Steering vibration during turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering vibration during turns

Hi guys. Need some suggestions that I can tackle one by one on why my car has some vibration in the steering wheel as i make a turn at low speeds. This occurs during both left and right turns.

I doubt it is the wheel bearing since it doesnt make any sort of grinding or humming noises that I heard when my wheel bearing did go out a few years ago.

I did run over a pothole a few weeks ago with my front passenger wheel so that may have caused some wheel balance weights to fall off but that doesnt explain why i get the same vibration when i turn the other direction.

My power steering was low a few days ago to the point where there was whining noise so i filled it up yesterday and that didnt fix the vibration issues.

I'll double check to make sure my wheels are on tight. Any other things I could check for that I may have missed? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Originally posted by joonsup View Post
    I did run over a pothole a few weeks ago
    Jack up each side one at a time. Grab the tire at 12 and 6, give it a shake. Then 9 and 3, shake some more. Any play? Either side?

You are looking for any loose components. After that, get a wheel alignment, toe changing as a result of the pothole may cause vibration on turns as the wheels are fighting each other. May not show up going straight.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

While it's jacked up, spin it and watch the surface of the tire for irregularity- you might have broken a
      belt in one.
      And watch the lip of the rim, both on the inside and outside, to make sure it's not bent.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
      X