885 camshaft finished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

885 camshaft finished?

Hey guys. Doing a stroker build on my 87 325e. I pulled apart an 885 head to rebuild and the camshaft doesn’t look that promising. This is my first head rebuild so any advice is welcome! Does this camshaft look toast? This head had almost 200,000miles and a broken rocker arm.
    Attached Files

Yes, it's done.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
      Yes, it's done.
      Bummer! Does this mean I should consider having the cam journals cleaned up? Or look at new rocker arms? I was just planning on having the head skimmed and the valve guides checked.

Comment

Tooost.

New cam and rockers. Imagine all the powaaahhh you'll find under your (new, taller) curve...

Usually the journals on the head are ok, and most machine shops don't like to
        mess with them unless they're pretty bad. They're not working hard at all.

Change your oil regularly, and a high-ZDDP oil helps, too.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          Tooost.

New cam and rockers. Imagine all the powaaahhh you'll find under your (new, taller) curve...

Usually the journals on the head are ok, and most machine shops don't like to
          mess with them unless they're pretty bad. They're not working hard at all.

Change your oil regularly, and a high-ZDDP oil helps, too.

t
          That’s a good way to look at it hah

Comment

If you want to save a few bucks, I have a nice stock cam that came out of a 130K mile 885. New rockers are a must. I personally like the updated Febi units, they're a great bang for the buck, have used them in multiple setups with good success.
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              If you want to save a few bucks, I have a nice stock cam that came out of a 130K mile 885. New rockers are a must. I personally like the updated Febi units, they're a great bang for the buck, have used them in multiple setups with good success.
              Pm sent

Comment

Working...
              X