Low oil pressure light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low oil pressure light

My car was in a flood and got water over the floorboard. I drained the oil pulled spark plugs to remove water. I got it running and idling well, but when it starts to warm up the oil pressure light slowly starts to get brighter until its fully lit up. My question is where to start in figuring out what is causing it. Id rather not swap out for a junk yard engine or go to 24 valve swap.

Change the sending unit, or hook up a real guage. That light may not be correct, but a result of water getting into things it shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

First thing I would do is to redo the engine ground. Here's why....

The motor is sitting on rubber mounts, and attached to the trans, also sitting on rubber mounts. It's connected to the drive shaft, that that also has a rubber mount(the flex disk)

So that little strap that you have from the block/head to ground is kinda important.

The reason why is that a lot of sensors on an e30(and other cars) is only a one wire sensor, so they rely on the block/head being well grounded to give a solid path to ground.

Hope that helps.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Get a new sensor. If you ae getting oil up in the cylinder head you're probably fine. FWIW my oil light does the same thing and is always on, I have a VDO oil pressure gauge and my pressure is fine.
        -Dee
        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

I put a larger ground and changed the oil pressure switch/sending unit. The problem is resolved and I have my daily back! (even though I had to rip out all of the carpet)

Thanks for the help guys...it means a lot to have it back!

Comment

Working...
          X