R3V Students thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    No more school for me! Out in the adult world living it up. Feels good to be making some adult money as a structural/mechanical engineer.
    Same here. It's quite nice lol.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Two months into calculus after ~8 years of not giving a shit about math, and I'm getting raped.

Luckily the class doesn't have a final exam, just 5 tests and weekly assignments. Averaging in the 90's on the assignments, but I've bombed two tests now... The first one I don't want to take the blame for because I destroyed the sample test, but the real one was insane.

Second test was entirely my fault. I didn't do the sample test at all because I was scrambling to hand in things for every other class for the 3 days before the test.

I wasn't "lost" on differentiation rules/trig differentiation rules, but I can't seem to remember them for more than a day. Now we're doing implicit differentiation and I'm so lost.

Anyone have any recommendations for ways to understand this shit?
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Khan Academy helped me out so much

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Got absolutely wrecked by System control dynamics test on Friday. Studied over 40 hours for it...

Comment

I stayed up till 1am on Wednesday studying for my Japanese mid term and bombed it, 3 days of studying meh
            88 325is Five Speed
            Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
              No more school for me! Out in the adult world living it up. Feels good to be making some adult money as a structural/mechanical engineer.

Glad to see so many engineering majors being pursued in this thread. Good luck to you all. There were a ton of dropouts at my university, but then again a lot of people were able to make it through.
              yea, the failure rate is pretty high for ME. I remember my Freshman and Sophomore years noticing and asking about people who I didn't see any more. Junior and Senior year you kind of get used to not seeing people and it becomes the regular. Did you go to NAU?

I am doing a somewhat similar gig, I am ME but working as a Structural Engineer. Seems pretty popular placement other than becoming more of a Manufactoring Engineer. I am enjoying my first position even though it isn't what I see myself doing in 5 years. Such is life.
              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
              KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                Khan Academy helped me out so much
                Watched like 3 hours of that for implicit differentiation this weekend. Good enough to get most of this assignment done at least. Going to try to watch a few videos each night and do a few questions just to try to keep my brain with it. Seems to help a lot.

I did way better than expected on my chem midterm an hour ago, so that's a huge plus... I thought chem was going to be one of my worst marks because I remember nothing from last time. Design midterm tomorrow, which should be a goddamn joke because it's all hand sketching, and a good chunk of the AME program was the exact same stuff, then programming(C) on friday which has been a joke so far, and calculus again on monday.

Anyone else get a fall "reading week" or "fall break"? This never used to be a thing...
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Pretty sure im bombing this CS144 class, prof uses this tool to auto correct code and its aids.
                  1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                  willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    Two months into calculus after ~8 years of not giving a shit about math, and I'm getting raped.

Luckily the class doesn't have a final exam, just 5 tests and weekly assignments. Averaging in the 90's on the assignments, but I've bombed two tests now... The first one I don't want to take the blame for because I destroyed the sample test, but the real one was insane.

Second test was entirely my fault. I didn't do the sample test at all because I was scrambling to hand in things for every other class for the 3 days before the test.

I wasn't "lost" on differentiation rules/trig differentiation rules, but I can't seem to remember them for more than a day. Now we're doing implicit differentiation and I'm so lost.

Khan A. and ProfRobBob on YouTube got me through most of that. I like ProfRobBob better for some topics.

My 6 unit Chem for Engineers class is a joke.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tasty View Post
                      yea, the failure rate is pretty high for ME. I remember my Freshman and Sophomore years noticing and asking about people who I didn't see any more. Junior and Senior year you kind of get used to not seeing people and it becomes the regular. Did you go to NAU?

I am doing a somewhat similar gig, I am ME but working as a Structural Engineer. Seems pretty popular placement other than becoming more of a Manufactoring Engineer. I am enjoying my first position even though it isn't what I see myself doing in 5 years. Such is life.
                      Yep, Kids would disappear. But it was really cool to get into my junior and senior years and see people in almost every class. Made lots of friends those last two years.

I did go to NAU.

I didn't realize this ME and then structural engineer path was that popular. All the individuals I work with are going or went to school for CE. I am 1 of 2 ME's here. And the second ME is more of a consultant who has another job.

I am not with you on this last point I must admit. I was a little upset about not getting a hardcore ME job at the beginning. I took this opportunity with my current company as a 'structural designer' (I'll be testing for my PE as soon as I can, for both Mechanical and Structural, company is huge on its EIT's getting their PE's) because it was in the small town I lived in, my fiance owns a local business here in town, and I didn't really want to move away as we already have a home here, etc.

But I got into an industry that is booming, mostly because of recent federal and state regulations concerning safety and the importance of an engineered product. I am working with the leading company in the world, and I am literally the tip of the spear. Apart from the PE who stamps my work, I am at the forefront of this industry. It feels awesome. My mechanical background/education filled in a lot of the gaps here that used to exist as well. It's a great experience.
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Im burnt.. School can die.. The EE department head is fucking a good number of us. Theyre switching a lot of classes to being held only once a year. So Im taking electronics 1 this spring semester but they arent holding electronics 2 in the fall. Electronics 2 is a co-req for senior design one..... Which pushes my graduation date back at least one semester. And on top of that the Engineering college is considering an additional fee of $69 per credit hour...

The once a year thing also means that I have to take Microprocessors and C++ next semester and I fucking hate coding..

There is so much hate inside me rn :hitler:

Comment

大学は大変です。:-/
                          88 325is Five Speed
                          Lachssilber

Comment

This week is calc week for me. I'm going to be studying my ass off trying to get substitution integrals and optimization down pat. After getting solid As on the first two tests I bombed the third one which was integrals, l'hopital's rule and optimization. Redoing 3 weeks worth of homework in the next few days to prep for my Sunday afternoon final. I have no idea how I'm going to remember all of the trig integrals.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            calculus after ~8 years of not giving a shit about math, and I'm getting raped.

I'm in a similar position, didn't give a shit about math from high school through 2 years ago because I "knew" I wasn't going anywhere I'd need it. Life changed. I can't recommend any way to understand it unfortunately, I've just learned it through hours of practice.
                            Last edited by varg; 12-06-2016, 06:57 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                              . Theyre switching a lot of classes to being held only once a year
                              My university did this, even though there was an abundance of people wanting to take a certain course. It seems like they did it intentionally to fuck over students. It's really odd.
                              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                              (Daily Driver)
                              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                              KW V2 Coilovers
                              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Who else has finals this week?
                                1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
                                2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
                                "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Working...
                                X