Clearance around the M20 after disconnecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearance around the M20 after disconnecting

I need to unhook my motor mounts and, before I do that, I was wondering what kind of clearance I have to move the M20 around safely, before needing to disconnect hoses and wires?

I've seen 4" thrown around in other tutorials, without any mention of disconnecting things.

Thoughts?
    current:
    89 325i

previous:
    87 325i
    86 325 stroker frankenstein

How are you supporting the engine?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

"unhooking your motor mounts"? The only reason why you would ask this is if you've got a cracked oil pan I would think. nO

Your fuel hoses won't like to be lifted 4" on most e30. Nor will the intake to air filter. Your tranny mounts will pivot to let you do that, but you'll be putting the DS and shift linkage at an angle. So watch for that.

If you told us why you need to raise your motor 4" - we might be able to help more.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

There's plenty of wiggle room if you're careful. If you're just replacing the motor mounts, then it's safe to lift the engine with a block of wood on the oil pan high enough to r&r the mounts. Like george said, just watch the fuel lines and it may be wise to disconnect the intake boot from the afm.
        My Feedback

Comment

Working...
        X