No announcement yet.

Semaj4712 - 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing your metal cell makes me wish I had gone with that one rather than the plastic bladder I got. Glad to see you're back working on the 02. Awesome build.
    1998 Volvo S70 GLT (Daily)
    2004 BMW E46 M3 (Weekender)
    1976 BMW 2002 (Never Ending Project)

Comment

Originally posted by jwill214 View Post
      Seeing your metal cell makes me wish I had gone with that one rather than the plastic bladder I got. Glad to see you're back working on the 02. Awesome build.
      I was pretty determined to find a nice aluminum tank, the plastic ones are very affordable but then I found the summit brand tanks. Which this is, and it's very very nice quality. And the price point was really good.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
      Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Does it have a rubber liner inside? Or just straight aluminum

Also that's the most epic update I've ever seen on this forum. It has everything lol

Comment

Ouch

School me on S54s. Why does the timing chain snap?

I thought they are suppose to last the life of the car; well at least for an m10 they do.

Wasn't there a recall on the 05/06 motors for bad bolts used in the VANOS system?
          Last edited by Javier h; 02-05-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Good lord. What an update. You've got some toys...

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
              Does it have a rubber liner inside? Or just straight aluminum

Also that's the most epic update I've ever seen on this forum. It has everything lol
              No not a rubber bladder inside, but it does have foam.

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
              School me on S54s. Why does the timing chain snap?

I thought they are suppose to last the life of the car; well at least for an m10 they do.

Wasn't there a recall on the 05/06 motors for bad bolts used in the VANOS system?
              Not sure, I was under the same impression myself, but as it turns out I found at least 4 or 5 people with the same problem, sometimes with as few miles as 70k...Mine was at around 152k so I am not totally surprised, also I had an oil sample analyzed by Blackstone and in their findings, there was a large amount of Iron found in the oil. So something was definitely grinding somewhere which may have had something to do with it.

The Vanos bolts did not back out like what is common on these motors, but it does appear that something either locked up or something on the exhaust side, not sure what came first the exhaust cam lock up or the broken timing chain.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

Comment

that tat is so sick - that M3 looks really clean, glad you're taking care of it!

1991 325i
                flickr
                @sambhaskins

Comment

So you probably didnt notice, but I did not post what we made my father-in-law for his birthday this year...and thats because it was still en route to him. But he got it today and so I figured Id share with you guys.

So long story short my father in law races his model a, and his hood ornament got wrecked getting pulled off the track about a year ago...

Heres the best picture we have of the old ornament

so we decided to replace it for him but we could not find anything like it...so we opted to make our own.

I started not really knowing how I was going to 3d print it, but rather just that I would model it and them print it afterwords.

So I started with this

And ended up looking like this

So then once the model was complete the task of figuring out how to make it into an actual tangible item started...I wanted the end product to be a metal and preferably chromed...Also I would need to tap the bottom to allow mounting

I found a company in belgium that was able to print a wax version and then sand casted that with brass, then chromed and a month later, this showed up...

On another note the M3 should be finished and ready to pick up tomorrow or Friday!

Comment

WOW dude thats incredible!!! Your father in law must've had his mind blown. Seriously cool. Thanks for sharing!
                    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Dude that is awesome! Mind if I ask how much that cost? would make a great idea for gifts
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

It's not cheap...I think I paid somewhere around $500 bucks, but that's after the modeling which I probably had nearly 50 hours into the actually 3d model itself.

Oh and then we had to tap the bottom, I forgot to add a pic of doing that with my machinist buddy Pete

Comment

That hood ornament is sweet. You weren't able to have that done domestically though? Everyone and their dog is 3D printing these days and foundries can be found in every state. My mother sculpts, I love seeing her pieces go through the stages; clay, mold, wax, bronze.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

I could have probably sourced it locally although they were the ones offering the complete process, they printed it in wax and went straight to the sand casting of brass. I am pretty sure if I had it printed in wax and then shipped to me or a foundry it would have been destroyed in the shipping process.

Comment

i hate this thread.

You know why, because squirrel.... that's why.

You have all of these FREAKING AWESOME toys coming in and out of the picture. I see one, then I'm like, where's that build thread? Oh, and what about this build thread?! There's no way I could manage what you do man. Keep up the craziness and the cool work.
                              Paynemw
                              1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                              the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                              1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Awesome update. I was worried this thread was dead.
                                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X