland engineering makes a bbk for e30s that have similarly sized rotors as the e36 m3 and the calipers are mondo. That could be a good 4 lug option. There are plenty of 5 lug swap kits on here that offer fitting successive generation m3 kits. Elcoy has one running right now in the for sale section. If you're looking to 5 lug swap for big ole brakes that might be your best bet.

That being said, going fast isn't cheap and neither is stopping fast. Brakes aren't and probably shouldn't be cheap for obvious reasons. Your cheapest option would be to wait for something to pop up in the for sale section thats been used but its pretty rare. Good luck with your quest. Start a build thread!
    Last edited by wworm; 05-16-2018, 05:09 PM. Reason: bits and bobs
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I have considered upgrades too, but then i was reading about the spec e30 racing class and they are mandated to use 6clr oem brakes but open pads and fluid. And those guys really abuse their brakes. So perhaps have a look at what the spec e30 guys use?

I personally put some sort of high performance pad and fluid in my car (6clr oem brakes) and damn does it pull up hard once the pads are hot.

Comment

brakes

Have you checked www.300mm.de? They have some really nice setups.

300/294mm with Porsche 986 Calipers: Brake system for E30 4x100 with PORSCHE Boxster/Cayman 4-Piston Calipers. more Infos ...  

Comment

Working...
        X