Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M42 Drivetrain - What do you think its worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Drivetrain - What do you think its worth?

Folks - Kid totaled my e30 318is ... I might be parting out my car so thoughts on what it would be worth - I'd ask that you provide a realistic experience of what this should sell for as a package or as components:

1. Machine shop refreshed low mileage block and head - It was done at Accurate Engines in Lynnwood a little over a year ago. It has 5,145 miles on it since the full rebuild/refresh.
    - Everything was disassembled, hot tanked, checked and then reassembled
    - Has new rings, honed, head was resurfaced and has new valve stem seal.
    - Received all new bearings, balanced crankshaft and Euro Non-AC M42 Flywheel (same weight as M20)
    - New oil pump, check valve in block, ehring headgasket
    - All new parts - OEM headbolts, crank bolt, cooling elbow, water temp sensor, water pump, thermostat, etc ...
    - Injectors - new modern replacements
    - Motor mounts were new OEM replacement with about 6k miles on them
    - All new timing components - guides, chain, sprockets, plunger
    - updated oil pressure relief valve, spring, and circlip - plastic not metal.
    - mess under the intake done - silicone hoses and new OEM cooling hoses
    - New Intake Boot and new throttle cable
    - Car has OEM cruise control installed so that new cable will stay with cruise control package

2. Engine has had four oil changes with the last occurring at 263,913, currently has 265,035 on the odo - Royal Purple Synthetic 20/50 with Lucas Oil Synthetic Additive as recommended by the machinist

3. Has good G240 with refreshed seals and Redline fluid

4. Has good driveshaft with new CSB

5. Has 4.10 LSD with appropriate redline fluid

6. Currently mated with Stromung Exhaust
    Last edited by Gerta; 07-12-2016, 12:46 PM.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

I paid a few hundred for a drivetrain + some bonuses out of the Tacoma area a little over a year ago. Not refreshed like yours though (you aren't going to get nearly what you put into the refresh in addition, of course).

Is the engine still in verifiable running condition? (where is the damage at?)

If I can't get my m42 going in the next month or so I may be interested in buying just the engine (and maybe ecu?) off of you. I'm pretty local.

Edit: The engine I bought had about 150k less miles (obviously a lot of the work done on yours mitigates a lot of the mileage, but I thought I would add that data point)
    Last edited by pklym; 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Yes, engine runs. Damage was passenger front corner ... frame buckled so parting.

ECU has a MarkD 93 Octane chip. Chip was bought from GutenParts in Feb 2015.

Comment

I sold a stock used M42 Engine and trans for $500, but I think I was lucky. I know that diff alone is worth $300
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Post this on 2002faq.com. The m42 into a 2002 is a cool swap. I believe TobyB frequents both places and could offer reasonable value.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlem View Post
            Post this on 2002faq.com. The m42 into a 2002 is a cool swap. I believe TobyB frequents both places and could offer reasonable value.
            Thanks - Good advice. I thought about keeping it for one of my '02's.

Comment

Would be interested in the exhaust if you decide to part out.

Comment

I'm going to ask JakeB as well. I've had a couple of folks say to me that $1200-1500 for the whole drive train is fair. Any other feedback from more knowledgeable M42 folks?

Comment

I'd be interested in the 4.10 LSD...

Comment

Just want to bump this up and let folks know I am still dealing with the accident stuff.

Comment

Man if you were any closer I would be all over this.

Comment

It would be a great deal for a well sorted drive train.

Comment

Stock M42s/G240s still pop up near me for under $500, but they will all need a few hundred dollars before they can be reliable engines. On the other hand, yours (engine less mounts, with transmission) is clearly worth north of the $1,000 mark to me, an avid M42 enthusiast, considering the work that has been done.

Now all you have to do is get someone else to buy it for that price, or better yet, keep it for yourself as you won't recoup the investment in to an engine that's now good for 50k trouble-free miles.

Best of luck sorting out a sticky situation!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                            Stock M42s/G240s still pop up near me for under $500, but they will all need a few hundred dollars before they can be reliable engines. On the other hand, yours (engine less mounts, with transmission) is clearly worth north of the $1,000 mark to me, an avid M42 enthusiast, considering the work that has been done.

Now all you have to do is get someone else to buy it for that price, or better yet, keep it for yourself as you won't recoup the investment in to an engine that's now good for 50k trouble-free miles.

Best of luck sorting out a sticky situation!
                            I've actually had several offers, one of which I accepted depending on what the insurance decides to do. Even if I kept it, I have two 2002's which would make a great home for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X