It finally happened....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It finally happened....

After 5 years and 30K miles of driving with my M50 swap, I bonked the oil pan something fierce today. If you look behind my car you can see a small water ditch in the road....well it wasn't so small and I didn't see it till the last minute. Shut the car off soon as I hit and coasted to a stop. Dumped 6 quarts of oil all over the streets of Leadville, CO (sorry anyone who lives there) and was stuck.

I called AAA for a tow and since I have a gold membership, I get 100 miles of free towing. I was 99.6 miles from my house , just made it. Driver wouldn't be there for another hour and half so I grabbed my BMX and went to the skatepark I was heading to in the first place and made the most of a shitty situation.

Tow truck showed up, offered me a rip off his vape pen, loaded up and headed back to Denver. Dude even helped me push it into my garage. So....anyone got an E34 pan you want to sell me? ;D

-Nick
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Damn man that sucks!
    Continuous For Sale Thread
    323i s50

Comment

Welcome to the club.

Comment

Haha, the vape pen is my favorite part of the story.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

So is a skid plate part of the repairs?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

can tell if you're purposefully throwing up the horns in that sweet tabletop pic or not but its sick (euro af btw)
            bikes are cool.
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              So is a skid plate part of the repairs?
              Yep!

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              can tell if you're purposefully throwing up the horns in that sweet tabletop pic or not but its sick (euro af btw)
              bikes are cool.
              Ha didn't notice that, not on purpose. Sometimes my fingers just come off
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

badass pic at the skate park.

Comment

That sucks. 24V and M42 cars need a skid plate badly if they're any lower than stock. I like to crap on stanceboys when this happens to them but your car isn't even that low.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    That sucks. 24V and M42 cars need a skid plate badly if they're any lower than stock. I like to crap on stanceboys when this happens to them but your car isn't even that low.

Yea I'm not that low. H&R springs on bilsteins but the 24v pan sits quite low regardless. I've almost got it off but realized I need to lower the front lower subframe to get it off and I lost motivation last night.

On a related note...has anyone had much success welding a pan? Friend of mine said he can tig and the crack looks mostly like a crack and not chunks missing. Would save me a good bit of time and money I could then put towards a skid plate.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                      Yea I'm not that low. H&R springs on bilsteins but the 24v pan sits quite low regardless. I've almost got it off but realized I need to lower the front lower subframe to get it off and I lost motivation last night.

On a related note...has anyone had much success welding a pan? Friend of mine said he can tig and the crack looks mostly like a crack and not chunks missing. Would save me a good bit of time and money I could then put towards a skid plate.
                      I cracked my oil pan like 4 years ago and had the crack welded in by my dad's friend. It's held up since then but the crack wasn't that big. Not sure how big yours is.

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Narek View Post
                        I cracked my oil pan like 4 years ago and had the crack welded in by my dad's friend. It's held up since then but the crack wasn't that big. Not sure how big yours is.

It's pretty big and runs from the top down about halfway across the bottom of the pan. I finally got the pan off tonight. Had to unbolt the engine and trans mounts, unbolt the subframe, then raise and support the engine, lower the sub frame and wiggle it out. Sadly the weld goes right under the baffles in the lower part of the pan so I without being able to weld on both sides I don't want to risk having it leak again later on. Plus the crack goes into the mating surface so it might not be square once welded up. I went ahead and ordered one off ebay tonight.
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

[emoji33][emoji35]🤬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take a die grinder and open up the crack into a V shaped groove using a ball burr or the corner of a round burrs. Even a welder with not too much experience should be able to fix your oilpan without concern for leaking. You can always put a second layer over the crack on the outside for more protection.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
                            Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

better to just find another pan in the local lkq pick a part. you guys have 2 of them in Denver and there is a really good pick a part south of littleton.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                              X