Thinking of getting a rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    I guess thats fine if your pockets are deep.
    Not my pockets, not my problem :D

Comment

An old British car? Hahaha hellllll no. I wouldn't even buy a new one.

Well I guess you could drop an ls in it and rewire the whole car.

They are cool, just huge money pits

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        even still, a model from the 40's to the 60's would be so much better.

I think its just better to hit yourself in the balls really hard with a baseball bat and get the pain and suffering out of the way without spending thousands of dollars on this heap.
        x1000

This is not a smart decision.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Imo any 1970's-90's rolls would only be worth it if the body/interior were 110% mint and you had another 50K to spend re engineering all the proprietary bs out of the suspension, drive train and brakes. the engine bays of these things look like scary rube goldberg rats nests.

Comment

How about no?

How to test and inspect the brake and hydraulic systems in Shadow and Spirit/Spur era Rolls-Royce and Bentley motorcars. Disclaimer: T...

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Bag it and find brakes from a different car, run new lines and a new master cylinder

Comment

Very interesting. Such high tech for such old cars.

The brake pump system appears to operate on a similar principle to hydraulic steering. high pressure there all of the time and your brake pedal "lets some pressure through" to the calipers when asked. I wonder if there is any kind of pedal feel at all or if its like driving around on a cloud.

Comment

well, I think I will go look at it on Saturday or sunday. I will snap some pics for you guys

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                    Very interesting. Such high tech for such old cars.
                    High tech? Hydraulics like that were high tech in WW2 but not in the '80s. A more appropriate description is "complex" for an old car.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Well yeah...

In my defense that website suggests the hydraulic thing started in 1965 on the rolls, which is complex for their time.

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
                        well, I think I will go look at it on Saturday or sunday. I will snap some pics for you guys
                        :firehop:
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yesterday's weather was horrible. Today, its 44 right now. I don't know if i am going to make it this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
                            Yesterday's weather was horrible. Today, its 44 right now. I don't know if i am going to make it this weekend
                            Silly Texans. Ahumgd its 44 degrees out!!! I can't go anywhere because my oil is damn near solid and my vagina will freeze shut l!!!!

It's probably 45 out right now and has been raining heavy for the most part of 18 hours. Oh well

Comment

It's worse in Phoenix. They wear parkas when it gets under 60.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

About 16 years ago I crashed my 90 Protégé and was looking to get back into something European. On a whim, I was browsing the classifieds and came across a shop selling a customers' 82 320i coupe. Since I needed a car and wasn't too serious, I thought "what the heck" and drove to the shop to check it out. Once I got there, the owner told me not to bother with that car and instead check out the 86 325es another customer was selling. I looked at the odometer and it had a 250kms (about 150k miles). Usually that would be enough to have me sayin' "no thank you!" but when I sat in the drivers seat, everything felt so TIGHT and well put together. After this short viewing (I couldn't test drive it as the car wasn't insured) I decided to get it inspected at another shop.

Considering the province I live in consisted mostly of trucks and American made vehicles, everyone told me not to bother, that it would be a HUGE money pit since it was German and a BMW.

Instead I took a chance and I can honestly say it was the best decision I made in life. From being affiliated with various BMW groups it's gotten me jobs (not automotive related), met interesting people and learnt a lot about different manufacturing methods and autos in general.

If I were you OP, I'd take the plunge. Nowhere here in Canada could you purchase such a vehicle at that price, in that condition.

Worse case scenario you can part it out and make a killing (considering RR parts arent' common).
                                Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 04-08-2018, 05:28 PM.
                                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X