Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights

So i had the idea to wire up all 4 headlights to be the same, meaning 4 low and 4 high. Anyone ever done it or have seen it done. I'm wondering how it might look or if ill have powering issues.

If you mean 2 low and 2 high, that is the default wiring on my Touring. My low beams stay on when I turn my high beams on. There's no powering issues, because low beams and high beams are independently fed.

Comment

Want to get others to flash you all the time? Cause that's how you'll get it done...

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

No I want to swap the high only for high/low so that all 4 function the same. I realize I may get flashed and if it becomes an issue it would be a matter of clipping one wire. The only real reason to do it is to be different, I haven't seen it done before.

Comment

Originally posted by BanickiJ View Post
          The only real reason to do it is to be different, I haven't seen it done before.
          being different is often not a good enough reason to do something. but seriously here is what you gotta do...

you need to find a semi sealed bulb of the same size as an e30 light, that takes a H4 bulb. A h4 bulb has a low beam filiment and a high beam filiment. the semi sealed beam that takes a h4 bulb will be designed to reflect these two filiments correctly.

I did almost exactly what you are talking to on my old corolla, it had quad 4 headlights like an e30. The outside two headlights were H4 bulbs (high and low) and the inside bulbs were sealed beams (just high). so low beam i had the two outside lights on, and high beam i had all 4 come on. High beam was awesome with 4 bulbs on. it was like having two spot lights as well as the high beams, and it was quite stealth.

you would need to get all 4 of the beams to be semi sealed with h4 to do your idea. Then you would have all 4 on on low beam, and all 4 on at high beam and they wont blind anyone on low beam.

The downside is that a h4 semi sealed beam doesn't look as cool as an e30 projector beam.

If you go the dual h4 route you are going to have to do some DIY custom wiring to make it work, given you will be driving twice as many watts of lighting than the factory wiring i would recomend puting in two new relays in, one for high beam and one for low beam. Use the factory wiring to drive these relays with a fused feed directly from the battery.
          Last edited by e30davie; 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            being different is often not a good enough reason to do something.
            Cough
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

So what's your purpose behind this?
              @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I have a parts car laying around so I was just going to use the lows from that. Purpose wise I guess more light output. Otherwise its just something to try, I like to modify while keeping it subtle.

Comment

It would be way cooler if you had the existing four lights as low beams and add four more in between the existing four and have those as your high beams.

Kindey beans are gay anyways.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

No headlights FTW!!!

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Your fuses would blow because the circuit isn’t heavy enough to handle the amperage draw. You can install bigger fuses which would probably result in melted wiring or likely a fire. Honestly, if I saw a car with a mod like this, I would want to kill it with fire anyway so it’s probably a fitting end. So, yeah.....do it, but make sure you post cell phone pics of the fire trucks putting out the flames.

This is one of the silliest notions I’ve seen here in a while.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Ok so it looks like no one actually cares to give a positive input to trying something new, so ill just do it and keep any results to myself. I guess all these diy and how-to's just appeared out of nowhere and no one ever just tryed something new, like rewiring the headlights with the proper gauge wire, fuses and relays. Thanks for all the help and encouragement to contribute to the forum.

Comment

Ok so it looks like no one actually cares to give a positive input to trying something new, so ill just do it and keep any results to myself. I guess all these diy and how-to's just appeared out of nowhere and no one ever just tryed something new, like rewiring the headlights with the proper gauge wire, fuses and relays. Thanks for all the help and encouragement to contribute to the forum.
                          I mean... someone was kind enough to let you know that you'll burn your car to the ground if you tried to do something like this.

I you ask me, that's caring.
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I gave you a step by step post on how to do it.

Comment

This subject is nothing new. If you search on this matter you'll find people asking about it here and there for the past 13 years on here. Let that sink in, 13 years and still not an acceptable mod. Even noncar people will ask why that idiot has all four lights on at the same time. Anyways it's always the same, the guy with the idea to run 4 lows at once. Then everyone raising their eyebrow saying how bad of an idea it is. Sealed beams are not the best lights. If you're looking to mod, ditch the sealed beams and go with a H4 outer light and H1 inner light. It's not about how bright the light is but how it is controlled.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Working...
                              X