OK to do timing belt in the cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK to do timing belt in the cold?

I need to get my timing belt changed on my M20, but all of these belt tensioner threads have me thinking (maybe too much).

Would it be OK to do the timing belt at say 40 degrees fahrenheit? I'm thinking I would keep the belt at room temperature until ready to install and try to get it tensioned ASAP.

Any thoughts out there?

It'll be fine, as long as the cold doesn't cause you to make a mistake. No more harmful than parking the car in the cold.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

-40F = -40C

Stuff that. Stay inside drinking wine instead.

Comment

He didn't say minus.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
          I need to get my timing belt changed on my M20, but all of these belt tensioner threads have me thinking (maybe too much).

Would it be OK to do the timing belt at say 40 degrees fahrenheit? I'm thinking I would keep the belt at room temperature until ready to install and try to get it tensioned ASAP.

Any thoughts out there?
          Way overthinking it ,you can do it at any temp and long as your fingers work

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
          Angus
          88 E30M3 X2
          89 325IX
          92 R100GS/PD
          :)

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            -40F = -40C

Stuff that. Stay inside drinking wine instead.
            I like that way of thinking.... that's probably the reason my e30 project was on jack stands for over a year now....... :)

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              He didn't say minus.
              Hmm dunno where I got minus from. 4degC is still a bit toooo chilly for my liking. I think my recomendation to drink wine inside still stands.

I remember the coldest I experienced in canada was -32degC, which is about -26F. I gained a new appreciation for automotive materials working at those temps while living in Canada. If the timing belt can put up with -26f, 40f will like a summers day.

Comment

I was imagining a cold belt stretching after getting warm leaving slack tension. I'll probably still keep the belt in overnight so it will be nice and flexible.

Comment

I think you are overthinking it. Make sure everything lines up, put the belt on, introduce the tensioner, spin CW by hand a few times stopping at TDC, readjust the tensioner and tighten everything up.

Comment

Working...
                  X