Turbo Preparation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Preparation?

Currently have a 1989 325is M20. I'm reading through the Maximum boost book to brush up on my turbo knowledge. I'm planning on doing a turbo kit (most likely kamotors, aiming for 350-400 whp). As I get my funds together I'd like to know what can be done ahead of time in preparation. Solid motor mounts, 3in exhaust, etc?
    • I've already swapped out my 4.10 rear with a 2.93 LSD. DONE.
    • I'm going to make sure the motor itself is up to par. Going to do a compression test, etc.
    • Do a tune-up now or wait? Car probably won't run well with BR7ES plugs now....
    • I currently have a bad exhaust leak but I think it's far up, may even be a header. Going to take a close look at that. If that's the case doesn't make sense fixing it since a new manifold will replace it soon.
    • Going to do 3 inch straight exhaust all the way through, something I can get done now or wait until the turbo is installed?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Yay. Wait to have your downpipe fab'd and installed to figure out the 3" exhaust and where you want to place the v-bands if you use them.
    Until you do a compression test and/or leakdown to see if you have a good candidate, not sure what to tell you as far as motor related pre-turbo prep!

You can probably play with intercooler fitment, figure out your crank case vent setup (plug the hole in your intake for now), wire up your wideband, get it running on Megasquirt, install some vital gauges, maybe upgrade your radiator, tap your pan for an -AN return, install your oil feed line adapter/sandwich plate, collect some turbo related parts?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by OOMPH! View Post
      Currently have a 1989 325is M20. I'm reading through the Maximum boost book to brush up on my turbo knowledge. I'm planning on doing a turbo kit (most likely kamotors, aiming for 350-400 whp). As I get my funds together I'd like to know what can be done ahead of time in preparation. Solid motor mounts, 3in exhaust, etc?
      • I've already swapped out my 4.10 rear with a 2.93 LSD. DONE.
      • I'm going to make sure the motor itself is up to par. Going to do a compression test, etc.
      • Do a tune-up now or wait? Car probably won't run well with BR7ES plugs now....
      • I currently have a bad exhaust leak but I think it's far up, may even be a header. Going to take a close look at that. If that's the case doesn't make sense fixing it since a new manifold will replace it soon.
      • Going to do 3 inch straight exhaust all the way through, something I can get done now or wait until the turbo is installed?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
      Skip the KA motors kit and build your own. Get on the group buy for the good n tight manifold and get a 57trim garret or a BW RS256. Get some ARP head studs, Whodwho mega squirt, Wideband AFR, etc.

I am in the same process that you are about to go through. I have installed MS, installed an IAT sensor to run NA on speed density, installed an AEM UEGO wideband to monitor/tune, installed wasted spark for better spark come turbo time. I will be ordering my turbo shortly and an intercooler kit to start mocking up fitment. Then will have the BOV welded on and intercooler pipes welded to eliminate couplers. Then its just a matter of getting an exhaust welded up and tuning.

I would reccomend pulling the engine if you have the tools necessary, that way you can replace the head gasket and install the head studs and any other required maintenance the engine needs. You can also upgrade the clutch at this time too.

Probably forgetting some stuff but this should be a decent start.
      2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        Yay. Wait to have your downpipe fab'd and installed to figure out the 3" exhaust and where you want to place the v-bands if you use them.
        Until you do a compression test and/or leakdown to see if you have a good candidate, not sure what to tell you as far as motor related pre-turbo prep!

You can probably play with intercooler fitment, figure out your crank case vent setup (plug the hole in your intake for now), wire up your wideband, get it running on Megasquirt, install some vital gauges, maybe upgrade your radiator, tap your pan for an -AN return, install your oil feed line adapter/sandwich plate, collect some turbo related parts?
        Thanks for the feedback! Definitely wait to complete the exhaust last. You're right, I think I can start on those other items with the exception of fitting the intercooler.
        Originally posted by cleanasse30 View Post
        Skip the KA motors kit and build your own. Get on the group buy for the good n tight manifold and get a 57trim garret or a BW RS256. Get some ARP head studs, Whodwho mega squirt, Wideband AFR, etc.

I am in the same process that you are about to go through. I have installed MS, installed an IAT sensor to run NA on speed density, installed an AEM UEGO wideband to monitor/tune, installed wasted spark for better spark come turbo time. I will be ordering my turbo shortly and an intercooler kit to start mocking up fitment. Then will have the BOV welded on and intercooler pipes welded to eliminate couplers. Then its just a matter of getting an exhaust welded up and tuning.

I would reccomend pulling the engine if you have the tools necessary, that way you can replace the head gasket and install the head studs and any other required maintenance the engine needs. You can also upgrade the clutch at this time too.

Probably forgetting some stuff but this should be a decent start.
        I'm curious as why you say skip the KA kit? He seems to have put together a kit that is quick with a broad powerband and more importantly, reliable. I'll have to look more into whodwho's megasquirt. I heard a lot about it but don't know enough about it yet.

Comment

step one do: clutch, standalone ecu, wideband. the rest is easier and cheaper, you have some points of financial strain for the step two: like a good manifold, custom exhaust, well-made turbo oilin, studs. THen comes the turbo and the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by OOMPH! View Post
            I'm curious as why you say skip the KA kit? He seems to have put together a kit that is quick with a broad powerband and more importantly, reliable. I'll have to look more into whodwho's megasquirt. I heard a lot about it but don't know enough about it yet.
            I think the ebay manifold he uses is shit and the turbo is meh. Borg Warner journal bearing turbos are some of the best out there for the money from what I've read, hence why I'm going to get one. Any turbo kit you build can be reliable you just need to do research, use quality parts and have it tuned properly.

The reason you hear a lot about the whodwho megasquirt is because its pretty great for the price and whodwho is a really nice person to deal with and is very helpful if you have questions. Stock ECU box, stock location, can be configured for wasted spark and electronic boost control, tuner studio pro does live tuning if you want that, speed density eliminates the AFM, the list goes on.

If you want a quick and dirty turbo kit, im sure the KA kit will work well enough i just don't think its the best option out there.
            2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

I am going to try to have a complete kit soon as time allows... I should have the first mani done soon... I am not goin to knock anyone else's products but I've been in the performance automotive business awhile and usually when you try to take the cheap route it ends up costing more in the long run and time... And Borg earners are good tuff turbos ... I wouldn't waste money on off brand crap

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, I've been collecting parts hard for the last month or so. I've got Otis building me a manifold before his group buy, bought a Precision 6262 on here, ARP studs, trying to have George Graves make me a badass wideband, trying to get an econoboost gauge also. I'm going to be pulling motor, but prep stuff I'm planning is timing belt/waterpump/compression test/headgasket/oring block/studs/deciding on cam or not/valve springs I think/Spec stage 3 clutch or something streetable but tough. I'll be doing the exhaust last and also planning 3". I'll also be going wasted spark and a whodwho megasquirt set-up, and I also know very little about that aspect as of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by nightbear View Post
                  step one do: clutch, standalone ecu, wideband. the rest is easier and cheaper, you have some points of financial strain for the step two: like a good manifold, custom exhaust, well-made turbo oilin, studs. THen comes the turbo and the rest.
                  I had a UUC M5 clutch and flywheel on my S52 swap and that felt GREAT! I know UUC makes a conversion kit that's direct bolt on so I know I'll be going that route. Still in the early research stages for everything else.
                  Originally posted by cleanasse30 View Post
                  I think the ebay manifold he uses is shit and the turbo is meh. Borg Warner journal bearing turbos are some of the best out there for the money from what I've read, hence why I'm going to get one. Any turbo kit you build can be reliable you just need to do research, use quality parts and have it tuned properly.

The reason you hear a lot about the whodwho megasquirt is because its pretty great for the price and whodwho is a really nice person to deal with and is very helpful if you have questions. Stock ECU box, stock location, can be configured for wasted spark and electronic boost control, tuner studio pro does live tuning if you want that, speed density eliminates the AFM, the list goes on.

If you want a quick and dirty turbo kit, im sure the KA kit will work well enough i just don't think its the best option out there.
                  Thanks bro, the more I read about whodwho's set up the more appealing it becomes haha.
                  Originally posted by fastboy559 View Post
                  I am going to try to have a complete kit soon as time allows... I should have the first mani done soon... I am not goin to knock anyone else's products but I've been in the performance automotive business awhile and usually when you try to take the cheap route it ends up costing more in the long run and time... And Borg earners are good tuff turbos ... I wouldn't waste money on off brand crap
                  I hear you. Let me know when your kit is available! Your pictures are proof that you've been doing this awhile! Plus you're not to far from Philly haha.
                  Originally posted by stopsign01 View Post
                  I'm in the same boat as you, I've been collecting parts hard for the last month or so. I've got Otis building me a manifold before his group buy, bought a Precision 6262 on here, ARP studs, trying to have George Graves make me a badass wideband, trying to get an econoboost gauge also. I'm going to be pulling motor, but prep stuff I'm planning is timing belt/waterpump/compression test/headgasket/oring block/studs/deciding on cam or not/valve springs I think/Spec stage 3 clutch or something streetable but tough. I'll be doing the exhaust last and also planning 3". I'll also be going wasted spark and a whodwho megasquirt set-up, and I also know very little about that aspect as of right now.
                  Haha you're a LOT farther ahead then I am right now. You definitely need to do the timing belt/waterpump!

Comment

Yea not to far you could bring the car to me and I could hook it up

Comment

Originally posted by fastboy559 View Post
                      Yea not to far you could bring the car to me and I could hook it up
                      That would be great!

Comment

Working...
                      X