swaping m54 from '02 325xi into e30 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swaping m54 from '02 325xi into e30 318i

After doing some searching on the forum, I still can't find any information about swaping the M54b25 from an '02 325xi(manual) into an e30 (318i manual). I have the opppurtunity to acquire a running 325xi with decent motor for cheap, and i'm wondering if i can just swap the AWD tranny/transfer case with the regular manual tranny from the e46 325i, and follow the same steps like any other M54 swap? Or are they more complications you guys may know about that i can't foresee?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

cant see why it would be an issue. You'll have to change the oil pan too and all the other associated m54 swap stuff. Just look at realoem.com for parts diagrams and compare the two.
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

True, but since I'll be using donor parts from the 325xi I'm concerned about things like DME and ABS not working right if i'm to convert it to RWD in the E30. Just wondering if anyone know whether I can reuse the DME from the 325xi, or will I have to source it from a 325i? What are some differences between the m54 from 325i and 325xi?

Comment

Originally posted by LB318i View Post
        True, but since I'll be using donor parts from the 325xi I'm concerned about things like DME and ABS not working right if i'm to convert it to RWD in the E30. Just wondering if anyone know whether I can reuse the DME from the 325xi, or will I have to source it from a 325i? What are some differences between the m54 from 325i and 325xi?
        ABS in an e30 is a standalone system. I'd do the research to answer your q, but you give a man a fish...

Seems like you need to do some more digging on these specifics. I'd imagine there is no real difference between xi and i ECU's, and considering you'd need to flash it anyways it probably wont matter.
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Yeah, they're the same ECU, just different settings flashed in. You'll need to flash anyway to do the EWS delete and lose all the other e46 equipment, so it shouldn't be a big deal. The e46 ABS also has a separate ABS module, and that connects directly to the wheel sensors, no connection to the transfer case or front diff. You'd either have to delete it and use e30 ABS (or no ABS), or somehow swap over the rest of the sensors for the traction control and DSC system too, because it's all integrated.

Comment

Thank you for verifying that for me. Looks like i'll be doing the swap here soon.

Comment

i'm wondering if i can just swap the AWD tranny/transfer case with the regular manual tranny from the e46 325i,
              It oughta work- you'll have the usual EWS issues, and the xi was always MS43, but that's a bonus if you get the later coils and valve cover.

You will have to figure out getting rid of the front diff. Unless you like having it along for the ride ;)

t
              Last edited by TobyB; 05-25-2018, 12:00 PM. Reason: reading comprehension
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by LB318i View Post
                i'm wondering if i can just swap the E46 AWD tranny/transfer case with the regular manual tranny from the e46 325i, and follow the same steps like any other M54 swap?

It won't fit. It won't work.

Comment

New here

I need help guys,if someone can link me to where I need too be or teach me how to actually post a thread that would be awesome
                  But I just payed 400$ for a 2004 325i m54 (not a m3 or anything special)
                  But I’m gonna rebuilt the engine with a friend ,it has a blown head gasket

Anyways
                  What transmission can go with this motor in a 1991 325i e30?
                  Thank you
                  Last edited by E30 NOobb; 08-31-2018, 09:24 PM. Reason: Did not specify what engine I had

Comment

Working...
                  X