Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M62B44,M60B40 heads & cams, Eaton M112 (now with NOS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    ... i assume that is from an engine in the ford era?
    You are correct. The intake manifolds/intercoolers are stamped FoMoCo. I personally am more of a GM guy myself :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Mykk540i/6 View Post

I found there to be roughly 4cc of volume in the piston tops.

The only MLS head gaskets I could find available for the M62B44 is 1.74mm thick. So now I have enough information to calculate compression ratio:

...not quite the 11:1 compression that most believe the M60 heads on M62 block to produce. But it's good news for me using the supercharger.
      I haven't run the numbers, but I @$$ume that lack of awareness of the 4cc dish is what led to the initial estimate of 11:1 compression.
      Have you run the numbers yourself to verify?

Comment

An engine of an unproven spec, thats out of the car and hasnt been run yet, booked into an event 5 weeks away....

I can't decide if youre brave or stupid, but I salute you!

Comment

Cool, sub'd!

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
            An engine of an unproven spec, thats out of the car and hasnt been run yet, booked into an event 5 weeks away....

I can't decide if youre brave or stupid, but I salute you!
            This may be sig worthy lol
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

I should have been clearer, the car will retain it's current N/A M60B40 for the race event in january. With just a few more new mods.

If I had more free time I'd attempt to get the new engine together, installed and running in time. But with my current work schedule there is just no way.

Comment

I was going to assume you were either retired or insane to try and get the engine together installed and tuned in 5 weeks.

Very stoked for this build
                Last edited by wworm; 12-23-2017, 03:20 PM. Reason: missed a letter
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I wanted to compare the piston tops of the M60B40:

They sit roughly. 035" out if the hole @ TDC and have no dish!

M60B40 compression ratio calcs:

I'd really like to see some M62 chambers to get an accurate M62B44 compression calc

This also means that the M60B40 has the more desirable quench/squish height compared to the M62.

If the M62 combustion chambers are indeed larger CC... this, combined with lower piston height and the piston dish means the compression is much lower then advertised.
                  Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 12-25-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Great info!

Comment

Here's what $600 of new timing chains, guides, gears, idler..etc looks like.

After fighting the M62 crank gear to come off and after seeing the condition of the M60 timing guides once I tore it apart I opt'd to order all new so I could sleep better at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykk540i/6 View Post
                        Here's what $600 of new timing chains, guides, gears, idler..etc looks like.

After fighting the M62 crank gear to come off and after seeing the condition of the M60 timing guides once I tore it apart I opt'd to order all new so I could sleep better at night.
                        I feel u brother, I ordered all the timing stuff as well when i had the motor torn down... pretty penny to make sure this motor lasts.
                        We're in deep now boys
                        1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                        1988 340iL - Track car
                        My M60 V8 swap thread here
                        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

sub'ed!
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Had a bit of a derailment, delayed the engine build just a bit. But really I wouldn't have been able to ontinue working on the engine until the end of January anyhow.

The clutch seized in my 540i/6. I had pedal pressure but the clutch wouldn't disengage. I could fire up the car in gear to move it around the yard but was undriveable on the road. I replaced the clutch slace blindly starting with the easy stuff first; That misleading worked for a day and then back to the original problem.

While the engine was out I dialed in a different cam timing, something I was going to do before the race event in January so I might as well do it now.

The Spec Kevlar disc welded itself to the pressure plate. Took a screw driver and hammer to separate them.

The replacement is an O.E style LuK brand clutch. It is sooo much easier to drive on the street. I'm going to do the easy break-in period, hopefully get more then a year out of this clutch unlike the previous.

In the same garage space where I changed my clutch there was an early 90's Supra the with the engine out. He also had a Spec brand Kevlar clutch disc and StageII pressureplate.... he managed to get 3 months out of his.

...pretty aggressive driving, but regardless I think I'll stay away from Spec from here on out.

Comment

Weird. I’ve been using a Spec stage 1 (organic) for years behind my m60b44, probably 30k miles. Feels the same as stock.

I had a Clutchmaters FX100 behind a stock m60, that lasted a few thousand miles before slipping, the disc had fully worn out.
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I got a Southbend S52 clutch for my M60b40/5sp.
                                ill see how it holds up.
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                My M60 V8 swap thread here
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X