M42 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 build

Hello, I have a 91 325i that has a 318i drivetrain. Weird but I actually like it. I have owned "fast" cars but with this I'd like to build a really well balanced light car instead of the normal route of m5x or s5x swap and make the nose 200lbs heavier. the car already has the suspension sorted, where do I start with a build? Should I source a spare m42 long block to start with? Does it matter if is the obdii e36 version? Anyone have a shopping list other than drop $9k on a metric mechanic motor? I would honestly consider that route if they weren't so damn far away. Pleas drop the m42 knowledge on me lol. I know it's not ideal my end goal is 180-200hp and light as possible.

Thanks

Head over to m42club.com
    There are a bunch of builds over there that fit your description and plenty of advice. Hope you start a thread here or there once you get going!
    diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

The first step in considering an M42 engine build should really be the crankshaft. If you can go M47/do the work/expense required there, great, if not consider a build based around a stock crank.

If you don't want to build an engine, but would rather have more power without a big weight penalty consider a mild turbo kit, a jakeb for example.

Comment

I do have an m42club forum account but they seem pretty dead over there. I don't really want to deal with turbo issues, I have had many Fi cars currently daily a 400whp 335i. So far I have done an intake , conforti chip, and long tubes. The rest is all suspension mods. Really I'd like to be able to keep up with the brz frs in autox without Fi or a heavy 24v swap. We also have a e36 m3 but before I start toying with that I want to start a light weight build path. Not sure where to pick up a m47 crank. Wasn't that a diesel we never got in the USA?

Comment

Cars..
          Attached Files

Comment

If I had mine to do over again, I'd do it all exactly how I did it, minus a bit lower compression. I should have listened to MM and milled the S50 pistons flat to the dish to end up around 10.7:1. Realistically its in the strong 160-170 hp range with a broad usable torque curve. Real cams would help. Anyway, its great for a daily commuter, not-so-much for winning races. There's a build thread here and on m42.com. HTH
            You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
            I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
            Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

A small turbo would be a lot lighter (for your wallet) than trying to get 180whp out of an NA M42. A turbo setup adds 30lbs+ though, even though you could do that with a 60 trim T3 and a small intercooler. From what I've seen you have to do pretty much everything it's possible to do to an NA engine to get 100hp/l out of the M42.
              Last edited by varg; 08-17-2016, 06:56 AM.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
              X