Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325IX restore and build continued(turbo, e34ix diff, DCT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So tis the season for changes, I got some time to play on the dyno a few months back and wasn't really happy with the bw363sxe. It was happy as can be at 25psi and 7k rpm and wanted a lot more. E85 and 35psi it would be a monster but really not what I want, or at least where I want the power. So I got convinced by hunter (2002tiiguy) to just bite the bullet and get a real turbo. So I decided to get a Garret gen 2 gtx3576r dual ball bearing 58mm compressor cable of 750hp! Had to modify the down pipe and run water lines to it and ready to run.

I haven't had much time to drive the car yet but what a difference, boost comes in about 2 years earlier and holds hard to red line. I think I'm going to redo the intake though and make a better design and I'm hoping for be running e85 and lots of boost next year and hopefully with a 525ix diff.

But recently I've been building a 188mm e30 medium case diff with 3.38 gears to match the e34 front. Wasn't a very easy job and had to machine my own shims to get the gear contact where I wanted it, but it's all done and just needs painted.

And the one of the spare pans is back on the surgery table and ready to get back to this e34 stuff.

Oh and this came in

Should hold the power a little better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Nice work on the diff!

Comment

Awesome work on the diff! What a beast

Comment

Awesome work, time to show some dyno graphs ;)
          1986 325iX
          2006 530xd

Comment

:popcorn:

Great progress!
            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Got a little time this weekend to play in the garage. Redid my jig to make it much stronger and more accurate. Took an extra driveshaft i had and turned it down to fit these bearings perfectly. Now i can unbolt the stock diff and oil pan to check the jig then slide the driveshaft out of the way and then put the new pan/diff in place and slide the driveshaft to right where it needs to be and in theroy it should stay perfectly inline to crank center line.

The jig is true to about 0.004 of a inch, ill take that. :)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

This is so damn cool to see happening. Keep up the good work!
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Did a little CAD (cardboard aided drafting) its going to be difficult to weld both sides but thats the plan. The 2 bolts that are right by the axle are going to be the biggest challenge but i have a plan. It should hold more oil now, but I'd like to make another trap door for the oil pick up like the factory pan has.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Excited for the next few updates. Awesome!!
                    clutchCTRL!
                    Move with a purpose.
                    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                    - 2000 323i AT
                    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

incredible work. love seeing this.

Quick question while i'm in here, can you give me an idea of odd places you've found affect the ix vacuum? since you're so well acquainted with the engine i'm curious if there was anything that ever stood out to you as an odd place for vacuum leaks? I have been dealing with my idle pushing up to 1k after it warms up and it's so frustrating...

Anyway, carry on the great work!

Comment

Thanks guys! Also most common is usually around the throttle body or valve cover if you still have the breather from that tb to that valve cover. You can spray brake cleaner around your hose connections and fittings, if it idles up you found your leak

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                          Thanks guys! Also most common is usually around the throttle body or valve cover if you still have the breather from that tb to that valve cover. You can spray brake cleaner around your hose connections and fittings, if it idles up you found your leak

Thanks. I've literally used an entire can of brake clean trying to find the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            Thanks. I've literally used an entire can of brake clean trying to find the leak.
                            Maybe try the opposite, shut the car off and make an adapter and pressure test the intake and use soup and water to see the leaks. Probably wouldn't want to push to much more then a few psi through it though. Also are you sure your dealing with a vacuum leak and not something else.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                              Maybe try the opposite, shut the car off and make an adapter and pressure test the intake and use soup and water to see the leaks. Probably wouldn't want to push to much more then a few psi through it though. Also are you sure your dealing with a vacuum leak and not something else.

Good idea

Comment

Made a few changes and some updates this weekend decided to cut the low part of the pan off and make new mounts for the lower two supports for the diff. This will make welding so much easier. Also made some collars for the two bolts that will extend through the pan, and starting made the oil traps to prevent and oil starvation.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                                X