Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    I can't believe how clean your car is, looks brand new! I like the way you are going with it also, eight years ago I would have said lower it but nowadays a stock E30 like this is seriously appealing. Enjoy it!
    Thanks! I plan to update some of the interior photos with the freshly cleaned Lloyd's mats in place. :D

The only modifications on the car are an aftermarket JVC head unit (garbage), Stagg springs and shocks (installed by the last owner), and the moonroof (installed by the dealership when the car was purchased new in late 1990). I believe the Stagg suspension setup lowers the car slightly (1" maybe). I do have the stock springs, which I may reinstall with new Bilstein HDs at some point. Keeping this car as original as possible is appealing to me.

Comment

Sounds like it's in good hands.
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

A couple minor updates...

I picked up a Peake Research R5 FCX 2 tool yesterday. I can read/clear codes with it as well as reset service lights. I had one code which was for the speed sensor. The speed sensor wiring clip had broken a couple months ago and I already replaced it. The code was still in the system. I reset my inspection light as well.

I also investigated a rattling sound from the rear of the car. I thought it might be the parking brake components inside the rear rotors so I took those apart. Those were in great shape so it wasn't those. I could be the inboard brake pads rattling against the caliper. The pads and rotors had plenty of meat left. I applied anti-seize to all bolts when reinstalling.

And one last shot of the clean engine bay for good measure...

Last edited by mike.bmw; 09-30-2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Very Nice
          Discounts to all R3VLimited users on Amsoil products www.tampabaysynthetics.com

Comment

I was rooting around the engine yesterday trying to track down an oil leak. This is what I started with:

This is where I ended up after about an hour: ;)

I encountered a few problems, kept digging, and decided it will be best to do the following:

- Replace ALL the rubber fuel lines, vacuum lines, and coolant lines in the engine bay (including the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets). Yes, I'm going to replace the "mess under the intake" with all new BMW brand parts. Yes, it's expensive and I realize I garage the car and don't need to heat the throttle body, but I want it to be all original.
            - Clean the throttle body and ICV while they are out of the car.
            - Replace the oil filter housing gasket, o-ring, and oil pressure sender (all are leaking).
            - Send my fuel injectors out to Marren to be cleaned/blueprinted/whatever'd.

That'll be a pretty extensive refresh of that area of the car. I shopped around a bit, but it's going to be $300 in parts (hoses, clamps, gaskets, senders, etc). The funny thing is the car was running pretty well. The engine was smooth and the idle was steady. The lower ICV hose had a 2" split in it. The FPR vacuum hose has split. And both multi-hose thingys under the intake were cracked and leaking. How did the engine even run, let alone maintain idle?

The only thing I'm trying to track down at the moment are the torque specs for the upper and lower intake manifolds. I imagine it's ~10 ft lbs as it required no effort to break them free.

I came across a couple interesting things while tearing down the intake system:
            - a large piece of rock solid clay bar that was wedged between the head and lower intake manifold. The original paint is in excellent shape. One of the previous owners must have been a big fan of clay bar. :nice:
            - the remains of a mud dauber nest between another section of the lower intake manifold. The car must have sit for a while at some point. That would explain the relatively low mileage (135K miles).

The work I'm embarking on would normally take a couple days. It'll likely take me a couple weeks or more. Between work and family, it's very hard to find time to work on the car unless it's an hour during 'nap time', after 10PM, or before 6AM. Thankfully this is not my daily driver and I can take my time with it.

Wish me luck!

Comment

I just went through all of that with my previous 318iS.

I see you are in VA. In that case, I wouldn't remove the "mess under the intake" but rather repair it. The heater plate between the throttle body and the intake manifold does play an important role in cold weather.

In California, we don't have an issue of "cold weather", so I removed most of the mess and simplified.

Here is a link to my mini-thread. I went through a lot of the same stuff. Good luck!
              world renown Harry Potter expert
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                I just went through all of that with my previous 318iS.

I see you are in VA. In that case, I wouldn't remove the "mess under the intake" but rather repair it. The heater plate between the throttle body and the intake manifold does play an important role in cold weather.

In California, we don't have an issue of "cold weather", so I removed most of the mess and simplified.

Here is a link to my mini-thread. I went through a lot of the same stuff. Good luck!
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384159
                Very nice 318is! I've read through your thread before. :D

I had a couple hours during my daughter's nap to work on the car today. I removed the alternator, lower intake manifold, cleaned up the intake ports on the head, cleaned the throttle body, and cleaned the ICV. I still need to remove the oil filter housing, clean it, and swap out the o-ring and gasket. I also need to clean the upper and lower intake manifolds as well as remove the injectors from the lower intake manifold so I can send them out for cleaning.

Here are some shots before I cleaned up the intake ports on the head:

Mud dauber nest:

Cracked and leaking mess under intake:

Comment

I love doing jobs like this on personal cars. The difference is astronomical.

May I suggest 19lb 4-pintle injectors and a stage 1 SSSquid chip for the 318iS.
                  It's non-invasive but the overall drivability and power is increased, but more-so steadied. It really is a pleasant upgrade from factory equipment.
                  world renown Harry Potter expert
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                    I love doing jobs like this on personal cars. The difference is astronomical.

May I suggest 19lb 4-pintle injectors and a stage 1 SSSquid chip for the 318iS.
                    It's non-invasive but the overall drivability and power is increased, but more-so steadied. It really is a pleasant upgrade from factory equipment.
                    That's what I'm hoping for!

I've done some research on the injectors you've suggested. I believe I would need the Bosch 0280150556. Any idea if the o-rings and pintle caps that come with these injectors are correct for the M42?

Comment

All of this work should really make the car drive very nicely, I wish I would have done the same years ago on my M42.

If you stick with your stock injectors, or even if you buy the 19lb injectors, I highly recommend MEPEH (r3v member) http://www.mepeh.com/

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

That's a clean car! Very nice find! Glad it went to an obviously good home.

Comment

Great work man! Looks incredibly clean.

Quick question about the door seal. How long ago did you order it? I emailed them about an order few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. Wasn't sure if they're no longer in business or maybe just slow in responding to requests.

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          Work In Progress

- Passenger side door seal. Mine had shrunk and caused a 1" gap in the top back corner. I could see daylight when the door was closed. I ordered an aftermarket reproduction piece from this place: https://vintageautobahn.wordpress.com/e30-parts/ It's spot on and worked perfectly.
                          fried chicken

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                            All of this work should really make the car drive very nicely, I wish I would have done the same years ago on my M42.

If you stick with your stock injectors, or even if you buy the 19lb injectors, I highly recommend MEPEH (r3v member) http://www.mepeh.com/
                            I hope so. The funny thing is I thought it was running well before. Like I said, it had a smooth idle, good MPGs, and otherwise performed well.

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                            That's a clean car! Very nice find! Glad it went to an obviously good home.
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by anthonymax007 View Post
                            Great work man! Looks incredibly clean.

Quick question about the door seal. How long ago did you order it? I emailed them about an order few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. Wasn't sure if they're no longer in business or maybe just slow in responding to requests.
                            Thanks!

I emailed them and didn't get a response either. I ended up calling them, they were very helpful, and I did get responses to subsequent emails. It may have been June of this year, though I can't remember exactly. I believe they are still in business.
                            Last edited by mike.bmw; 10-21-2016, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Slow progress and my back is killing me.

I broke down the fuel rail.

I cleaned everything I've taken off the car. The mating surfaces are ready for reassembly. The lower intake manifold had a ton of gunk in it. It almost covered the injectors completely.

I've cleaned up the engine bay as well. I've left the 'mess under the intake' mostly intact so I'll know how the new parts go back together when they arrive in the mail.

I ordered a new plastic coolant/block tube and o-ring this morning along with a ton of other coolant lines. All OEM BMW. This is getting expensive. ;D

A couple things left to do:
                              - take off the oil filter housing to clean it and replace the gasket and o-ring
                              - either send my injectors off to be cleaned or buy new injectors
                              - reassemble everything (hopefully I remember where everything goes!)

Further cleaning of the engine and bay:

Pile of parts cleaned and ready for reassembly:

Last edited by mike.bmw; 10-11-2016, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Such a clean car!

The past E30 me would tell you to do whatever you want to it to enjoy it the most. But the new E30 me wants to tell you to keep your car as stock as possible. It is ridiculously clean!
                                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                                X