No announcement yet.

Turbo M42. The journey to 300+whp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-band is the way to go, I'm getting tired of taking the 5 bolt flange on and off every time I need to pull my engine out. Do you have a tig welder buttchug? and better pictures of intake plzzzz
    -Dee
    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
      V-band is the way to go, I'm getting tired of taking the 5 bolt flange on and off every time I need to pull my engine out. Do you have a tig welder buttchug? and better pictures of intake plzzzz
      Im making some slight mods to the intake. more pics of that when finished. Ive been using a buddys tig to get my work done.

Here are some pics of the finished new down pipe. Im happy with it.

Previous exhaust and intake were so restrictive. Hoping for much better numbers now even tho it was a blast to drive. Slow pace is due to serious 60+ work weeks. Literally dont have time to do anything.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Just read through the whole thread. Talk about motivating me to actually start the turbo build on my own M42!! Fantastic :D Hopefully mine turns out half as nice as yours one day.
        Current daily: 2003 Mitsubishi Evo (Isabelle)
        Gone, but never forgotten: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria, sold)
        1989 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
        1991 BMW 318is 5sp (Michaela; totaled)
        2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: mitsugal_jenni

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
          lol I took mine off twice and thats all it took. It made a good excuse to upgrade turbos ;D

Looks good as usual. When I went home for thanksgiving break I pulled the cover off my car, sat in it for a few minutes, shed a few tears then covered her back up.. :( Hope to see you ripping around in this thing soon.

Comment

I'm new here, (probably older than most of you) and have been actively educating myself on these cars by reading build threads like yours. I've read this thread from beginning to end.

I'm impressed with your progress. You started out 5 years ago as a bro with pink wheels and seemingly superficial mechanical knowledge, whose posts were humorous but hard to read. I see that you've steadily progressed into a college-educated, literate enthusiast, doing some advanced tuning and fabricating. That gives me hope for the future of car enthusiasts.

My only bit of advice is to ceramic-coat the hot parts instead of that fiberglass wrap. It's a much cleaner look, and won't corrode. Then again, you may not have the moisture issues we have here in the PNW, which reek havoc with those wraps (BTDT).

It's been a fun read, and I'm rooting for you. Keep the updates coming.
            '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
              You started out 5 years ago as a bro with pink wheels and seemingly superficial mechanical knowledge, whose posts were humorous but hard to read. I see that you've steadily progressed into a college-educated, literate enthusiast, doing some advanced tuning and fabricating. That gives me hope for the future of car enthusiasts.

I hope one day someone can write this about me. This was very pleasant to read, and made me feel good inside.
              world renown Harry Potter expert
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                still here guys. 2/10 lame pic for now. more details to come. also new goals. 350 wheel on water meth/ 91 pump. 20 psi

Ive never seen a. M42 look so good.... Nice work chuggs

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Wow. Epic thread! I've been daydreaming of a NA build up with ITB's on my M42...this makes me want boost :devil:

Also, I may have missed this, but how'd you get the wood grain finish on the valve cover?

Comment

Originally posted by MouseRat View Post
                    Also, I may have missed this, but how'd you get the wood grain finish on the valve cover?
                    I think it was hydro-dipped and clear coated.
                    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                    -----------------------------------------
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                      I think it was hydro-dipped and clear coated.
                      Ahh, thank you! It's certainly unique - I love it :p

Comment

Heres some changes I did recently. When I created the intake manifold I had not accounted for the Dblias adapter angle properly and ended up with problems. I wanted the plenum to sit level in the engine bay. After some quick adjustments and some more welding the issue was solved. Here are some close up shots of the end result. We have two vacuum ports installed underneath the plenum for a sleeker look (factory Dblias vacuum port is used to support my vacuum station you can see mounted near the fusebox)

Using stock M42 fuel rail (for now) with slightly modified inlet and outlet fittings to clear my intake mounting hardware. M50 throttle body assembly and E34 540i Throttle cable to operate it.

Surprisingly this build is still going after all these years. I believe I am at the point now where I have the proper setup to meet the turbos demand. It just wasn't right with the factory intake and throttle body.

I need to make slight adjustments to the tune in order to clear up a few hiccups. For some reason with the new intake my AFRs have dropped from close to 14 down into 11s even at full temp.

Here is the new intercooler piping mock up. The only thing missing here is the turbo intake pipe but its nothing special. The cone will be mounted completely outside the bay utilizing the receiver dryer hole in the chassis. Should look really clean.

Planning for wrinkle black manifold and charge pipes.

Moved away from full 3inch down to 2.5 charge pipe size. Its easier to work with and its not overkill like before. Should have some final engine bay pics after some wiring is cleaned up and a few items are routed differently. After than I guess dyno
                        Last edited by Dj Buttchug; 05-04-2016, 06:41 PM.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                        Ig:ryno_pzk
                        I like the tuna here.
                        Originally posted by lambo
                        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Dyno. Definitely dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                            Dyno. Definitely dyno.

Comment

Nice work on that intake manifold man! I think it'll look pretty good if you powder coat it wrinkle black. I'm curious to see how much this will improve your car along with the manifold from Otis, and the new down pipe. So definitely dyno.
                              -Dee
                              5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                              IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Very nice build.

I'm working on a M42 Turbo that is going into 2002 build. I'm having a hard time finding part numbers for ARP main studs for the M42. I'm interested in what others were buying ?

Thanks for any help.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X