Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help replacing coolant temp sensor

Hey Guys,

I’m trying to figure out how to get a socket on the blue top coolant temp sensor that I am trying to replace on my 89ix.

The brown top sensor was easy, but the blue top is at a weird angle and tougher to get to, and I’m struggling to figure out how to remove it.

Any help is appreciated as always!

Andy
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Cant get it with a combination wrench, deep socket and universal joint extension?

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

If you take the brown one out, you should be able to hit it with a wrench. It might be a weird angle, but you'll get a wrench around it well enough to not worry about fucking it up.
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I use a 1/2" drive 19mm normal depth socket and a wobble extension or a 3/8" drive crow's foot (most brands are too fat though).
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My 19” deep 1/2” drive socket didn’t leave enough room for the socket wrench. The fuel rail and injector are in the way. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/4 drive deep 19mm socket will allow a little more room to attach a socket wrench??

Forced Firebid: not sure how you got a non-deep socket over the electrical connector? I guess I could break off the electrical connector. That would give me a clear shot at it.

MrBurgundy: didn’t try a wrench as the sensor sits deep in a well and I can see any way a wrench will get to it
          Last edited by E30andy; 02-15-2018, 06:34 AM.
          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

I removed the fuel rail wire harness which just pulls off the injectors. This gave me enough place to get to the sensor with a deep socket and extension.
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Is it a 12 point maybe? Not sure, but mine catches about 3/4 of the brass hex when it's on there with the sensor intact. You can't really get the extension on there squarely, but that sensor has very little torque on it. If you can get a socket to catch the brass, you probably could even use pliers to turn the socket.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ok thanks for the input guys. Gonna work on it this afternoon.
                1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Got it, thanks D. Martijn! Lifting the fuel rail was all it took to give me the space to remove it. Thanks guys!
                  1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
                    Got it, thanks D. Martijn! Lifting the fuel rail was all it took to give me the space to remove it. Thanks guys!
                    No problem, took me a while to figure out too :)
                    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                    X