Clear All

Dropped her down a tad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 x 88 IXs, 91 318IS, 90, 97, 98, 01 M3s, 95 540I 6spd,

Current project 91 318is build thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=385094

sigpic

Comment

Looks soooooo much better! What setup is it?

89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
      I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

I know everyone knows what iX weaves look like, just figured I would show another good tire setup.

Stock ix weaves, tires: 195/60r15 conti trucontacts(all season) These tires are great in the summer and still shred in the winter, wear great as well. Perfect for daily IMO.
        1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
        1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
        E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
          Looks soooooo much better! What setup is it?

Bilstein HDs with stock springs. Cut two coils off the front. Will be installing Koni sport adjustable sand H&Rs once I get a moment to spare

sigpic

Comment

I know there is a lot of discussion around which size wheels fit the iX. I really want BBS RS3 or RS5 style wheels in 16in. Do you know if these wheels fit the iX? Talking about 1980s style BBS that are popular for the E30 not knockoffs, etc. Anyone have any or done this? Any insight is appreciated, thanks.
            '89 325ix
            '88 M6 Royal Blue
            '13 128i "M-Sport"
            '04 ZHP Mystic Blue-SOLD
            '02 E46 330xi-SOLD
            '89 325i Laachssilber metallic-SOLD
            '89 325i Bronzit-SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by ziazhp View Post
              I know there is a lot of discussion around which size wheels fit the iX. I really want BBS RS3 or RS5 style wheels in 16in. Do you know if these wheels fit the iX? Talking about 1980s style BBS that are popular for the E30 not knockoffs, etc. Anyone have any or done this? Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

You'll need the correct offset, but they'll work. Stock 15" wheels are at ET 41. So if you search for BBS RSs on a 4x100 Honda setup you'll be good to go.

sigpic

Comment

What's the wheel width and offset? Typically it's less than et30 they won't fit.

89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Basically, it depends on the barrels and lips, and what the actual offset of the wheels are. Super low offset wheels (typically fit to RWD E30s) are not going to work.

Generally, depending on tire size of course:
                  7" wheels - ET25-ET40 (ET25 is pushing it)
                  7.5" wheels - ET30-ET35
                  8" wheels - ET30 (+/-2mm or so - they are a tight fit).

9" wheels are never going to fit an ix properly (that is, not stick out 1" past the fenders), unless you do stupid things with "stance" and camber and undersized tires. Thankfully that seems to have finally died out a bit..

Originally posted by tmacbmw74 View Post
                  You'll need the correct offset, but they'll work. Stock 15" wheels are at ET 41. So if you search for BBS RSs on a 4x100 Honda setup you'll be good to go.
                  That's not how it works. the stock wheel offset is based on stock wheel width, stock tire size, stock suspension, and leaves a ton of room to go wider (I run a 15mm spacer on my stock wheels because otherwise it looks stupid when lowered). Also, if you were to stick with the stock ET41 offset for say, a 8" wide wheel, it wouldn't fit because it would rub the struts and probably rub on the inside in the back as well.

It also depends on the tires, as wider tires obviously have less clearance. FWIW, I've run super wide tires in the past, but I recommend either a 205 or a 225 if it's a street car (realistically, even a 225 is as far as I'd go for a "track" car, not that there are a lot of ix track cars).
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    9" wheels are never going to fit an ix properly (that is, not stick out 1" past the fenders), unless you do stupid things with "stance" and camber and undersized tires. Thankfully that seems to have finally died out a bit..
                    I need to do the diligence on my own car to check these out, and I will once I get back from the 'Stan...

What about using different offsets front and rear? Would that allow as wide as an 8.5"? (I might have asked you this once before as well)

My car's been hit lightly in the right rear, and the quarter has been repaired with bondo, but not well. If I replace the quarters with early quarters, that would allow me to punch the rears out a little wider. I could use glass repro M3 fenders in the front to match the width, although that still may work best with a different offset.

Comment

maybe, but probably not. The front wheels would have to stick way out, and they will still rub in a lot of places, especially if you're running wide, sticky tires. It would probably work though with M3 fenders.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        Basically, it depends on the barrels and lips, and what the actual offset of the wheels are. Super low offset wheels (typically fit to RWD E30s) are not going to work.

Generally, depending on tire size of course:
                        7" wheels - ET25-ET40 (ET25 is pushing it)
                        7.5" wheels - ET30-ET35
                        8" wheels - ET30 (+/-2mm or so - they are a tight fit).

That's not how it works. the stock wheel offset is based on stock wheel width, stock tire size, stock suspension, and leaves a ton of room to go wider (I run a 15mm spacer on my stock wheels because otherwise it looks stupid when lowered). Also, if you were to stick with the stock ET41 offset for say, a 8" wide wheel, it wouldn't fit because it would rub the struts and probably rub on the inside in the back as well.

It also depends on the tires, as wider tires obviously have less clearance. FWIW, I've run super wide tires in the past, but I recommend either a 205 or a 225 if it's a street car (realistically, even a 225 is as far as I'd go for a "track" car, not that there are a lot of ix track cars).

This captures everything well. Maybe this should be a sticky as to the best sizes for each diameter? Do we have a chart we can put at the beginning of the thread so everyone has a rough idea of what will fit?
                        '89 325ix
                        '88 M6 Royal Blue
                        '13 128i "M-Sport"
                        '04 ZHP Mystic Blue-SOLD
                        '02 E46 330xi-SOLD
                        '89 325i Bronzit-SOLD

Comment

Saw these BBS RS knockoffs on ECS, they say they will fit, but it sounds like from Nando's experience they won't?
                          16" F01 - Set Of Four
                          16"x8" ET25 4x100/4x114.3 - Silver/Polished Lip
                          '89 325ix
                          '88 M6 Royal Blue
                          '13 128i "M-Sport"
                          '04 ZHP Mystic Blue-SOLD
                          '02 E46 330xi-SOLD
                          '89 325i Bronzit-SOLD

Comment

Saw these BBS RS knockoffs on ECS, they say they will fit, but it sounds like from Nando's experience they won't?
                            16" F01 - Set Of Four
                            16"x8" ET25 4x100/4x114.3 - Silver/Polished Lip
                            https://www.ecstuning.com/b-f1r-whee...r/f01168s25kt/
                            Those will not fit at all. There will be too much poke and they will run unless you run a stretched tire.
                            Build Thread
                            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                            Parts Thread
                            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Those definitely will not fit. I mean, they will physically "fit" on the car but not in the way you are probably intending. ;)
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Think I finally found some...

16x7, ET 28. These should work, right?
                                '89 325ix
                                '88 M6 Royal Blue
                                '13 128i "M-Sport"
                                '04 ZHP Mystic Blue-SOLD
                                '02 E46 330xi-SOLD
                                '89 325i Bronzit-SOLD