Refreshing accessories and stuff on S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refreshing accessories and stuff on S54

So how far did you guys go when refreshing your engines before dropping in.

I am doing full vanos refresh, all new gaskets, adjust valves, rod bearings etc.

But I thought about the accessories. I already have a new E36 compressor for the AC system, but I am considering changing these things while the motor is out.

New Alternator, new water pump and thermostat and a new power steering pump.

I know those things were working when it was pulled from the car, but its sat forever and i was thinking you only have the engine so easily accessible once might as well do it now.

Think its overkill?
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Given what a pain the starter is to change....

I'd do that before the alt, which is easy.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      Given what a pain the starter is to change....

I'd do that before the alt, which is easy.

t
      Forgot about the starter, definitely doing that too!

Comment

Probably replace the throttle actuator position sensor. Once the plenum is on you pretty much can't get to it with the engine in the car. I'd do that before I'd change the power steering pump. These things go bad every now and then. the upper TPS is much easier to access so you can replace that when it goes bad.

PN 13637840383

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
          Probably replace the throttle actuator position sensor. Once the plenum is on you pretty much can't get to it with the engine in the car. I'd do that before I'd change the power steering pump. These things go bad every now and then. the upper TPS is much easier to access so you can replace that when it goes bad.

PN 13637840383
          Thanks!

Comment

I would say starter for sure. My starter acts up and the solenoid doesn’t kick half the time. For now I will wait because it’s a PITA but it takes 3 tries to get it to kick
            1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
            5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
              I would say starter for sure. My starter acts up and the solenoid doesn’t kick half the time. For now I will wait because it’s a PITA but it takes 3 tries to get it to kick
              Thanks, just ordered a new one!

Comment

Replace the harmonic balancer while you're in there, as well as the vanos oil feed line to the accumulator. I'm assuming you're already doing vanos and rod bearings.

Alternator's a good idea, I've gone through two.
                Power steering pump, good idea to rebuild it if a ZF E36 based unit.
                Water pumps don't fail like they do on S50/52s, but if you've got a spare $350 lying around, go for it. Don't expect non-OE ones to last though.
                Replace tensioners
                Powersteering lines, just do it.
                CPV valve on the block under the exhaust
                Cam position sensors-- replace the gaskets, no need to replace sensors unless you know they've gone bad.
                Pilot bearing, rear main seal
                timing chain guides
                buy extra manifold to TB quick disconnect clamps, and buy the special tool for them.
                Throttle position sensors, if you have budget left, and don't want to hate life later. I didn't bother and haven't needed to replace yet.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                X