Won't Go into Reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't Go into Reverse

Bringing a '87 325is back to life and finding that it won't go into reverse....not even the "notch" for the gear. All other gears shift very well.

The linkage and bushings look beat up so I will be replacing the complete set up with an IE short shift kit in the hopes that remedies the problem.

What could it be otherwise...broken teeth in the gearbox?

I'm no expert, but I would start by replacing all the bushings in the shifter assembly.....if all the bushings on the shifter assembly are already in good condition and it won't go into gear, a new quick shifter won't fix the problem. Will it go into 5th gear? 5th & Reverse activate with the same rod. If it goes into 5th fine, then the fork didn't lose it's pin.
    Last edited by CrashandBurn; 10-02-2017, 04:45 AM.

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but do you know where reverse is? When I first picked up my E30 I thought I had a blown reverse as well, but I didn't realize the shift pattern.

Reverse is directly to the left of the neutral position and then up. Mine can take a bit of force to pop it into gear at times.

If that's not it, remedying your linkage and checking the overall placement of your transmission would be the next step. If your transmission mounts are bad enough it could make it difficult to get into gear.

The G260 is a pretty robust transmission, I personally haven't seen one here or in person with a blown reverse, so I wouldn't give up hope on it just yet.

Comment

Yes....funny you should say that though! New shift kit and mounts are all being installed, hopefully that will be the remedy!

Comment

Let me know how it works out. I've managed to break 2 Getrag 260's by racing them and I'm on my third one now.

First one dropped the pin out of 1st & 2nd rod.....found it when I drained the oil.
          Second broke something internally.

You can get used ones from the salvage yard cheaper than you can rebuilding them, so I'm getting quite the collection.

Comment

Ok....all new linkage, mounts, bearings, etc. and it still won't go into gear. Totally stumped.

Comment

IMHO you have two options:

1. Transmission shop
              2. Salvage Yard

I would go with option No#2. My current tranny cost me $150 from a "pull-it-yourself" yard. Have your old one repaired, out of the car, or scrap it.

I can swap transmissions, by myself, in a weekend, so it's not difficult.

This is the part of E30 ownership that sucks!

Comment

Yep...just grabbed a new transmission today!

Comment

Working...
                X