e30 rear wheel arch body work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 rear wheel arch body work

Looking for the experienced advice on this one.
    My e30 has a small dent on the rear quarter panel, right on the edge of the wheel arch. Unlike front fenders, rear fenders have inner wheel well piece so one can't access the dent from behind to straighten it. I would like to know what is a proper repair for the rear quarter panel is. I saw some vids where people weld studs/hooks and pull the dent. welding.... isn't it damaging the primer on the inside of the quarter panel? There is no way to repaint that area from behind afterwards. Slapping bondo is the only good option here?

What do you guys think? Rust is just surface rust, not all the way thru. Inner arch piece is not damaged or dented, the dent is pretty shallow.
    Last edited by zaq123; 03-27-2018, 02:59 PM.

I am no bodywork expert so I really can't help you there. I think it might help if you can take some more pictures of the damage, kind of hard to tell the extent from that picture.

I have heard of people drilling a hole or two and then using special body tool to pull dents.

In the end your going to need some bondo on that to blend before paint.

Good luck
    1989 325ix
    1992 325ic 770A
    2002 M3

Comment

Pretty standard method of repair would be to use a stud welder and a slide hammer to pull it back into plane and then finish the repair with minimal filler to set the surface profile.

Prime, block, and refinish.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Yup, spritzenagel. Then pull. Then pound,
        then pull, then tap, then grind, then fill and squirt.

Then take the inner panel off, and spray
        something like Wurth waxoyl or 3m RustFighter
        into that seam- it'll seal up all the heat related damage,
        and you'll be good to go.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
          X