No announcement yet.

VIN #336 Craigslist Find. S38 Swapped Euro E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments guys. It is definitely a sweet car and I am amazed at the condition of it. The more I look at it, the more the tails and wheels grow on me.

So we have still been having nonstop rain but received a few things and decided to give it a shot today.

The old air temp sensor was all rusty so I ordered a new one and replaced it. I also swapped out the spark plugs.

Here are spark plugs, cylinder 6 on the left, 1 on the right.

Next to a new plug.

Nothing looks too terrible though.

I couldn't get to the cap and rotor due to the space constraints of the cooling system. I also didn't have time to drain it so I will have to save that for another day. Maybe an oxygen sensor is due as well.

The hood shock and linkage is missing. Not sure what caused it but the whole bracket that should be here is missing.

You'll see my makeshift hood strut in this photo.

I also filled up with some new gas today.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Is that a J.Hill Spoiler?
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        Is that a J.Hill Spoiler?
        Yup

Comment

Pep boys off academy has a license plate holder that will bolt I to your euro holes, then bolt your rear plate to the holder. Cost about $5 too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Holy shit, amazing story! Congrats!

Comment

ooh screw you man
              88 325is Five Speed
              Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                Pep boys off academy has a license plate holder that will bolt I to your euro holes, then bolt your rear plate to the holder. Cost about $5 too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Eric,

Is it this one?

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

yup yup! I bought one for the M5.
                  My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Very cool, congrats on the find.
                    1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
                    1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
                    1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
                    E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

this is mindblowing!
                      www.instagram.com/snwmble
                      #snwmble

Current:
                      '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                      '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                      '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                      '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                      '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                      '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                      '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                      '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Nice score! Bet it's a blast, can't beat that sound.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post

Here are spark plugs, cylinder 6 on the left, 1 on the right.

Nothing looks too terrible though.
                          Great find.

The plugs look fine in the photo - no. 4 might be a bit wet, but only looks that way in one photo, others look good.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Beautiful. I really like the tails and wheels with that nice grey on the body. Is the ix build getting pushed behind lol
                            BMW tech
                            Umass Amherst
                            05 wrx sti

Comment

The only thing I don't like about this car is..... The fact that is not parked next to my e30 great find and good luck with it! It looks bad ass I wouldn't change a thing other than address the small hiccups and clean up the rust spots!

Comment

Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post
                                Beautiful. I really like the tails and wheels with that nice grey on the body. Is the ix build getting pushed behind lol
                                Thanks for the comments guys. I hope to get it running right and will get a full cleanup and some nice photos done once it is. As far as the turbo iX goes, the turbo is burning some oil so I figured the bearings/ seals are bad on it. Its an ebay special so I decided to pony up and ordered a precision 5862 which should be here this week. Keep an eye out for that thread.

As for the silver car, I decided to give the ignition system an overhaul with the new cap and rotor. Unfortunately the clearance is so tight that you have to remove the radiator to access the cap. So yesterday I decided to give it a try.

The hoses from the radiator are pretty old and you can tell have been on the car for some time. I drained the system and went to pull the radiator out. Until I ran into this....

Its like some plastic strips of something inside the radiator hoses???
                                And as I dug around more, they were stuck inside the radiator too. Maybe they are supposed to absorb heat in the radiator, or keep the flow turbulent? Who knows, but they were also jammed into the thermostat as you can see in the pictures, so I decided to pull them out. Those crazy germans. :hitler: Maybe less pressure drop in the cooling system and a thermostat that is not impeded by plastic crap will work better.

And when it was all out, here is the pile of the crazy plastic stuff which is now sitting nicely in the garbage bin.

Also, I believe I found some of the problem with the stumble at idle. The cam seal seems to be leaking so there was oil all over the cap and rotor.

But the cap still looks virtually new. I still put the new one in there since I already bought it.

And the oily mess that was in there. After a compression test and possible outcomes of that, I will address the cam seal.

And as you might expect, I had to take it for a test drive after the tune up. The backfiring has basically disappeared and it drives smoother in the lower RPMs but its still not quite running 100%. Sorry for the wind noise. Check out 1080p below!

Comment

Working...
                                X