Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tedcorp View Post
    It was almost a year ago that I watched that video and decided that's what I wanted to do with my life! About two months later I opened Sublime Surfacing and absolutely love what I do.

The results are amazing and never cease to impress.

This is a fantastic build thread and will have me returning to it as often as I watch the G500 rebuild in Seattle.
    That's pretty cool story. Checked your website too. What kind of machine do you use? Reminds me a story on one of my other forums where guy from New Zealand decideded to keep bees and make a honey for a leaving. He is doing great and after he posted his story, bunch of folk from the forum begging him to ship honey across the world.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
      That's pretty cool story. Checked your website too. What kind of machine do you use? Reminds me a story on one of my other forums where guy from New Zealand decideded to keep bees and make a honey for a leaving. He is doing great and after he posted his story, bunch of folk from the forum begging him to ship honey across the world.
      Thanks! I simply love telling it...passion is what fuels projects and ideas like the resto-build we're witnessing right here. Thank you for sharing the bee story as well. I've been interested in beekeeping for a couple of years too.

I bought a Vixen Aquablast 1215 from the UK. They have some of the best cabinets on the market. If you look up my Instagram, you can see a picture of two office chairs inside to demonstrate the size of the interior. It's the largest one in the country, as far as I'm aware.

Comment

I thought I'd pop in with some updates. As usual the work that falls out of my hands is moving along slow as hell. The bodyshop seems to do 2-3 hours of work at most as day on the car but it is coming along. I'm getting ready to pull it out and take it elsewhere.

I picked the cylinder head up from the machine shop. New guides, 2 new valves, multi angle seat grind and a intake/exhaust port job. Should help the engine breathe and make a bit more power.

Unfortunately the job they did cleaning the cylinder head isn't up to my standards so I need to remove the valve train and clean it properly myself. May as well get it vapor blasted while its apart again. Just means a bunch of rework, wasted time, and new valve stem seals. The more I stare at the fucking thing the more irritated I become.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Hey, I'm going to read through the build.
          But, I lost my house in the flooding here in 2016. Sucks balls man. Floods are crap. Glad you're able to save this one.
          Last edited by Melon; 04-09-2018, 05:53 AM.
          I do things.

Comment

I have a spring compressor or 2 if you need to borrow one Jordan.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Ah

A ROTISSERIE

DID YOU MAKE IT OR DID YOU BUY IT

I need one for mine soon, can't find any that look like they will work off the shelf so am resigned to building one
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                That would be rad, I have one that is old, kinda beat and doesn't work well.

Originally posted by econti View Post
                Ah

A ROTISSERIE

DID YOU MAKE IT OR DID YOU BUY IT

I need one for mine soon, can't find any that look like they will work off the shelf so am resigned to building one
                Bolted straight to factory bumper shocks. No mods.
                Being in the automotive industry, we understand the importance of our tools and equipment, especially when it comes to automotive refinishing. With it’s robust 4500lb capacity, our ROT-4500 is the standard by which all other vehicle rotisseries should be judged. The dual hydraulic cylinders effortlessly raise the lifting cradles to the desired working height which makes getting to those hard to reach places a breeze. The ROT-4500 can handle just about any chassis configuration you throw at it when utilizing our optional mounting adapters. For safety, we have included (4) 8" locking casters that are designed to roll effortlessly without marring your shop floor. Another accessory item that we offer for the ROT-4500 is the Rotisserie Leg kit which is used to help stabilize the load when rotating the chassis or body 360 degrees. The durable powder coated finish will withstand the toughest abuse. If you are looking to start a restoration project or already run a full-time body shop, ROT-4500 is an economical solution that will keep you working smarter, not harder. SPECIFICATIONS Weight Capacity 4,500 lb Max Height 49" Min Height 21" Max Length 260" Min Length 121" Width 58.5" Width (with leg kit attached) 81" Max Length Between Support Arms 238" Min Length Between Support Arms 99" Max Project Width (dependent on balance point) 80" - 88" Hydraulic Cylinder Travel 17" Acme Screw Travel 8.5" Height from ground to center of rotating axis 37" - 54" SHIPPING Shipping Length 64" Shipping Width 41" Shipping Height 20" Shipping Weight 560 lb

Comment

I blew apart the cylinder head this morning and dropped it off at the vapor blaster so they can get it proper clean. When it gets back from them I will finish the porting work myself. (not happy with that either)

I don't pay other people to do things for me often but when I do I'm just about always disappointed....

Back at the house I tackled an assembly project I've been wanting to knock out for awhile. Completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembly of the throttle body.

and... both of these are the same age.

Comment

Man just went through this entire thread, and you make me want to rebuild my entire car from the ground up lol. As always immaculate work Jordan, can't wait to see the finished product!!
                    TJ - Alpine 88' 325IC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

Originally Posted by flyboyx

Originally Posted by Jordan
                      That would be rad, I have one that is old, kinda beat and doesn't work well.

Get the spring compressor plate from Metric Mechanic. Does 4 valves at once. There is a video of it on Youtube. Well worth the $50. Works on M42 / M50 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
                        Get the spring compressor plate from Metric Mechanic. Does 4 valves at once. There is a video of it on Youtube. Well worth the $50. Works on M42 / M50 etc.
                        I found that last week, and its already on its way. Easy to remove with a socket and hammer, but that trick doesn't work to put it together lol.

Comment

I found that last week, and its already on its way. Easy to remove with a socket and hammer, but that trick doesn't work to put it together lol.
                          Mine came with no instructions. It had 4 tubes, 2 slightly shorter than the others which I thought was a screw up initially. Turns out the short ones are for removal...lessens the spring tension / projectile possibility.

Comment

I would buy a flood car from you anytime, Jordan. Fantastic. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
                            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                            1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                            Palm Beach County

Comment

I blew apart the cylinder head this morning and dropped it off at the vapor blaster so they can get it proper clean. When it gets back from them I will finish the porting work myself. (not happy with that either)

I don't pay other people to do things for me often but when I do I'm just about always disappointed....

Back at the house I tackled an assembly project I've been wanting to knock out for awhile. Completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembly of the throttle body.

and... both of these are the same age.

Proper clean is right! Your combination of vapour honing and zinc chromate plating everything is awesome.

This truly will end up as good or netter than new.

Comment

Everyone likes some good head right?

Picked up the M42 head from the vapor blaster this morning and then spent the rest of the day finishing up the port work I started last weekend. Still waiting on my 180, 320 grit cross buffs to show up so I can finish polish the exhaust ports, and the Metric Mechanic valve spring tool so I can assemble.

Intake port got lots of work. Smoothed the casting, raised the roof just a little, cut the guide back flush with the roof, and knife edged the port separator. Left the lead in bumps intact to help steer air around the valve stem. Smoothing only on the short side radius. Port gasket matched and blended into the throat.

Exhaust port again got smoothing to the casting, roof smoothed into bowls and considerable blending work from the valve seat to through the bowls. Again guide flushed with the roof to give a cleaner transition. Some recontouring of the short side radius cleaning up the factory machining and blending into the main port. Port gasket matched and blended into the throat.

Valves cleaned and polished, lapped in to seats. Intakes back cut for increased flow.

and lastly the vapor blasted cam trays, immaculate in every way.

Comment

Working...
                                X