Revving idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revving idle

Hi guys got my first E30 yesterday. Been such a blast so far.

I’ve beeen noticing a high idle what can be the issue? And do you think it’s a concern or normal?

Car info
    1986 325e 146k miles
    New tranny / clutch / timing belt / water pump

Today i changed the oil Castro 20w-50 and bmw oem sir filters
    / replaced some worn out and cracked vac lines

Can the idle be due to oil change? And the eco is tryina learn.
    I believe P.O. used 10w-30 or 40 (saw Mobil 1 bottles in trunk. Mobil 1 does not offer 20w50)

I can also be paranoid and over reacting lmk your thoughts

Here is the link to vids
    (Shot of engine)

(Idle in dash)
    Last edited by tonytones; 07-28-2018, 05:55 PM.

My brother's 325e idles at the same spot and it's never been a problem - we kind of gave up looking for an answer. With the Dinan chip + 91 octane, it still passed smog without an issue too.

We tried all the online suggestions as well except for replacing some idle module near the glovebox. It's green in color.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
      My brother's 325e idles at the same spot and it's never been a problem - we kind of gave up looking for an answer. With the Dinan chip + 91 octane, it still passed smog without an issue too.

We tried all the online suggestions as well except for replacing some idle module near the glovebox. It's green in color.
      Yah it’s not bugging me, but this morning idling at 5-6
      After a few hours out on and off driving in local busy traffic and also
      Ioil change (20w50 i believe this is new to the engine) previous owner had 10w30 oil in trunk

• ⁠Re hose intake to ICV
      • ⁠re hose engine to FPR

I wanna find out what i did wrong so i don do it again lol
      + i think I’m being paranoid because this is my first old car and I’m expecting it to run like a civic

Comment

the same thing happens with mine. 87 325e at cold will idle around 800rpm. then will jump up to pretty much exactly where yours idles but once it gets to opporateing temp. does the idle drop at any point in time when driving?
        also running castrol 20w-50 and used to have mobil 1

Comment

Originally posted by robby41 View Post
          the same thing happens with mine. 87 325e at cold will idle around 800rpm. then will jump up to pretty much exactly where yours idles but once it gets to opporateing temp. does the idle drop at any point in time when driving?
          also running castrol 20w-50 and used to have mobil 1
          Hrm it used to drop during driving but now it’s consistently before 1k in red lights. And it’s not holding i hear a very slight surge.

It’s weird too because my temp gauge is a bit jumpy. When i tap the dash it went down to 800. Maybe the sensor is dirty

Comment

Check the actual throttle linkage. When I got my e30, someone adjusted the linkage tight so it would idle high. It was pulling on the throttle arm at idle. I think there should be a couple mm of play on the wire at idle.

JP
            1984 533i
            1984 733i
            1985 325e
            1998 M3
            1998 318ti
            2008 335i

Comment

Originally posted by wholepailofwater View Post
              Check the actual throttle linkage. When I got my e30, someone adjusted the linkage tight so it would idle high. It was pulling on the throttle arm at idle. I think there should be a couple mm of play on the wire at idle.

JP
              There’s definiely some play in the link age I’m ale to wiggle it

Comment

i also have play in the linkage. tony has it had trouble starting. where it will crank for awhile then surge once started

Comment

It may be your communist Castro oil
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                    It may be your communist Castro oil
                    Im starting to think so as well..

yesterday morning and this morning (after about 10-12 hours of cooling engine) it took a considerable longer time to turn over than before.

I might just go back to 10W40. I live in los angeles so im not worried about a super cold start, but i hate hearing my engine gasping for air to start lol

Comment

Use Mobil 1 0W-40. I've done the research and it's great. You'll notice an obvious change in cold cranking, though maybe not as obvious in LA.
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

what that be suitable for 100+ degree weather though?

Comment

have you removed and cleaned your ICV?
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          '90 325i sedan daily driven
                          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

icv, throttle body, afm every month and a half

Comment

Check for vacuum leaks - they often cause hunting idle. Check all the rubber hoses on the intake, the vacuum lines, intake boot, the oil cap seal, valve cover gasket, vent hose, etc. Don't forget the oil dipstick. If it doesn't fit tight, replace the o-rings (or install some if yours doesn't have any).

Comment

Working...
                              X