Thinking of getting a rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of getting a rolls

What do you guys think? I am considering an 84 rolls silver spur. Second owner is selling because he is unable to work on it himself anymore.

He says it needs brake pumps (1900 each, needs 2) but talking to the closest rolls royce shop, they normally don't go out and are just naturally noisy parts. They say if the pumps make noise, they are working, if they not making noise, they are probably broke.

I haven't seen it in person, i am just going off photos sent to me and a few phone calls with the owner and the shops to get a feel for the car and repairs.

The owner started pulling the pumps but he is 83 and cannot finish so it has sat for about 2 years while he was hoping to get back on it, so i cannot start the car as the pumps are under the valve covers, which are no longer on. So, possibly the pumps are bad and possibly there are now other issues since the valve covers are off.

Its the long wheel base so its more of a small limosine and has the trays to eat at whilw driving and all the normal stuff one thinks of when picturing a rolls royce limo.

Its a 6.7 litre v8 that makes 300hp and who knows how much torque, its hard to find numbers about this engine online but reading stuff from other owners, and speaking to the repair shop mechanic, the car should be fun to drive and solid feeling. It should stop on a dime and shift smoothly but do expect noise since its an older rolls. Older rolls make noise to let you know they running properly, according to rhe shop.

The owner said to come check it out and we can start at 3k if i just dont want to haggle or work our way to a price we both think is good if i do.

The only issue, to me, is the drive is over an hour and the wife is not happy and wants nothing to do with it.

The owner says a few people have called but only one has actually come to see it and he drove from austin to see it and thought he was going to drive it home, even though the owner told him its not able to be driven since the valve covers are off.

I think it would be fun to drive around and go to bike rides and races in (i cycle, not motor) but i know i would get bothered by the gas mileage and end up selling it because 11-16mpg would drive me crazy.

Anyways, whats you guys thoughts? Visually, the car is exactly what i picture a rolls to be. No dents, no rust, immaculate leather interior and just a clean car. I have looked and asked for many pics.

hmmm $3000 car with $3800 problem makes it sound like your average e36 these days, a car with a defeated and unimpressed owner looking to cut his losses. I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot poll but I sure as heck aint you, and we all have different tastes. If you think the mpg would urk you it'll probably be much worse than you imagined for the smol but reasonable assumption you'll be seen as more eccentric.
    Originally posted by Vokuhila
    I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

Out of curiosity whats a brake pump? Like a vacuum pump?

Sounds like a money pit. But I reckon would be a super nice car to drive once its sorted.

If driving an hour to pick up a 34yr old car bothers you....maybe its not for you. I drive 45mins to work each day....and then 45mins home...

Comment

I am the king of bad decisions. (See sig)

I think this is a BAD decision.

Like....really bad. I wouldn't even touch that.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Dang, you guys are backing up my feelings that its not a good idea. My wife will be right, also. I just won't tell her amd not bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            I am the king of bad decisions. (See sig)

I think this is a BAD decision.

Like....really bad. I wouldn't even touch that.
            loled
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Sounds like it doesn't actually need brake pumps, and just needs to be put back together, if what the shops are telling you is correct. Mind you, I'm assuming this thing is sitting in a nice clean garage, and that everything was covered up while apart - right?!

So, the important factor here, how deep is your wallet? If things go sideways, are you able to sell it at a loss, and/or spend the money to fix it?

If you can afford this thing pretty easily, I think I'd actually pick it up, put it back together, and roll around in it until you get sick of it, and then sell. Nice car to own, if only for a little while. If you're lucky, maybe you can even make a little profit.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                Sounds like it doesn't actually need brake pumps, and just needs to be put back together, if what the shops are telling you is correct. Mind you, I'm assuming this thing is sitting in a nice clean garage, and that everything was covered up while apart - right?!

So, the important factor here, how deep is your wallet? If things go sideways, are you able to sell it at a loss, and/or spend the money to fix it?

If you can afford this thing pretty easily, I think I'd actually pick it up, put it back together, and roll around in it until you get sick of it, and then sell. Nice car to own, if only for a little while. If you're lucky, maybe you can even make a little profit.
                I'm with rturbo on this one. It could be loads of fun.

Although, it sounds like the wife isn't a supporter. From my own experience, that's usually not a good thing, if you value your relationship.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

See, i look at it as an optimist and that sometimes gets me in trouble because of hidden things.

I am not 100 percent sure what the brake pump does since its in the valve covers and the car has a mastercylinder, booster, and the other normal parts. The shoo didn't go into depth on what it does, just where it is and what to look for.

And as far as the car storage, the removed parts are in the trunk and hood was closed over the open engine, that is what bother me. It could be all full of dust or what ever making the costs go outrageous.

I have a bunch of spare money saved up for a trip we were going to take in june to six flags atlanta and then on to south carolina and north carolina to see family. Turns out the wife doesn't want to go though, and the kids are both complaining about it too, so its just me that wanted to go. I was going to pick up that e30 diesel that has been on craigslist for a while, well we were in atlanta.

And the wife hates it because it looks like a grandma car. I told her ignore how long it is and just think how craxy it will be to have a little tilt down tray to eat on instead of just holding your stuff when we go on trips but its not swaying her from "grandma car", unfortunately. Even telling her that her sisters will never ever have a rolls doesn't change her mind. (Everything has to be better than her 3 sisters)

I will go see it, for sure. There is a lady said who she is always home and can show it to me anytime the owner is not there.

Maybe i will ride my bike over saturday, its only 30ish miles.

Comment

this thread confuses me a good bit. I saw a 4k silver cloud on corpus craigslist, but nothing in Austin. I had no idea what a brake pump was, but since I read the actual Craigs ad, I guess I kind of have a mental picture now. why the hell are the valve covers off if there is a brake problem?

I just don't see how this car makes sense on any level. yes, it cost a lot of money when it was new. the resale value now is kind of like a 7 series bmw but worse.

the ONLY use I could see for this car would be if you happened to own a wedding venue. you could charge to take the wedding party from the church to the reception. even still, a model from the 40's to the 60's would be so much better.

I think its just better to hit yourself in the balls really hard with a baseball bat and get the pain and suffering out of the way without spending thousands of dollars on this heap.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      I just don't see how this car makes sense on any level.
                      It's a Rolls Royce. That's all the justification you need.

Comment

"you're much much cooler in an e30...
                        come for a ride darling. ditch that rolls...and pass the grey poupon please"
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        '90 325i sedan daily driven
                        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Ha ha ha, thats our joke at work about it, do you have some grey poupon

Comment

Just say no.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I guess thats fine if your pockets are deep.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                              X