removal of 6 stud rear driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removal of 6 stud rear driveshaft

So I'm currently busy with swapping the transfer case on my uncles ix touring.
    I already removed everything just need to remove the rear driveshaft.
    I removed the 3 bolts at the guibo side and 6 nuts at the diff, the drive shaft is now just hanging from the joint (not sure what kind of joint this is really..)
    However I cant seem to get the thing off at the diff. would it be just rust welded to the flange of the diff? Anyone that has removed this before? When I do a google search on r3v all of them mention the 4 bolt, u joint drive shaft..

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
    So I'm currently busy with swapping the transfer case on my uncles ix touring.
    I already removed everything just need to remove the rear driveshaft.
    I removed the 3 bolts at the guibo side and 6 nuts at the diff, the drive shaft is now just hanging from the joint (not sure what kind of joint this is really..)
    However I cant seem to get the thing off at the diff. would it be just rust welded to the flange of the diff? Anyone that has removed this before? When I do a google search on r3v all of them mention the 4 bolt, u joint drive shaft..

The C/V style are a tight fit in the cup normally so if you have rust issue i imagine it will be a bugger to get out.tap sides with sharp chisel

Never seen that style in an IX , usually a 4bolt flange with u-joint then you have to loosen big nut in middle to collapse the driveshaft to get it out

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
      The C/V style are a tight fit in the cup normally so if you have rust issue i imagine it will be a bugger to get out.tap sides with sharp chisel

Never seen that style in an IX , usually a 4bolt flange with u-joint then you have to loosen big nut in middle to collapse the driveshaft to get it out

Ok, I'll try some penetrating oil and some hammer action.

Could it be that this is Touring specific? Both our iX Tourings have this type of driveshaft

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
        Ok, I'll try some penetrating oil and some hammer action.

Could it be that this is Touring specific? Both our iX Tourings have this type of driveshaft
        Must be ix touring only

Definitely soak with PBblaster or similar and last resort heat on cup

On some there is a slight grove around the CV circumference that you can stick a sharp chisel in to get a little purchase on driving it out of the cup

Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD
        :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
          Must be ix touring only

Definitely soak with PBblaster or similar and last resort heat on cup

On some there is a slight grove around the CV circumference that you can stick a sharp chisel in to get a little purchase on driving it out of the cup

Yeah, I got pretty lucky today with my acetone/ATF mix on the nuts of the manifold I'll try that. It's pretty hard to acces though, because the flanges meet each other at the hole in the rear subframe

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Don't remove it. The best thing to do is loosen the coupling on the end of the driveshaft (there's a big "nut") and collapse the shaft towards the rear of the car. This gives you the room to remove the transfercase.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              Don't remove it. The best thing to do is loosen the coupling on the end of the driveshaft (there's a big "nut") and collapse the shaft towards the rear of the car. This gives you the room to remove the transfercase.

This is what I was gonna say. That nut by the u-joint will collapse the driveshaft. I remember it was really confusing the first time. It was also confusing putting it back in. Take pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                This is what I was gonna say. That nut by the u-joint will collapse the driveshaft. I remember it was really confusing the first time. It was also confusing putting it back in. Take pictures.
                As far as I can tell there is no nut. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow if I have the time to stop by the workshop.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Sorry, i wrote my post and then realized it was a touring. I thought i deleted it hours ago, but it looks like it didn't take! :p
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I’ve also just found a 6 bolt rear driveshaft under my ix touring. As a bonus, the cv boot on mine is torn.

OP, did you manage to get yours out?
                    cars beep boop

Comment

I took a punch/chisel and tapped it off from the differential.
                      I'll try and take a few pictures if you want when I change out my fuel tank.

I'm not sure though how easy it will be to change that u boot? If you do manage to remove it. please share it :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I'm not super excited for it. The car also has totally blown 4.10 diffs and a manual, which is going to be quite buzzy on the highways. If I get a chance to, I'd like to swap it all for 3.91 diffs and a 4-bolt shaft, just to make finding replacements less of a headache.

But I'll try to document the CV disassembly if I can manage it.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          I'm not super excited for it. The car also has totally blown 4.10 diffs and a manual, which is going to be quite buzzy on the highways. If I get a chance to, I'd like to swap it all for 3.91 diffs and a 4-bolt shaft, just to make finding replacements less of a headache.

But I'll try to document the CV disassembly if I can manage it.
                          Yeah, over here in Europe it's fairly easy to fit some of the Touring specific stuff. I also have a whine coming from the rear under acceleration (I think it's the diff).

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                          X