Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerty Classic Car Insurance // Feedback rqst

Afternoon all,

Since we all basically own or in a few years will own what the standard deems a 'classic automobile', I was wondering if anyone has opted to use Hagerty. I've begun to research the benefits/options that I would use and am considering changing policy.

My personal reasoning is due to the amount of money, time and honestly sentimental value that I feel for the E30.

Currently have USAA, which btw is outstanding and am simply wondering what everyone's thoughts are and if there are any who DO have it or thought of using Hagerty; would like to hear feedback.
    Last edited by keefy6; 02-16-2015, 10:10 AM.
    My old Style 5 Thread / My Swap
    1991 318IS :bow: 2.5L S14 Swap/BC Coilover suspension/Some new (old) wheels/
    IS Skirt-Lip/RG Splitter/M-Technic I Spoiler/Dogleg/3.46 Diff/Euro H4 headlights etc.
    1998 528I (Sold) // 2003 540I ///M Sport

I have Haggerty SilverWheels through Lant Brokerage (in Canada)
    my yearly insurance rate for the e30 runs about 260ish.
    an additional $60 for the term includes unlimited flatbed towing.

I never use my E30, it's a garage queen and used mostly on weekends and summer days however.
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Mr. Burns, that's about as much driving as I do as well. I haven't driven it now in almost a month...not that I haven't' wanted to.

It isn't a garage queen, it gets driven but I have the E39 and it's been the workhorse for 12 yrs.

That flatbed option sounds good.

Edit "classic automobile" to read "antique" i.e., 25yrs or older.
      IS Skirt-Lip/RG Splitter/M-Technic I Spoiler/Dogleg/3.46 Diff/Euro H4 headlights etc.

Comment

I have Hagerty on two cars that I use rarely.

Part of the requirements of Hagerty are that you need to have another normal, regularly insured daily driver car, and the Hagerty car needs to be kept in a locked garage when not being used. Pictures are also required for them to write the policy.

I like the Hagerty "agreed value" type policy for these enthusiast type cars. If someone hits my car and totals it I would get a set amount. No haggling with the insurance company over the car's value. I've had one claim over the 8 years - for a windshield - and it was settled immediately and to my satisfaction.

I can't give you any details about how they cover modifications, etc. My cars are bone stock. As mentioned. the towing coverage is excellent if you don't have AAA or something similar.

They tend to be a bit harsh with respect to wanting a squeeky clean driving record for anyone that will be driving the car (yourself or family members). I assume that is one of the ways they keep the rates low.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I have USAA as well, but found that due to restrictions specific to living in Oregon, they would not allow me to "store" (i.e. remove liability & collision) from the vehicle. However they do partner directly with another insurance company, American Collectors Insurance. It all gets paid through the same USAA bill, making everything easy.

As an example I pay about $425 for full coverage, including a 20,000 declared value amount, every 6 months. However during the winter when I store the vehicle I only pay the $90 comprehensive policy (in case the house burns down or whatever). Not a bad way to go for those of us that store a vehicle 6-ish months out of the year.

I'm sure Hagerty has lots of fans, but look in to American COllectors also. You can get a quote through your usual USAA pipelines.

Comment

I went with Grundy for mine. A lot cheaper than Hagerty and they were more lenient with how I was able to use the car.

Comment

CorvallisBMW , nauqneyugn

Thanks for the feedback.

So American Collectors, Grundy will check on those two

Comment

My e30 is with Hagerty.

Premium wise you cant beat Hagerty.

Do must of us meet their guidelines and underwriting rules...probably not. Original, not daily driven etc etc. They accepted my car, to be honest I was surprised, its clearly not original with a horrid complete body kit at the time (no longer).

Their website is great for quoting unlike most online insurance quotes Hagerty's is actually accurate.
                sigpic
                Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Is Grundy available in Ontario Canada?
                  I wouldn't mind saving a few more dollars and perhaps have a little more flexibility in terms of driving allowances
                  Originally posted by flyboyx
                  i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

613DRTY what is your yearly average cost if you don't mind?

Comment

I know you didn't ask me, but through Grundy (for my M3), with $20k agreed upon value and unlimited mileage, I am paying $280 yearly. My Haggerty quote was around $800.

Comment

Originally posted by nauqneyugn View Post
                        I know you didn't ask me, but through Grundy (for my M3), with $20k agreed upon value and unlimited mileage, I am paying $280 yearly. My Haggerty quote was around $800.
                        I should look into that. I also have a 20k policy with my m3 and paying $950 with hagerdy. Im 25 and in a populated area so my rates would prob be higher than most.

The Build:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

I have both cars with hagerdy, both verts, and Im 33, red car is $213, white car is $129 5k agreed upon value with a $500 deductible.
                          Last edited by rcsoundn1; 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Holy crap that's cheap...
                            -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                            -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Originally posted by keefy6 View Post
                              613DRTY what is your yearly average cost if you don't mind?
                              I happily paid $285 for my e30's policy this year, Hagerty is all based on value, we set my e30 at 5k. Might increase it this year after I repaint it etc.
                              sigpic
                              Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                              1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                              Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Working...
                              X