Why no Z3/M54 oil pans for E30 swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im underneath a Z3 that has an M54 in it, and its a rear sump pan.. As we all know, the subframe and most of the front end is the same as E30.. So why cant we use a rear sump from an m54 on our swaps?

Yes I searched "M54 rear sump pan"

This has to have been talked about long ago, I just thought of it now though and while Im not sure if the pans themselves will swap from M/S50, 52, and 54, I do know that the pan gaskets themselves all look the same

the front of the Z3 is E36. it's the rear that's the same as the E30.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The struts and arms are E36.. But the subframe looks like it would bolt right into an e30

EDIT: Ive talked about this before (just found an old post). They "would" work with mods, but dont really bolt in

Comment

Maybe pan with subframe would work, But probably not since someone would have found that out already

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
          The struts and arms are E36.. But the subframe looks like it would bolt right into an e30

EDIT: Ive talked about this before (just found an old post). They "would" work with mods, but dont really bolt in
          Based on what?

The Z3 front subframe is literally the E36 subframe.
          Attached Files
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Yeah forget I even started this thread. I was tripping I think.

I forgot to factor in that the engine is located further back on the subframe in E36's than it is in E30s. I thought at first you could just adapt your motor mounts to make it line up.. but like another said, the engine would still have to be halfway inside the passenger compartment for the pan to work, lol

Comment

I have a m54 in the e30 racecar. Front sump and custom pickup must be fabricated

M54 is no different in dimensions than a m50. The m54 physically shares 98% of dimensions with m50 and can be adapted to single vanos and 413 computer
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
                Im underneath a Z3 that has an M54 in it, and its a rear sump pan.. As we all know, the subframe and most of the front end is the same as E30..

Had a good laugh

Comment

You can use the original oil pan on the m54 if you get a custom subframe from arcasylum
                  He does good work and your pan isn't touching the floor like all the e34 oil pans when your car is lowered

Comment

Just use the E38 728i M52TU sump and oil pickup (11131710319 & 11417503261). It looks like the pickup can't be ordered from a US dealer, but there are suppliers in Europe who will ship to the US like http://www.schmiedmann.com/ and http://www.estore-central.com/.
                    Last edited by Andrew325is; 01-22-2017, 04:36 PM.
                    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

whoa. That's extremely useful info!

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

bringing back a dead thread - i have a m50nv swapped E30 with ARC asylum pan and subframe - they modified the oil pickup too - does the m50nv from e36 and a m54 share the same oil pick up and mounting locations?

Comment

No, m54 has a different oil pump/pickup.
                          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

There are currently listings on eBay for the E38 sump and oil pickup from Lithuania. The listing for the sump includes a pickup, but it's for the M52. There's a separate listing for the M52TU/M54 pickup. About $500 for both shipped to USA.

Comment

I was just looking over realoem and I noticed the E38 M52 uses the same oil pump pickup tube as the E34 M50 and the E38 M52TU uses the same oil pan as the E38 M52, so you can totally use the E34 M50 oil pan with the E38 M52TU oil pickup tube. Of course the E38 oil pan is fine in the E30, but is more difficult to source from the US, so all you need is the pickup tube. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X