Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Clean Your ICV-(Air Stabilizer Valve)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M3 Ryan View Post
    just make sure NOT to lube it when you are done (no spraying WD-40 or anything in there...) as it needs some resistance in the flapper.
    A drop of oil ok? or just let it lub it's self?
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
      Thanks for the DIY, I say it should be a sticky ;)
      well you're welcome! haha

Process is for an 89 325i... adjust accordingly...

-Loosen the clamps on the air boot at the AFM and the TB (prob. be a clamp for the ICV too). Wiggle it a bit to remove the boot. Wedge a rag under the TB assembly to catch run-off.
      -Use a commonly available TB cleaner (I like Seafoam's "Deep Creep", kinda pricey tho) and spray the front side of the throttle plate. Use the throttle linkage above the TB to open the plate, exposing the backside and bore. Spray them down real good too.
      -With one hand (or a helper's hand haha) holding the throttle open, use an old soft toothbrush (that you don't want to re-use btw!) and scrub the bore and plate surfaces, getting out all the "gunk" and carbony build-up. Re-spray with cleaner as needed.
      -Hose it down one last time (be generous with it!) with the TB cleaner to get it nice and shiney. Wiggle the boot back in, clamp her down, and floor the thottle a few times in the car to make sure it doesn't feel like the shaft is binding (this is why I like Deep Creep btw, it has lubricating additives to ensure long shaft/bushing/bearing life. Also, its the same stuff as Seafoam in aerosol form ;-)). Start her up, let it idle for 5-10 sec, rev it up and down from idle to 3k a few times to clear it out. Expect fumes :D
      -Drive and enjoy!
      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

quickity quick quick

quick question. I was cleaning my ICV (air stablizer). while at it i though of painting the metal mount to it red. the paint's is meant for 80F out low humidity use. is that ok? How hot is the temp of the valve cover at idle?
        1989 325I(M20B25US)|KAMotors CAI|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|ST Sways|SSSquid Tune|Red46 Sump Armor|

Comment

if it is not a high temp paint, i wouldn't use it on engine parts.
          Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by indecline View Post
            quick question. I was cleaning my ICV (air stablizer). while at it i though of painting the metal mount to it red. the paint's is meant for 80F out low humidity use. is that ok? How hot is the temp of the valve cover at idle?

hot enough to burn your hand if you touch it. I wouldn't use 80f paint on that.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

carb cleaner okay to run through this thing (TB) or do i absolutely NEED TB cleaner. car is down because my icv/afm is drying. knock em all out now? or will the carb stuff damage it.
              1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
              1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
              1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
              1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
              1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
              I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

most carb cleaners are throttle body cleaners too

Comment

cool. i used it on the tb, amazed at the gunk in there. nice name btw.
                  1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                  1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                  1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                  1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                  1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                  I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
                    I like the size of the hose clamp wrote on your hand.

Made me lol

Andy
                    yeah i know. my hand is covered in sharpie more often than not.

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
                    Thanks for making this DIY. Really useful. How did it work out for you? Make things better? Your ICV looked pretty grimy inside.
                    it worked perfectly, cleaned out the idle for a while, then replacing the o2 does a bit of good too.

Comment

Originally posted by e30pwr View Post
                      yeah i know. my hand is covered in sharpie more often than not.

it worked perfectly, cleaned out the idle for a while, then replacing the o2 does a bit of good too.
                      ok after u take the ICV out . what you do lol?:giggle: i am lost
                      Originally posted by e30e
                      lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Thanks for the writeup, it cured my idle woes.
                        Instagram
                        sigpic
                        Current: 99 M3
                        Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

cleand mine today now i idle at 850 :D b4 was 1200, i just used some intake cleaner not BPC thats alil to hardcore for a part and i didnt want to buy a new one, allso found a huge crack under teh icv so i replaced that tube, now runs great next is timing!

Comment

i took mine out this afternoon, ran some carb cleaner / throttle body cleaner through it, didn't notice gunk coming out.. let it dry put it back in, drove around the block and it started revving high then low again.
                            :/
                            i was mad, so then i played with that nut on top of the ICV, put it further in a little bit and the rpms settled, took it out again and it was revving erratically again, so i put it back in more again, i guess that's what my issue was :roll:
                            at least i cleaned it out to prevent future issues :)

Comment

those factory clamps are actually a standard for use in irrigation work and can be used any funny pipe/rubber hose.

when I do repair work on any hoses or pipes when working irrigation, the EASIEST way to get those clamps off is to grab where you can see where it was crimped inwards and twist. It should snap easily, and if it doesn't give it one or two more twists....Cutting them is actually harder.

Depending on the icv, if it has a metal shroud/inlet then your safe in doing this. If its plastic, I am unsure, I would recommend cutting and not possibly over tightening the clamp to the point you crack or break the icv

using them when twisting off makes it super easy

Comment

Working...
                              X