No announcement yet.

316 superlite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's one positive thing about this rusty pile of s..t , kinda hard to explain though. I'm interested in making the chassis stiffer. Now , if I didn't have to pretty much cut it in to pieces and put it back together, I wouldn't know what I know now, where the chassis needs strengthening etc. (well , I think I know :) )

Once you cut something out and make a new part , you always make it stronger , and weld/glue it on so it sits on tighter than original.
    Before anyone asks, a roll cage is something I just don't want in a street car.

Reason I'm trying to rebuild this shell and not switch to a newer one in better condition , is that this one is so old. Once I re register it and have it MoT'd , it has less strict emission limits than cars 1986 onwards. Plus side indicators aren't mandatory before 1985.
    Last edited by petrolhead; 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Started work on the driver's side "engine carrier".

Old part looked bad on the outside, worse on the inside :O

Fully removed, I found moar rust inside & under it. No surprise there.

Trying to remove some of the brown stuff...

This needs a bit more wire brush, acid and sandblasting:

Wanted to see if an E28 sport seat and covering from E30 cabrio fit. Not much space to use the seat adjustments:

But what the hell, I only need to adjust it once :)

I found an even smaller and lighter brake booster, from a MkII Golf 1,3CL. In the pic mated to an E28 535i aluminium main cylinder. Saved another kg compared to MkI Golf booster. And ofcourse the original one is even heavier.

Fuel collector tank (or what do you call it, for scavenging anyway-) in the making. A buddy of mine TIG-welded it together. about 1,7 litres. Not pretty but doesn't leak. I'll just have to hide it well.

Re-routed the piping which holds fuel tank breather hoses, it now also supports the right rear shock tower. Bad pic quality I know :oops:
      Last edited by petrolhead; 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Dam those cars are sick. Love the louvers!
        1988 E30 335i - 1987 E30 327i - 1987 E30 327iS Pickup - 1973 2002 Project

Visit www.BimmerHeads.com for all of your 12 valve needs!

Comment

More poor quality pictures.. I got a pair of sidemirrors. Truly ugly but kinda light (= race ? :P )

Totally bolt on with a bit of drilling and cutting :)

Comment

Some de-rusting and testing for fitting....

Attempted fabrications, a failed prototype below :)

As for the number one black car.. I decided to take it off the road after we get home from the E30-meet in Muurame, Finland. I'll start working on it to get it ready for painting.

Comment

I bought one more E30, this time a 318iS. Not in very good shape. Now just standing there waiting for the right time/budget/inspiration..

Comment

Back to the black 316.. We started work on it, to get it ready for painting. I had several small dents and such straightened from it. A buddy of mine will do most of the preparations before painting. I'll take care of taking it apart as needed, and I'll do all the rust repairs myself. I'm just not handy at sanding primer paint and such.

I'll upload pictures HERE as we go along..

Comment

Very nice!

I like the louvers, dogleg CR gear box, rear spoiler!

Tell me have you ever seen a clock instead of a tachometer in any bmw 316? I was told that is what this came from:

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                  '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                    Very nice!

I like the louvers, dogleg CR gear box, rear spoiler!

Tell me have you ever seen a clock instead of a tachometer in any bmw 316? I was told that is what this came from:

One with a clock is pretty much considered "standard" on a euro 316. And on many other models as well. I must have 2 or three of those on the shelf gathering dust.

Comment

that could very well be the coolest piece of euro schwag ive seen yet
                      i would love to have one of those

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                        They replaced the Tacho with a clock with no second hand so you could time your 0-62mph in minutes.

True story.

Anyways the build is looks amazing so far, I have always had a want to rebuilt a M10 turbo monster. lol
                        keep up the great work.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                          .. I have always had a want to rebuilt a M10 turbo monster. lol
                          These cars will remain NA. Turbo'ed BMWs look great on 1/4 mile and such, but that's not my thing really. On a twisty backroad or racing circuit I'd always choose a car with NA engine & manual box.
                          I only lack the $$ to make that "old block" as big in displacement and rev as high as I'd like. 2300cc and over 8k rpm would not be rocket science.. But that's a story for later. The project-car is on hold til I get that black E30 painted.

Originally posted by CreamBeam View Post
                          that could very well be the coolest piece of euro schwag ive seen yet
                          i would love to have one of those
                          I wonder what it would cost to wrap one or 2 in bubble plastic and ship them to you. :/
                          Last edited by petrolhead; 07-10-2012, 07:11 AM.

Comment

so do i, hit me up with a PM if your serious we can talk

Comment

Originally posted by CreamBeam View Post
                              so do i, hit me up with a PM if your serious we can talk
                              I'll look into it. And I'll probably forget. Remind me :)

Cheers, Jarno

EDIT. Concerning the "superlite E30": I took measurements and did a few calculations on the M10 L-jet inlet manifold. It should be good for at least 160hp NA. This is supported by the horsepower that people have gotten from turboed M10, using the stock inlet manifold. Throttle that I've got now is more than big enough, so no point in investing on ITBs, for now.

EDIT2: I don't know what these are called, I bought them for the black car, and I had those nuts & other bits machined for them.

The point of these is to lower the front end just bit without the shock bottoming any more easily, and ofcourse camber adjustability.
                              Last edited by petrolhead; 07-11-2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I uploaded a few new pictures. Neither car is really going nowhere, (making any progress). Removing rust, putting on body filler and sanding it is driving me crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X