X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
    In an amazing way.

I'm autox'ing her tomorrow.

M20b30. 272 cam. 10:1 cr pistons. 19lb injectors. markd chip. over sized valves +1mm. ported head. s50 crank(donated by Kronus) and s52 rods. rebuilt transmission.
    How big are the pistons? and more importantly, when are you going to dyno it. I am really excited to see M20 builds coming back
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

What's r3v's opinion on fun hatchbacks? R53 Mini, MazdaSpeed 3, other suggestions? Maybe a mini trunk instead, ie. Colorado, Canyon, Dakota, SR5? I just can't do track days in a truck which is probably a good thing lol
      Last edited by CarsonE30; 03-11-2018, 05:31 PM.
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

The golf GTI is always a good choice for a hot hatchback. I like the R53 mini coopers, I've seen a few with failed superchargers and waterpumps are kind of a pain in the ass on them but they are fun cars and are basically tiny E46's. There's also the Ford SVT Focus, pretty good little car and you can get them cheap. The interiors are shit though. Don't forget about the 318ti, they get a bad rap but I personally like them. The ep3 Civic SI too, kinda funky but reliable and fun, would probably make a good track day car too.

Comment

The current Beetle Turbo is a really fun car. It’s a GTI with a better looking body on it. Can be had with the dual clutch automated manual too...since we all know you prefer autos.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

The R53 Mini is certainly fun, but it's cramped in the engine compartment and you'll be back to buying BMW parts. For a low buck hot hatch, Japanese may very well be the way to go, as they're pretty bulletproof.

Normally I'm not a proponent that the latest is the greatest, but some of the newer cars a pretty potent. The Fiesta ST is a blast to drive and can be had used in the low to mid teens. The interior isn't anything special, but it's also ~2700 lbs. and is fun right out of the box. For a little more money, the Focus ST offers a more practical back seat and a bit more power, but does weigh more.

A newer GTi is another option (MK7). Not as raw as the Ford ST cars, but you do get a nicer interior and less boy-racer styling if that matters.

Probably the most reliable of the hatchbacks is the one made by Chevrolet with the pushrods and fiberglass body. Comes with a complementary Hawaiian shirt too ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
              Can be had with the dual clutch automated manual too...since we all know you prefer autos.
              shots fired
              :rofl:
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                How big are the pistons? and more importantly, when are you going to dyno it. I am really excited to see M20 builds coming back
                Simon,
                I'm not sure. bimmerheads handled it.
                i autox'ed it today so it's probably broken in. I'll look into dyno'ing it soon.
                But its enough power to get into trouble. I've been driving like an idiot non-stop and I know it's going to lead to a ticket.
                It is pinging with the markd tune only under WOT at 4k+ rpm. i need a new tune from mark soon and that should help with the dyno numbers.
                Much wow
                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                  Simon,
                  I'm not sure. bimmerheads handled it.
                  i autox'ed it today so it's probably broken in. I'll look into dyno'ing it soon.
                  But its enough power to get into trouble. I've been driving like an idiot non-stop and I know it's going to lead to a ticket.
                  It is pinging with the markd tune only under WOT at 4k+ rpm. i need a new tune from mark soon and that should help with the dyno numbers.
                  Did they not provide you with a spec sheet?

Stock Bore (84mm) yields ~ 2860cc (call it 2.9L)
                  Mahle Motorsport 85mm Pistons gets you to 2928cc, could technically be called a 3L, but closer to 2.9L still... so maybe its a custom piston, but then they should have some specs to get one made

Thats why I ask. Any specific specs behind the port work too would be awesome. I get that people love them, but I love science and numbers too. Please share the dyno specs when you have them... and update your thread now!
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Pic of my vert after the parts swap from the schwarz last week:

Comment

Originally posted by CabbE30 View Post
                      Pic of my vert after the parts swap from the schwarz last week:

Nice! looks like mine almost. Same wheels even.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRob View Post
                        The golf GTI is always a good choice for a hot hatchback. I like the R53 mini coopers, I've seen a few with failed superchargers and waterpumps are kind of a pain in the ass on them but they are fun cars and are basically tiny E46's. There's also the Ford SVT Focus, pretty good little car and you can get them cheap. The interiors are shit though. Don't forget about the 318ti, they get a bad rap but I personally like them. The ep3 Civic SI too, kinda funky but reliable and fun, would probably make a good track day car too.
                        I had one VW, ('89 GTI), and my mom has had a couple Beetle's and Beetle Turbo's and I've sworn that I'll never have another VW lol. The R53 is potentially expensive and no matter what, will have to be expensive at one point or another and that's really the only thing that holds me off of them. I've always liked the SVT focus more than I'd like to admit for just about as long as I can remember but I don't think I've ever seen one in person, let alone driven one or known anyone who has/had one. The 318Ti would be my absolute go-to for a potential swap car but right now, that's out of the question. As far as Civic's go, I'd love an EG but as far as Honda's go, a Fit Sport piques my interest...

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                        Can be had with the dual clutch automated manual too...since we all know you prefer autos.
                        You had me at auto tbh ;D

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                        The R53 Mini is certainly fun, but it's cramped in the engine compartment and you'll be back to buying BMW parts. For a low buck hot hatch, Japanese may very well be the way to go, as they're pretty bulletproof.

Normally I'm not a proponent that the latest is the greatest, but some of the newer cars a pretty potent. The Fiesta ST is a blast to drive and can be had used in the low to mid teens. The interior isn't anything special, but it's also ~2700 lbs. and is fun right out of the box. For a little more money, the Focus ST offers a more practical back seat and a bit more power, but does weigh more.

A newer GTi is another option (MK7). Not as raw as the Ford ST cars, but you do get a nicer interior and less boy-racer styling if that matters.

Probably the most reliable of the hatchbacks is the one made by Chevrolet with the pushrods and fiberglass body. Comes with a complementary Hawaiian shirt too ;D
                        Yeah, as much as an R53 is my personal favorite, it's definitely one of those "gotta pay to play" cars and with my 135 nearing completion, I can't see myself opting for the R53 in the long run. I'd absolutely love a Fiesta ST but that's out of my price range for now and I'm not gonna get a 2nd car payment lol. Also, sign me up for the shirt :mrgreen:
                        C6Z
                        S2K
                        VeloN

Comment

The upside to the SVT is you can find one in top shape for probably 5 grand or less because they were never really popular here. As long as you don't car what people think you'll be fine. The Caterham 7 came with the SVT focus engine and those things can move pretty good, the Brits seem to love them.

The standard Mazda 3 is also supposed to be a really great car to drive, especially with a manual transmission and also on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Reliable, good cars for the most part. You could also go for the Protege 5, the predecessor to the Mazda 3 hatchback.

Comment

I could use some advice.

I plan to put an s50 in my daily and possibly auto-cross it occasionally. It's currently on H&R Sport with Bilstein Sport shocks.

I have a full 5-lug swap from my crashed vert that I was going to sell, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Since I plan on upping the power, should I use the 5-lug swap to get the bigger brakes, tire width, and tire options? Or is the stock brake system with good pads/rotors and stock wheels with good tires sufficient for the extra power??
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

More power could use more brakes. Its not absolutely necessary but its a good idea since you already have the parts
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

I would keep the 5 lug swap, especially if you want to autox every so often.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X