Timing Belt Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Tensioner

I just finished my timing belt change on my M20, started the car up and was terrified at the squealing noise it made from the timing cover. When I was putting on the brand new tensioner it felt worse than the used one that came off. I used it anyways thinking its new it should be good and now I'm regretting it. With all the accessory belts off, only the timing belt moving and it still squeals like a pig. I took the timing covers off again to inspect for any problems, like the timing belt rub and everything is good. The only things that have changed are the tensioner and a Gates belt instead of the usual Continental.

Another thing worth noting that had me upset. The tensioner I ordered was a Febi/Bilstein. Out of the box it felt stiff and would only spin 1 rotation when spun by hand. While taking a better look at the tensioner, debating if I wanted to put this on my 130k M20, I noticed that the Febi/Bilstein tensioner that I ordered had Ina/Slovakia stamped onto the face. So I paid 40$ for a Febi/Bilstein quality tensioner and received a 20$ Ina stiff Squealing quality tensioner; in a Febi/bilstein box. I ordered another Febi/Bilstein tensioner from TurnerMotors this time around and received the same thing. A stiff Ina tensioner, like the squealing one I have on my car now, in a Febi/Bilstein box. So I dig my old tensioner out of the trash since it spun freely and was still in good shape. Then I saw the Ina stamp on my old tensioner. WTF.

Why are these tensioners so stiff? Is there a break in period on a tensioner that I never heard of in the 10 years of E30 life or is this tensioner going to break my rockers when it seizes? I'm worried and don't trust any of the 3 tensioners I have. I'm getting ready to reuse my old Ina tensioner even though I have spent 80$ in new Tensioners.

Last edited by RobDog; 11-06-2017, 10:32 PM.

I believe INA is an OEM supplier, I recall ordering some BMW pulleys and they were marked INA. I also remember the tensioners I replaced on my m20s to be firm(no freewheeling) without any play.

Comment

Never had an issue with the many INA's I've used... did you put it in correctly?

Buy from FCP euro . They have a lifetime warranty and get another....

BMW Timing Belt Tensioner - INA 11311468743
      325, 325e, 325es, 325i, 325is, 325iX, 525i, 528e
      Part #: INA-5310001100 is the OE brand... $21 with warranty.

Comment

Check this thread: Proper Timing Belt Tensioner?
        1990 325i
        2004 330i Individual 6-speed
        sigpic

Comment

A lot of the major brand suppliers re package parts that all come from the same OE mfg. Ive had INA tensioners that came w Conti kits and the new Conti kit in my hand has a tensioner with no brand but it is stamped Z127 (thats a must IMO). If I give it a good spin it will go around once with zero play in the bearing. Oh...the belt is made in Mexico and has a July 2015 date stamp.

New spring always
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I have had no problems with Ina tensioners in the past. The only 2 brands that I trust or buy are Febi and Ina when it comes to tensioners. I was just disappointed that Febi is boxing up Ina tensioners and marking them up. Also shocked that the current Ina tensioner on my car is squealing. I have second Ina tensioner that I am going to put on and see if the squealing goes away. I have had stiff tensioners in the past but they did not squeal.

I'm sure I have it on properly. I always Triple check everything when it comes to the timing belt. I took everything back apart and check to see if there was any problems or if I messed something up. Everything is good and working properly except for the noise. After I took my accessory belts off to confirm that the noise was coming TBelt, I got a long cardboard tube and put it against the timing cover where the tensioner is and located the noise easily. I sure that the Tensioner is squealing because there was no evidence of rubbing on the timing covers.

My E30 addiction spread to my family and between the 5 of us we own 10 e30's. I have done the timing belts on them all twice in the last 8 years. I have helped many friends with there belt changes and have done 25+ belt changes. This is a first, a bad tensioner out of the box? I guess I will see when I put another new tensioner on.
            Last edited by RobDog; 11-07-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Well I replaced the tensioner and the squealing went away. So it was a bad Febi/Ina tensioner brand new out of the box. I guess shit happens. The tensioner that I put on was just as stiff as the squealing one, so I guess I was just being paranoid about how freely it spun. I'm just happy to be driving my Mtech vert again without replacing the top end. Went for a drive with the top down in December! Gotta love New Mexico weather. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Febi quality is variable part- to- part and even day- to- day.

I used to trust them, then a bunch of things came through 'made in China'
                and I now mostly avoid the brand.

INA has yet to do me wrong.

It's gotten to be such a crapshoot these days, it's frustrating.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If you were to just replace the tensioner, do you have to replace the timing belt as well?

Edit: just looked at fcpeuro for example and its 20 bucks for a conti belt so not even worth it to risk it. but technically speaking do you have to?
                  Last edited by SteveO; 12-04-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I replaced my Gates belt with a Continental belt to be safe. I would have like to reuse my Gates belt since I paid a little over 60 dollars on a belt and the belt only has 5 minutes run time, but I do not know the definite answer myself. I figured it wasn't worth the risk for the price of a belt.

Comment

I've had squealing when there is too much tension On the belt
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        If you were to just replace the tensioner, do you have to replace the timing belt as well?

Edit: just looked at fcpeuro for example and its 20 bucks for a conti belt so not even worth it to risk it. but technically speaking do you have to?
                        Timing belts are a 1 time stretch, so if you pull the tensioner you change the belt.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                        X