E30 electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 electrical

Hey guys, I'm a new e30 owner. Let me preface by saying that my last two(only two) cars were brand new! I have no experience with repairing cars. Some may ask then why buy an almost 30 year old car? The simple answer; my friend owned one when I was younger and back then it was the fastest thing I've been in and he had so much fun driving it. Flash forward to today I was able to purchase one that runs but needs some loving to get her up to my standards. First off, nothing electric works! No blinkers, it doesn't have a radio and power windows dont work( neither does the a/c or heat). I have a friend that's pretty good with electrical stuff that's willing to help me. Where would be a good place to start? My priority would be windows then blinkers then the other stuff will follow. From doing my research I figured this is a great place for info so thanks in advance guys.
    P.s looking forward to this build!:)

Yikes, best of luck. Electrical stuff is the worst, but if you're methodical it can work out fine. I'd start easy by putting all new fuses in, testing all of them, and making sure the relays are working. Then make sure the window switch circuit breaker isn't popped up (rectangular button made of different plastic than the rest), then start digging in a little more and tracing power to everything that isn't working.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Dense at first. But indispensible.

The newest car I ever bought was 10 years old at the time...

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Get a Bentley.

Electric problems are the hardest to help with. Learn ohms law and the basics like reading a wiring diagram. And if that doesn't click then find someone or a shop that knows what they are doing. If you start messing around with something you don't know, you could burn your car up.
        Last edited by rzerob; 04-15-2018, 11:49 PM.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Hi
          Go here and print out the electrical manual wiring diagram for your car.

Start with the indicators, turn on the hazard lights to see if they work and that will check the lights at the 4 corners if they work etc.

Leave the heater and radio until last, should be a walk in the park with the wiring diagram.

Comment

Working...
          X