No announcement yet.

Remote reservoir shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh, yeah maybe that's it. You can read the rules for Prepared if you like. https://www.scca.com/pages/rallycross-cars-and-rules I have a bunch of struts with rusted out tops that would be great for cutting and welding adjustable coilovers onto.

Neither Bilstein or Koni has responded yet. :(

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
    The KONI race shock bodies are just over 2" shorter than your Billy HDs will be. So you can get more travel from those if you haven't considered that option already.
    I must be missing something. How does a shorter shock give me more travel? And how would a shorter shock fit into the strut?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      Neither Bilstein or Koni has responded yet. :(
      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Oh sure, I even watched a video on how to do it and it seems really straight forward. But that's not the same as the company responding with advice.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

I must be missing something. How does a shorter shock give me more travel? And how would a shorter shock fit into the strut?
          Sorry I was thinking you were lowered and trying to get more travel.

Comment

I friend asked me this question the other day, "why not section the struts, lengthen them, and run standard RWD shocks?"

I did not have any answer, aside from the work, it sounds like a decent idea.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

They're like 6" longer - unless you're going to put a lift kit on your ix, that's not going to work.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

But then isnt it also possible to use the ground control kit to drop the spring perch way down and run much longer springs?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Your issue is the distance from the top of the strut body to the underside of the upper strut mount. As the body of the shock gets longer, this distance decreases and gives you less travel before bottoming out. Longer struts might have more travel, but without raising the ride height, you won't gain travel as the shaft will just be further in the strut.

If you are willing to raise the car up, then longer struts would work.

Comment

If droop and ride height isn't an issue, you could go with the Koni Race inserts with a spacer and remove 1" from the strut tube. There might be enough length in the strut tubes to do this while staying with stock springs - or you could go with coilovers.

Another option is to run Bilstein HDs and cut the bump stops in half. I think that could gain you an inch as well.

You know, there have been rally ix's in the past - some of them relatively famous (I used to see an Alcan 5000 team here quite a bit that campaigned an ix and did very well). Maybe look into what they've used.

Basically you can increase travel by either raising the car or shortening the struts. yeah, the RWD inserts have more travel overall, but that won't do you any good unless you raise the car up like 8", which is probably not going to work too well. ;)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I friend asked me this question the other day, "why not section the struts, lengthen them, and run standard RWD shocks?"

I did not have any answer, aside from the work, it sounds like a decent idea.
                      The RWD shocks come almost all the way down to the ball joint, while the AWD struts have to stop above the CV joint.

Comment

Yeah, raising the car 8" won't work well. Lol. 2" would be pretty good, not 8.

I cut 2/3s of the bump stops off on my street ix and that helped me stop bottoming out as well. I'm not sure why that wasn't my first go to. I also think I'll end up running different front springs.

Something like these
                        Last edited by Kershaw; 02-01-2018, 06:25 AM.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Rally suspension

Contact Murray Coote at MCA suspension. They make bespoke suspension for rally, rally cross jn Australia. They did make one off remote canister struts for you. Price will depend on level of adjustment. But circa 3 to 4k Aud.

Comment

Rally suspension

MCA Suspension is one of the highest quality suspension brands within its price bracket with local support and one of the best warranties on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              If droop and ride height isn't an issue, you could go with the Koni Race inserts with a spacer and remove 1" from the strut tube. There might be enough length in the strut tubes to do this while staying with stock springs - or you could go with coilovers.
                              How does this give you more travel? Seems that it would just allow you to lower the car 1in with the same amount of travel as stock?

Comment

Because the springs are the same length (and you dont move the perch), but the strut is shorter - so it compresses further without bottoming out.

You can only go lower if you move the spring perches lower. They are related, but separate.

A stock ix has like 2"-2.5" of travel before bottoming out - if you shorten the strut by 1" (without moving the spring perch) your total compression would be 3"-3.5".

Typically you shorten the struts with a coilover setup so you dont lose compression travel - for example, H&R sports on an ix have very little travel (~1.5"), which results in a poor ride quality. My ix is like 2.5" lower than stock, but the struts are also shorter, so the compression travel is similar to stock. Otherwise, my compression travel would literally be 0"...
                                Last edited by nando; 02-21-2018, 10:35 PM.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X