e46 steering rack installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46 steering rack installed

Wanted to provide a bit of feedback on this install.

My car is a 89 non airbag. I did NOT need to extend the knuckle. I found this out after extending and ended having to bolt back to the original position. Maybe there was a cross over before they went to the air bag models. I don't know but i would recommend you try your existing knuckle before cutting your old one up.

On the e46 rack i was able to grind down the splined shaft that connects to the steering rack to the point where it is notched to catch the bolt. This was much easier than i expected. Be careful not to go past the pin in the middle of the groove. The pin holds the spline to something inside the rack (I removed the pin from my old e30 rack to experiment with it.) This grind allowed the knuckle to slide closer to the steering rack itself. With this 1/2" or so extra room it cleared the fire wall, almost. It rubbed just a bit on the firewall side where the bolt is inserted. Grinding down the corners by the bolt hole took care of it. I also had to remove the sound deadening on the firewall.

Sorry I didn't think to take pictures at the time but I hope this helps someone with the install.

///Brad

Couldn't find much info when I wanted to install an e46 rack. Found a thread explaining they are better. they are more responsive then e36. They bolt into the sub frame with spacers and e30 tie rods screw in, didn't even have to adjust my alignment. Remove the guibo in the steering shaft. 84 325e

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you do a ZHP rack?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Yes removing the guibo sounds like a good option too. And correct you need little spacers for the top of the rack. Thank for mentioning.

I didn't go with the ZHP rack. From my research (which seems a little fuzzy on this topic) the ZHP rack is the same ratio but feels tighter due to less power steering boost (something about the porting inside the rack itself). This is a track car without PS so i grabbed a +01 e46 rack.

I have to disagree that e36 are cheaper. I was able to get an e46 rack shipped for $100 on eBay. I think e46 are being parted out more frequently thank the e36 these days. A rebuilt rack shipped with new inner tie rods is under $200 from the rack doctor.

Comment

E36 racks are progressive(looser at freeway speeds) and e46 are linear(more responsive)

Least that's what I read anyway.

Last edited by MikiDaCat; 06-24-2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Looking to do this soon...my E30 M3 rack is leaking

Could you share the PN's of the:

-E46 Rack you used (year and model)
            -ZF or TRW rack
            -Tie rods (E30? E36? E46?)
            -Where you purchased the spacer kit

I have been searching and cannot find this info spelled out specifically anywhere, and if it is I apologize...but I could not find it. The info info from the above questions will set things in motion for me do the swap.

Thanks!
            1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
            1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
            1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
            2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
            2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
            2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Originally posted by ed94r View Post
              Looking to do this soon...my E30 M3 rack is leaking

Could you share the PN's of the:

-E46 Rack you used (year and model)
              -ZF or TRW rack
              -Tie rods (E30? E36? E46?)
              -Where you purchased the spacer kit

I have been searching and cannot find this info spelled out specifically anywhere, and if it is I apologize...but I could not find it. The info info from the above questions will set things in motion for me do the swap.

Thanks!
              +1. I also would like to know.
              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Cool...

-Rack was 32136755065 from an 02 325 wagon. They should all be the same from 01-forward with the exception of the ZHP power steering feel. These "zhp" racks apparently ended up in a variety of 330 cars. They are seemingly common. Lots of info out there on this but its mixed. Just make sure you don't get an AWD one. Those are different from what I saw.

-Not sure the brand and the car is back in storage until the next track day. Similar to above, it shouldn't matter.

-Used the e30 tie rods that were on the car as they were fairly new and didn't want to deal with alignment. Will note that the anti back out tabs from e30 ends do not fit the new rack. I just cranked them down with some Loctite. I don't see how these could back out and I would notice the alignment was well off before they actually came to the point of fully unscrewing. If you plan on keeping the PS DO NOT crank down on the inner tie rods or you will damage the seals. For this reason rack doctor sells with inner tierods installed. The e46 are said to be a bit stronger. I don't see why that is necessary but cant hurt. From my understanding any tierods will bolt to the rack but you cant mix inner and outer tie rods. If yours aren't in good shape get some e46's with locking tabs and have them do the alignment.

-e30tech.com

Brad

Comment

How do you like the e46 rack? My dad is about to put one in his, and may be interested in putting one in mine too.

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
                    Cool...

-Rack was 32136755065 from an 02 325 wagon. They should all be the same from 01-forward with the exception of the ZHP power steering feel. These "zhp" racks apparently ended up in a variety of 330 cars. They are seemingly common. Lots of info out there on this but its mixed. Just make sure you don't get an AWD one. Those are different from what I saw.

-Not sure the brand and the car is back in storage until the next track day. Similar to above, it shouldn't matter.

-Used the e30 tie rods that were on the car as they were fairly new and didn't want to deal with alignment. Will note that the anti back out tabs from e30 ends do not fit the new rack. I just cranked them down with some Loctite. I don't see how these could back out and I would notice the alignment was well off before they actually came to the point of fully unscrewing. If you plan on keeping the PS DO NOT crank down on the inner tie rods or you will damage the seals. For this reason rack doctor sells with inner tierods installed. The e46 are said to be a bit stronger. I don't see why that is necessary but cant hurt. From my understanding any tierods will bolt to the rack but you cant mix inner and outer tie rods. If yours aren't in good shape get some e46's with locking tabs and have them do the alignment.

-e30tech.com

Brad
                    Your post seems to suggest you can use the E46 rack and tie rod ends on the E30 as a drop in replacement. Isn't the track width of an E46 quite a bit larger than an E30? I would assume that the E46 rack +inner + outer tie rods would be too wide. (I have no idea if that's true or not).

I am interested in this swap, but I would like to keep my power steering. Would the best option be to use E30 inner tie rods and use red loctite to keep them from backing out?

Comment

Originally posted by MikiDaCat View Post
                      E36 racks are progressive(looser at freeway speeds) and e46 are linear(more responsive)

Least that's what I read anyway.

This is actually not correct. The 95 M3 rack is progressive...all other e36 racks are linear....according to the rack dr himself.
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by citizen_insane View Post
                        Your post seems to suggest you can use the E46 rack and tie rod ends on the E30 as a drop in replacement. Isn't the track width of an E46 quite a bit larger than an E30? I would assume that the E46 rack +inner + outer tie rods would be too wide. (I have no idea if that's true or not).

I am interested in this swap, but I would like to keep my power steering. Would the best option be to use E30 inner tie rods and use red loctite to keep them from backing out?
                        I believe this to be true but not 100% sure since i didn't try it. The e46 rods looked about the same size and there is a lot of adjustability. I do know you can't mix and match. I used my existing e30 inner & outer with loctite. The size of the rack visually appears the same.

I also have done this swap with the e36 rack using e36 inner and outer tie rods. It was bolt in.

I like the rack but haven't put a ton of miles on it. Its a track car and haven't done any track days since the swap. The e36 rack is in my 318is...it was a great upgrade. I am not sure i can tell much of a difference between 36/46.

Comment

Here is my setup. Hope it helps.
                          - E46 ZHP (gold tag) rack
                          - AKG rack swap kit
                          - The knuckle had to be machined a bit to avoid binding. This was achieved with a dremel. This is normal with any rack swap.
                          - The power steering lines bolted up- I just installed the high pressure line backwards. I now run the rack with a Garagistic delete.
                          - I used E36 outer tie rods and E46 inners.

Comment

Does anyone find the E46 rack to be too twitchy?

Comment

Also, I'm looking to do the rack swap myself and have done a fair amount of reading. My E30 is my daily driver so I need to get all the parts I before I start this. Here's what I have so far, can anyone read and let me know if I've covered all the bases?

Rack - Either one of these options for an E46 2001+ ZHP:
                              Maval rebuilt rack part number 93257M
                              Rack Doctor

This rack will come with E46 inner tie rods so I need to procure E36 (or E30??) outer tie rods

Conversion kit for steering knuckle:
                              Ebay Rack Conversion kit
                              or AKG Install Kit

- I will need to grind the knuckle to avoid binding

- I can reverse my existing high pressure line

- Replace power steering hoses and reservoir only if needed

Am I missing anything?
                              Last edited by SFF; 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X