No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know those feels man. I've just recently been able to fully enjoy my car without something nagging at me and it's been a revelation.

I flip on build goals all the time, I think a lot of us do, but the evolution over time is important. It's easy to get caught up in the powerhouse builds going on around R3v and end up in a cycle of constant tinkering, modifications, restoration, etc. and get burned out on it.

A strong running M20 with a great suspension setup is an absolute treat. Stoked you're finally able to enjoy it!!

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

-I fall in love with this car more every time I drive it.

-I am amazed at how quick this car is- I've never driven an E30 that has even come close to the agility, quickness in revs, low rpm torque, and top end power band. Shows what a healthy M20 can do (Matt, you were right about this M20). Having a low mile DOT G260 is a dream come true. It completes the driving experience.

There was something about that M20 that was special...don't know exactly what but it was the strongest runner I have owned outside my '86 Euro. I imagine the cam really woke it up.

Your first comment is gold - we all try to chase this feeling with our projects but it can be hard to catch. I think you are right, keep enjoying the car and it will naturally lead you to the next step...

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
        I know those feels man. I've just recently been able to fully enjoy my car without something nagging at me and it's been a revelation.

I flip on build goals all the time, I think a lot of us do, but the evolution over time is important. It's easy to get caught up in the powerhouse builds going on around R3v and end up in a cycle of constant tinkering, modifications, restoration, etc. and get burned out on it.

A strong running M20 with a great suspension setup is an absolute treat. Stoked you're finally able to enjoy it!!
        It sounds like you totally get it- I certainly think we all do have a few moments of hope ("I should do this LS swap and full resto!") when reading a 200 page thread not realizing that someone spent thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars on said car. Finally learning how to keep it in check (even after I built this car and didn't learn)

Once you dump that much time and money into the car, I find it quite hard to enjoy, which normally results in a for sale post upon completion. Thankfully I got things back under control before it got to that point. I can't say that the M3 build will be the same, but that hasn't quite begun just yet :)

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
        There was something about that M20 that was special...don't know exactly what but it was the strongest runner I have owned outside my '86 Euro. I imagine the cam really woke it up.
        Your first comment is gold - we all try to chase this feeling with our projects but it can be hard to catch. I think you are right, keep enjoying the car and it will naturally lead you to the next step...
        MJ
        It really is a runner- you'll have to drive it the next time we meet up, I think the chip, injectors, BBTB, cam, head work, as well as the removal of AC and engine fan really helps the motor do it's thing!

And yes, that's what it's all about in the end- really driving/enjoying the car and only upgrading/changing things based on what you'd like to see improved/different based on driving experience!

All of that aside, though, I'm quite excited to see your iS come to life with the Aluminum 24v.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Haven't been doing much with cars lately, but the SSSquid MAF conversion arrived the other day and I am absolutely pumped to get it on the car. I think this will be huge for the E30 community, as it is a true conversion, aka it does not need a chip to run, it can be used on a stock chip. I'll be using mine with a 502 MAF.

I'd like to do a before/after dyno, so I am trying to arrange that with a local who has a dynojet.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Haven't been doing much with cars lately, but the SSSquid MAF conversion arrived the other day and I am absolutely pumped to get it on the car. I think this will be huge for the E30 community, as it is a true conversion, aka it does not need a chip to run, it can be used on a stock chip. I'll be using mine with a 502 MAF.

I'd like to do a before/after dyno, so I am trying to arrange that with a local who has a dynojet.
            Very interested to see dyno figures. cool stuff!

Originally posted by 2mAn
            The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
              Very interested to see dyno figures. cool stuff!
              We'll see if it works out- it's looking like it's going to be too much $$ to mess with it. I think one of the biggest benefits will be response/driving experience, I will update with my driving impressions when I get it installed!
              Last edited by AWDBOB; 09-18-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

We'll see if it works out- it's looking like it's going to be too much $$ to mess with it. I think one of the biggest benefits will be response/driving experience, I will update with my driving impressions when I get it installed!
                Ah, understandable. In for results/impressions regardless, good luck.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
                  Ah, understandable. In for results/impressions regardless, good luck.
                  Thanks! I'm trying to find a MAF pigtail to wire this thing up. Once I find one I'll be in business.

2man inspired me to suck it up and get some leather boots. These were like $30 shipped from the UK- nice quality and fitment.

I tried to buy a wood mushroom shift knob on FB but the seller kept changing his price and after agreeing on a price he sold it out from under me. Still trying to find an old wood mushroom push on knob that's not crazy overpriced if someone reading has one for sale. Running an eBay cheapie for the time being.

I also rebuilt my cluster- it's quite exciting having everything working. I have four lights on I am anxious to fix: Coolant level, Wiper Fluid, ABS, and Brake Lining.

I'm waiting on the waterproof solder connections to come in. Once I get those I can wire up my coolant sensor (M42 rad location) and move my wiper plug to the iX location to get my iX wiper res functional. I also have an ABS sensor that's bad, light comes on after a bit of driving. Need to unplug them one by one to see which one is the culprit. Then finally brake lining- I used the best parts car pads I had out of my bucket since someone lifted my new H&R parts from the old garage. I've got new sensors, need to snag new pads and throw the sensors on.

I also got fog light glass from Staszek that I need to throw on. Lots of things coming together on this car, feels good.

Comment

Thanks! I'm trying to find a MAF pigtail to wire this thing up. Once I find one I'll be in business.

2man inspired me to suck it up and get some leather boots. These were like $30 shipped from the UK- nice quality and fitment.
                    link for said boots?
                    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
                      link for said boots?

Comment

Utility vehicle:

Oh, and someone buy my heckblende so I don't keep it and put it on this car.

Comment

May or may not have shaken on this Delphin 24v sedan today.....
                          IMG_2593 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

May or may not have shaken on this Delphin 24v sedan today.....
                            Ooooh Delphin.....that's a development. Sure looks like a really clean car...we will of course need more details.

When are you adding on to the garage??

MJ

Comment

I tried to buy a wood mushroom shift knob on FB but the seller kept changing his price and after agreeing on a price he sold it out from under me. Still trying to find an old wood mushroom push on knob that's not crazy overpriced if someone reading has one for sale. Running an eBay cheapie for the time being.
                              I got a custom wood shift knob done up by Simon Basil of @builtbybasil on IG, he's pretty good to work with if you want something done custom. Does sssquid have a price in mind for the MAF conversion once it hits mass production? Would like to do that on mine.

Comment

She's home! Thanks again, Vic. This thing is a treat.

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                                Ooooh Delphin.....that's a development. Sure looks like a really clean car...we will of course need more details.

When are you adding on to the garage??

MJ
                                At the is rate I'll be needing to add another two bays any month now :D

Some may recognize this car, as it was sold on here last year from CA. My buddy bought it in Indy, spent his time with the car perfecting it, and decided to let it go in lieu of a Supra he is chasing. The car is completely rust free and had a respray in 2012 which was done very nicely.

The motor is a fully rebuilt S52 bottom end with an M50NV head. The PO built the setup for simplicity and linear power without the vanos. I'm not sure I would've gone the same route with the top end, but it certainly feels more "raw" than your typical 24v car, and a bit more fitting to the E30. The thing rips, even with the 2.93. It just keeps pulling.

The swap was done awesome, fully functioning AC just hooked up with the Zionsville lines, iX booster setup, repinned harness, 2.93LSD, G260 just rebuilt by Zimmerman, exhaust is very quiet and was done well, just a ton of goodies all of the way through the car like E30M3 springs, Ronals, Z3 rack, etc etc. It's nice to see small things done right all over this car like a heat shield over the passenger engine mount, new coolant res, harness covers, etc etc.

I am a huge fan of the Delphin, too. In person it's really a beautiful car and it drives/cruises like a dream.

Originally posted by Aufbau Principle View Post
                                I got a custom wood shift knob done up by Simon Basil of @builtbybasil on IG, he's pretty good to work with if you want something done custom. Does sssquid have a price in mind for the MAF conversion once it hits mass production? Would like to do that on mine.
                                I believe I saw those knobs! They were a bit more than I was wanting to spend IIRC. I wish the old mushroom knobs weren't so hard to come by.

I don't know about pricing yet, but if you go on his website you can subscribe to updates specifically regarding the MAF conversion here: https://www.sssquid.com/v3/e30-maf-conversion/

Comment

Working...
                                X